Search Unity

Modular 3D Text - Complete ingame ui sytem

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Ferdowsur, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Hi,
    Looks like there are some issues with the fonts. They need to be fixed in some kind of font editor before getting used.
    I suggest Font forge, it's free.

Here are some things I suggest:
    1. The letters aren't centered properly.

Open the font in font forge, Right click the affected characters and click Center in Width

2. Flipped characters. Example: d in the mono font. The spacing of the fonts are fine but the pivot of the character is way off, so it looks like the spacing is off.
    In font forge double click the letter to open the editor, press Ctrl + Shift + D or go to Elements > Correct direction.
    You might want to unlink it too. Not always necessary but suggested.

3. Also, select all the characters,
    Elements > Simplify > Simplify.
    Overlap > Remove Overlap.

4. Font forge should suggest some options itself when you generate the font, apply them as well.

There could be other issues but that's all I found with a quick lookup.
    I think the easiest option would be to use a different similar font. But if you decide to fix this one and need any help, don't hesitate to contact, always happy to help.

Hopefully I explained it properly. I am super sick. My grammar is a bit more off than usual:(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    ratking likes this.
  2. NoteMEdown

NoteMEdown

Hey, I am using v2.0.0 and I am getting some scenes that have this same problem. I believe it happened when I made the text a prefab. That is what seemed to really mess things up.

That script did help fix the issue though.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  3. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Hi,
    There is a newer version on the asset store. Please update to that version and that should stop the issue from reappearing

4. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Hey, the online documentation seems to be deleted?

Also all my text seems to be arranged vertically on default settings but I can't find anything related to bounding boxes

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  5. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Here a screenshot

Attached Files:

• Text.png
      Text.png
      File size:
      308.3 KB
      Views:
  6. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Hi
    This is the link of the documentation : https://app.gitbook.com/@ferdowsur/s/tinygiantstudios/
    Seems to be working. Maybe it was down for some reason.

upload_2021-5-2_21-45-30.png
    The bounding box is the length and height. In the scene view, turn on Gizmos. You will be able to see it as well. They will appear vertically if they don't fit in length.

From looking at the screen shot, if I didn't miss anything, it seems like they should fit Horizontally. Is it happening with all fonts or that particular one. If it's only that font, can you select that font and check the character spacing value in that font. The spacing should be 1 in most cases. Maybe it was changed accidentally.

7. alxdncn

alxdncn

Hi - I tried setting up some Katakana fonts and was unable to get it to work in the Blender extension. I get the following error. I was running this on Blender 2.92 and Windows.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2.   File "C:\Users\Alex\Documents\GitHub\JapaneseText\Assets\Tiny Giant Studio\Modular 3D Text\Blender Font Extractor\Font Extractor - Unzip to use\Open with blender - Text extractor.blend\Text Extractor", line 45, in execute
    3.   File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.92\2.92\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py", line 132, in __call__
    4.     ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
    5. RuntimeError: Operator bpy.ops.object.select_all.poll() failed, context is incorrect
    7. location: <unknown location>:-1
    I even get an error with the default character range that the Blender scene opens with. This is the error in that case:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
    2.   File "C:\Users\Alex\Documents\GitHub\JapaneseText\Assets\Tiny Giant Studio\Modular 3D Text\Blender Font Extractor\Font Extractor - Unzip to use\Open with blender - Text extractor.blend\Text Extractor", line 130, in execute
    3.   File "C:\Users\Alex\Documents\GitHub\JapaneseText\Assets\Tiny Giant Studio\Modular 3D Text\Blender Font Extractor\Font Extractor - Unzip to use\Open with blender - Text extractor.blend\Text Extractor", line 57, in processLetter
    4. RuntimeError: Error: Cannot read 'C:\Users\Alex\Documents\GitHub\JapaneseText\Assets\Tiny Giant Studio\Modular 3D Text\Blender Font Extractor\Font Extractor - Unzip to use\Open with blender - Text extractor.blend': unsupported font format
    7. location: <unknown location>:-1
    Am I doing something wrong?

8. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Hi,
    Sorry to hear you are having issues.

The first error appears if you try to extract the font in Edit mode. Please swap to object mode first to do it.
    (I will change it to work in both mode next update)

The second error says unsupported font format. Will it be possible to share the font file? I got the Katakana font from here to test: https://www.dafont.com/katakana.font
    If it's the same font, can you check the font file downloaded from here?

9. alxdncn

alxdncn

Thanks for getting back to me - it seems I missed a step. So I need to download a font first (ttf, for example) and then, when I click extract, I select that font. Is that right? I'm a bit confused about how to set the range, however. When I left it as a default (! to ~) it worked fine. When I actually tried to select the Katakana range, they all came out as squares.

10. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Hi,
    Yes, you are on the correct process.
    Blender writes squares when a font doesn't have the appropriate character. Sounds like Blender can't find the characters in the Katakana range.

Can you check if the font has the characters? There several ways to check it.

Example
    :
    1. Install the font on your computer,
    2. Open up a Doc,
    3. Type the missing characters with the font.
    4. Check if they are written and in the correct font you are checking. Some software like MS Word automatically changes the font for characters that don't exist in the original font. So, they dont appear as block but that specific character is in a different font.

Or,

Open the font in something like Font Forge and you can check all info/characters of the font.

11. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Version 2.0.2
    • Editor performance improvement
    • Fixed a bug that was causing issue creating new lines in text in Editor

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  12. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Version 2.1.0
    • Updated asset to 2019 Unity version to comply with up-coming Asset store requirement.
    • Bugfix: List/Button visual updates now sets text dirty to mark/save changes.
    • Bugfix: In-editor, List/Button no longer updates text unnecessarily.
    • Bugfix: Fixed a bug where controlling list with keyboard when list had 0 elements caused a error.
    • In editor darkmode, modules have better coloring.
    • Updated almost all inspectors.

13. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Version 2.1.3
    • Bugfix: Parent scale not properly being applied to text

14. Ferdowsur

Ferdowsur

Version 2.2.0
    • Bugfix: Fixed text updater empty mesh check.
    • Bugfix: Scripting define fix that was causing build error.
    Version 2.1.3
    • Bugfix: Parent scale not being applied to combined mesh properly

unityunity