Search Unity

World Building Modular Building System (MBS) - Tool that help easily create buildings inside Unity Editor

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by t2g4, Nov 6, 2021.

1. t2g4

t2g4

MBS - Modular Building System

Hi Guys! My name is Roman, I'm developer from Siberia!

I'm making the tool, that will help devs to easily create buildings right inside Unity Editor (in Edit Mode) without modeling or texturing skills. The tool, that flexible enough to add new assets to it with different size, geometries, materials, textures, scripts and use them. Better see:

Basicaly, the purpose is to create builder, that would be simple in use as builder in Sims games, flexible and designer-friendly.

Features:

1) Asset Packs

Any designer can create it's own mbs asset pack with it's own models that can be designed in any style and add it to the MBS, share it with others, or sell it on AssetStore. The plugin can work with different walls, floors (and other types) models, it doesn't matter if model is big, small, thick or it is just a plane with a texture. This allows you to create realistic buidlings with thick outer walls and thin inner walls.
    simple_touse_2.jpg

2) Automatic meshes processing

The one of the key feature is automatic process of meshes. For example: when two walls connected with each other in certain point and at certain angle (for ex. 90) they are intersect each other, and they do not form good looking corner, to form good looking corner the corners of these meshes should be moved little bit. This plugin makes it automatically, when walls connect to each other it is calculate the angle, and all needed variables and move the corners of the mesh to form good looking corner. This will make it easier for designers, they will have to create fewer models.
    simple_1.jpg

MBS in Asset Store: the link

My socials:
    Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/t2g4
    Email: roman.indiedev@gmail.com

Youtube: https://bit.ly/3tlv5DG

p.s: i'm not native speaker, excuse me if i wrote smth wrong

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  2. t2g4

t2g4

I would like to know what functions you need as a game developer in such a plugin, leave the comments!

3. Teila

Teila

Hey I could use this. Do you have more info? Can I make my own walls and windows and doors and put them into your tool?

Send me more info please. :)

4. t2g4

t2g4

5. Teila

Teila

Nice video but is there more information?

6. Teila

Teila

Definately going buy this. What do you plan to add? Roofs? Anything else?

7. t2g4

t2g4

Yeah, in the plans: exterior and interior placer, roof creation tool and stairs creation tool.
    Here is my new video with more information about the plugin:

8. nomax5

nomax5

Can you use ProBuilder created objects with this?
    If I make a wall in probuilder and a wall with a door and a wall with a window can I make an asset pack out of them?

9. t2g4

t2g4

Hi Nomax5,

I never worked with Probuilder, but I think - yes, because the principle the same, the prefabs you get from probuilder have meshFilter / meshRenderer. If so - it should work.

10. t2g4

t2g4

Oh, by the way, I'm working on a new feature - prefab placer, this is how it looks like. It is not published yet, I need some time to polish it.

11. Diegoale2000

Diegoale2000

This seems like it would be an excellent way of also creating exteriors based around tiled prefabs, any hopes for that to be the case?

Teila likes this.
  12. t2g4

t2g4

Yeah, of course, exterion/interior - no matter what, just import it and use it.

But, unfortunately this update is delayed. I'll will publish it as soon as posible, but I think it will take not less than month. My only laptop burned down, need to buy new one, it will take some time.

13. Fabraz

Fabraz

Hey @t2g4 ! Hope you're doing okay now! Been loving this plugin so far but had a few questions/issues:
    1. In your documentation you mention creating a MBS Asset Pack, but that option doesn't seem available. I got around it by directly adding assets in Core < AssetsManager. Is that the intended way to do it and the doc is just out of date?

2. I'm trying to add more floor tiles but it only seems to be able to use one? (I also noticed an issue where some assets added get reset, I think due to a GUI ID conflict.)

3. Are there any plans to allow for slopes?

4. It seems inconsitent when the corner tiles kick in and shift clicking to fill a room also only sometimes work?

5. I've noticed the griid sometimes changes it size randomly too.

I'm on Unity URP 2021.3.8f1 btw. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  14. Fabraz

Fabraz

Some updates after further tinkering for anyone else who's curious:
    1. It is indeed completely different and it's supposed to just auto populate from the folder! It's a little funky but workable!

2. Floor tiles REQUIRE corner tiles otherwise they won't show up!

3. I can create slope tiles which work pretty well. And to fill ceilings I can create tiny ceiling walls to then auto fill. Both good work arounds though official ways to do it would still be nice!

4. This was due to the model not being properly set up in Blender, the requirements are VERY exact.

5. This was due to the grid set in the builder was fighting the value set in the material, would be cool if some values in the material could be set per grid and kept that way instead like height etc.

Anyway, got most of the issues sorted! :)