Search Unity

Modular 3D Text - Complete ingame ui sytem

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FerdowsurAsif, Feb 4, 2020.

1. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

New version 1.3.2 is live on the asset store.
    - Removed the "You can't have any other child object of the object with Modular3DText attached" limitations.
    - Massive Inspector UI improvements. Such as options to enable disable specific styles from applying.
    - Modules now work with List & Buttons.
    - Large Text combine bug fixed.
    - Fixed a bug where unselect event was being called twice
    - Custom delete after duration option added

Edit: If you are updating, I suggest removing the Modular 3D text Folder and then downloading the newer version. There won't be any bugs(I think) if you don't but some folder hierarchy have changed. This is the last hierarchy change.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q likes this.
  2. unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

bro, it's great to see this asset is being improving day by day, it's a great tool to replace the boring TextMeshPro,
    Btw, I'm not abusing but if you can provide a script that can wrap the text around an object such as cylinder or a cube in both vertical and horizontal directions (or any angel will be great).

I hope to have this feature soon...

Example:

3. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

I will look into it and let you know as soon as possible. :)

4. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

This is what I got.

I will polish it, check for bugs and push update within 2/3 days

Can't really curve the button meshes with the current tool-set.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

There was a bugfix I needed to update, so I pushed a newer version with the current state of the Circular Text.
    I will try to polish it and push a better version as soon as possible.

New version 1.3.21
    - Fixes a bug with ".", the dot . Looks like it was introducing some other small annoyances.
    - Circular text early version added.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  6. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

I was thinking of ways to juice up Circular Text Layout. And noticed I forgot to include any way to animate not changing texts. With this I think I covered most use cases. Let me know if I missed any. Next few updates will be focused on adding more ways to animate.

Neon Sign:

shyamarama and SpaceRay like this.
  7. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Version 1.3.2 has been submitted to the asset store.
    Unless luckily it gets approved today, expect new version after the weekends.

New Version 1.3.22:
    • Bug-Fixes:
      • Fixed a bug where text alignment was one character off when centered and two off when aligned right.
      • Circular Layout Text works a bit better now
    • New:
      • Loop animations
      • Sample Scene: Shop Sign (Loop animation)
      • Sample Scene: Damage Effects
      • Slider has a new method: UpdateValue(int/float)
    • Changes:
      • Slight improvement to VR Sample scene
      • Add Rigidbody module has more options now and has a bouncy physics material assigned by default
      • Some built-in fonts improvement

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    SpaceRay likes this.
  8. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

hello, Great that you are improving and making it better each time and keep adding more features

Like much the idea of the animated neon sign, very interesting and cool.

SHOW TEXT BUTTON ONLY ONCE AND NEVER AGAIN

As you have many button options on your asset

Please, can you be so kind to help with something? I want to have a button that has a text and a script, but that this button is only shown once after installing the game, and then after it has been pressed once, it disappears and never again is shown

I have found this thread, but as I have very little knowledge about scripting I am sorry that I do not understand how to do it.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36611093/hide-button-in-unity3d

Can you help me? thanks very much.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  9. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Thank you very much.

This would work the same way as normal buttons.

Firstly you need a way to remember that something has happened after the application was closed. A easy way to achieve that would be PlayerPrefs
    Since the only thing you need remembered is a button press, you can simply save a int value.

1. In Awake() just check the value of your int. If it's 1, don't show the button.
    2. When the button is pressed, set it's value to 1.

Side note: Before you set int value, it will always return 0.

Example Code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject myButton;
    3.     void Awake()
    4.     {
    5.         if (PlayerPrefs.GetInt("buttonWasPressedBefore") == 1)
    6.         {
    7.             myButton.SetActive(false);
    8.         }
    9.     }
    11.     //Assign it to Button OnClick Event. Same as unity UI
    12.     void PressButtonEvent()
    13.     {
    14.         //Sets Playerpref
    15.         PlayerPrefs.SetInt("buttonWasPressedBefore", 1);
    17.         //Disables button after clicking
    18.         myButton.SetActive(false);
    20.         //Do your stuff here
    21.     }

10. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

New sample scene in 1.3.22

Shoot-new.gif

11. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks really very much for fast and detailed answer, I can tell you that it did work correctly although I had to put
    public void PressButtonEvent() for it work

Now the button only works once the first time and then it gets deleted.

Again thanks a million for your help

Cool and great that you can show health reduction of the object, player or enemy in this animated way

FerdowsurAsif likes this.
  12. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Always happy to help :)

13. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Version 1.3.2 is live.

14. unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

Thanks for new update

15. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  16. unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

I recommend some Happy Celebration effect like spellings, power/level up, pick up items...

17. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

You can select any particle effect you would like for the text.
    I will look into making some kind of animation for the text that feels "Happy/Positive".

Edit: Haven't been able to put together anything for version 1.3.23. I have something big planned for it. But will take some time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  18. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Version 1.3.23
    - To Upper Case, To Lower Case Toggle
    - New Particle System Module + Sample Scene
    - Slider & Input string visual update methods now take style options from List just like buttons
    - New utility panel customization tab to set up default font/material etc. Or just update every item in the scene. It's still in active development and will have more features added on later. Found in Tools>Modular Text

- Online Documentation has been moved to new link. Old link will still be updated for a while.
    - Scripting reference change list will now be included in the documentation.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  19. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Working on a tool to create 3D fonts from TTF font files inside Unity. Need to tweak some stuff and will push an update soon (1-3 days).

upload_2020-6-15_4-59-57.png

SpaceRay likes this.
  20. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Pushing the new update 1.4.0 within a few hours.

Here is a tutorial on how to create 3D fonts much faster using the new tool

Edit: New version has been submitted to the asset store.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  21. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

1.4.0 is live on the asset store.

22. unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

awesome!

Mate, may I know where can I find this sample?

23. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

This specific Shader is made by Brackey. He makes some awesome Tutorials.

Link for the hologram shader Tutorial:

If you are in a hurry and just need the Shader, don't want to watch the tutorial. Link to the whole project: https://github.com/Brackeys/Shader-Graph-Tutorials/tree/master/Shader Graph/Assets
    (The youtube tutorial is pretty informative though, I suggest watching it.)

Remember to install shadergraph via package manager first if you don't have it installed yet. Depending on which Render Pipeline you are using, you might have it already installed.
    You need the Shaders folder & Textures folder. After importing them create a material using any of those Shaders. Select the textures for the newly created materials. And you got the Hologram Shader.

If you run into any problem, feel free to let me know. Always happy to help :)

24. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Version: 1.4.01
    Scripts have have positioned better for assembly definition files
    Some under-the-hood changes to in-editor font creator. Complex geometries should work a bit faster
    Sliders can now have events based on the percentage left.
    Sample Scene 14: Damage Effects have been updated with new slider feature.

(New!) Sample Scene 16: Chest

(New!) Position change module

Since I am uploading the update in a Saturday, expect new version to be live on Monday/Tuesday.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    shyamarama likes this.
  25. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Added the new scene(^as seen on the post above) + new modules to create something like a happy achievement celebration.
    The colors are a bit of washed out though and stuff like Particle System isn't of the best quality. I will polish it more later.

For something like a spellings, power/level up, pick up items I am guessing a status UI float up would be appropriate.

It's a text prefab with all the modules and settings Set-Up, named "Float Up Text"
    When you want to make it appear, Just UpdateText("+Your Number") and after the time when you want it to disappear, Just UpdateText(""); with empty string.

26. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

Hi Ferdowsur,

I really like your asset it is really helpful. But I am trying out your new update 1.4 and get some error messages, I can not import new fonts with the new Font Creation Tab. Here are the error messages:

firestError.jpg secondError.jpg
    I am trying to Import this font: https://www.dafont.com/de/oh-my-baby.font

I followed your Youtube Tutorial, but the .obj files are empty, do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? Thank you very much!

27. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi EgoJacky,

Sorry to hear about your problem.
    I checked the font and it seems to be working fine. (Link to the obj)

I have some questions that would help to pinpoint the problem.
    1. Are you having this issue with any other font?
    2. Can you right click the exported obj and select "Reimport". Check if this fixes the issue.
    3. Is your hard drive full?
    4. Which Unity version you are using? The only relevant issue I found was a bug in Unity fixed in Unity 2017.1 version.
    5. (This point is HIGHLY unlikely to happen.) What character range are you using? Unity has a pretty high limit of around few GB each file, I don't remember exact number. Maybe you are surpassing it? the entire english language with all the symbol is just 4ish mb, so this issue shouldn't happen but saying just incase.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  28. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

Hi, thanks for your fast answer,

1. I tested 2 other fonts still the same problem. (https://www.dafont.com/de/chickens-lovers.font , https://www.dafont.com/de/search.php?q=retrow+mentho)
    2. No reimport of the obj didnt help, I also tried to Reimport your Asset that also didnt help.
    3. No my hard drive is not full.
    4. I am using: Unity 2019 2.4f1
    5. I am using the standard range from "!" to "~", I also tried a range from "1" to "9" but this also didnt work.

Dont know if this helps but the created .obj is not complete empty there is 1 single triangle^^

Hope we can solve this problem, Thank you very much!
    EgoJacky

29. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

I am looking into it.
    One other thing, are you on Linux?

30. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

No i am on Windows, just tried it with a different computer (also windows) with Unity 2018 3.3f1, still get the same problem.

31. tabulatouch

tabulatouch

Hello guys,
    Just using your asset for an incoming demo, everything fine in the Editor but when i built the player... boom.
    There are many scripts that are editor-only but are included in the build, therefore not building!!

Commenting things out doesn't work.
    Please HELP !

-----

Assets\Tiny Giant Studios\Modular 3D Text\Scripts\Utilities\MText_Window.cs(12,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'EditorWindow' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Tiny Giant Studios\Modular 3D Text\Scripts\Utilities\MText_Window.cs(14,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SerializedObject' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Tiny Giant Studios\Modular 3D Text\Scripts\Utilities\MText_Window.cs(30,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'MenuItemAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets\Tiny Giant Studios\Modular 3D Text\Scripts\Utilities\MText_Window.cs(30,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'MenuItem' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

32. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem.
    Delete the asset from your project and redownload it. It will work fine

33. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi,
    I downloaded and tried with four different Unity versions, tried multiple PCs with different OS, tried guest user accounts and even had two other publisher take a look. Sorry to say, can't find any clue how to recreate the issue & what might be causing it.

I wanted to be able to recreate the problem and fix it without disturbing you much. I can give you full refund for the asset if you are rightfully annoyed. :( . Drop me a message at : asifno13@gmail.com with so that I can CC you when contacting Unity Support to process the refund.

If you are are still interested in the asset and want to work through the issue,
    1. Open a fresh new, empty project,
    2. import the latest version of the asset from asset store
    3. copy this file to Modular 3D Text/Scripts/Editor . Overwrite the existing file.
    4. Then try to create a font.
    5. The new file will keep a copy of the created mesh in the scene. It would be a single parent object with the font name as it's name and have child objects for each character. The child objects should all be at position (0,0,0) by default. Can you confirm that you have them as well. You can move them around to see if they are alright

It would help pinpoint if the .obj file creation is actually the issue.
    (Edit: If it really is the issue, I can just swap obj exporter to a simple mesh asset exporter)

upload_2020-6-30_4-9-2.png

(in the meantime you can use Blender font exporter to create 3D fonts if you are in a hurry.)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  34. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

Hey,

your Assets is working on my old mac so I can use it there for the moment, no refund needed. I tried out your workaround with the new Windows file, it worked like you said. It created the meshes inside my scene. Tested it with 2 Fonts, first one worked well but at the second Font (https://www.dafont.com/de/oh-my-baby.font), the little "a" and "b" are missing, dont know if that is the fault of the font or something else.

Many thanks
    EgoJacky

35. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Glad to hear it.

This is a bit surprising though I didn't expect the obj exporter to be an issue since it uses a open source popular script used by many. Thought my mesh triangulation was the issue in which field I am not confident at all.

I will rewrite the code to save the meshes as asset directly with built in unity method instead of converting it into obj just to have one file. Which was the original method anyway. I will send you the updated scripts soon.

I will add it as a option permanently to the asset so that you get access to future updates. :)

Edit: The missing letters issue has been fixed. Will add it to update.

36. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi,
    I sent you a updated package with a mesh asset exporter. Just choose export mesh as asset

upload_2020-7-1_11-58-7.png

37. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

Hi,

thank you very much, your updated package now also works on my Windows PC. Thanks for your fast answers and awesome support.

best wishes
    EgoJacky

38. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Glad to hear it is working. Always happy to help. :)

Edit: Already added the new exporter to asset store version and all future updates will include it.

39. unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

I tried to use this feature, it's awesome. May j have another suggestion? Can it wrap the circle in 2 modes:
    1. Close (360deg, it's current version)
    2. Open (up to the length of the string only). Example:

Or did i missed out something in the settings?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  40. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

I added a spread amount. I will push an update with it today/tomorrow along with some other stuff.

upload_2020-7-9_9-59-21.png

I will look into having a automated amount of spread according to size like normal texts. As it is right now, circular texts work a bit differently(inefficiently). I will need to rewrite some stuff.

41. unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

unity_Zf3d_qzQMfmU3Q

Amazing...

42. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Got Multi-line Circular layout+ spread angle to work. But currently all characters are equally spaced in circular texts though.

Version 1.5.0
    - Right to left language support added
    - Circular text spread angle can be specified now
    - Multi-line circular text support
    - Circular List spread angle can be specified now

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  43. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

New update is live on the asset store

44. EgoJacky

EgoJacky

Hey Ferdowsur,

I get an error when i try to build for Windows (64bit) at this point:
    upload_2020-7-13_15-22-9.png

I am using your newest Version 1.5 with Unity 2019.2.4f1, do you have a idea how to solve this problem?

Greetings
    EgoJacky

45. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi,
    Looks like a big bug. Apologies :'( . I sent you an updated script in your Forum Inbox. Replace the Modular3DText.cs file in your project with this one.

Edit: I uploaded a new version 1.5.01 with the bugfix

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  46. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Version 1.5.02
    • New:
      • Sample scene: Damage effect example usage script have been removed and replaced with StatusToolTip script with more functionality and for ingame usage, not just example usage.
    • Changes:
      • In-Editor font creator now adjusts vertex density automatically. Before some characters were too complicated to create with low vertex density.
        tldr: all characters should be included in the font created inside editor without user needing to do anything manually to include them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    shyamarama likes this.
  47. crazy_genius

crazy_genius

why i cannot attach an image to a button?

48. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi,
    Can you elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to accomplish?

If you mean a plain image as a background for buttons, you can create a Plane, assign the image you want to that plane as texture. Just delete the old background of the cube and assign the new plane to the button as background.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  49. yumeng1022

yumeng1022

Hi Ferdowsur , this asset looks very promising.

i don't have try it , there are some question about it :
    1. does it support mobile ? if support, how about the performance in mobile ?

2. can Text be adjusted in playMode runtime ?
    ( I means if lunch the build asset in mobile ,then user just input a text string in 2D InputFiled UI , does user then has the capability to change this text's Extrude value /Bevel value just like as in Blender's Extrude/Bevel in runtime play mode ?)

3. Does the Text user input from UI textbox ( for example "ABC" text ) just turn into 3D format ABC in time , or ABC is just pickup from a pre-generated 3D (A~ Z) Container ? if these Charaters are pre-generated , will it be huge for Storage and memory ? especially for mobile ? take Chinese character set for example , it is maybe too huge if pre-generate whole 3d Version.

4. a whole process video tutorial is preferred.

50. FerdowsurAsif

FerdowsurAsif

Hi :),

It supports mobile. It's pretty lightweight to run. The characters are per-genarated for this purpose.

Yes, users can adjust z scale run-time. There is also a set of 3D UI elements, including 3d input fields if you want a ready-made solution. No, there are no option to adjust Bavel value.

They are picked up from per-generated list. It's much more efficient to just per-generate them than do all the calculation in mobile platform. Yeah, depending on the font & Language, it can get pretty big. Here is a example of sizes in project of included fonts with just english language with it's different symbols. Sorry I don't have any examples in build or in Chinese language at the moment.
    upload_2020-8-8_16-1-41.png

Link to documentation : https://ferdowsur.gitbook.io/tinygiantstudios/
    I am in the process of creating a new video. If there is anything particular you want me to specify, I will be glad to include it in the video.
    But, there aren't really too much different from unity's built in Text system. Everything is pretty user friendly. Just right click in the scene hierarchy and create 3d text from the 3d objects list just like creating a cube.

Update text code is just UpdateText("string"); with different parameters for ease of use. int, float, string and empty.

How to create fonts :