Search Unity

@modonauts: some 401 infos

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by taumel, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ryanzec

ryanzec

XSI still exists, doesn't autodesk own it (unless that is your point :) ). I would say that now it cost 3000 (no more foundation version), it really is no longer the best bang for you buck tho.

2. Jessy

Jessy

I assure you they own what used to be called XSI!

I assure you it doesn't!

3. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

The product formerly known as XSI is now Autodesk Softimage 7.5.

Have any of you tried a workflow that models and textures in Modo and animates in the Mod Tool? Crosswalk's FBX export should facilitate this very easily.

4. ryanzec

ryanzec

I guess I could technically try this even tho it would be against the Mod Tool license since the work I want to do with Unity will be commercial.

5. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

I'm curious to read the new terms when Mod Tool 7.5 is released. Premium members of the XNA Creators Club ($99/year) can use the Mod Tool Pro commercially.

6. BSECaleb

BSECaleb

I'm still considering Modo for modeling and using Softimage for CA. I just hate to spend another $800+ for tools that are already present in Softimage, in addition to keeping Softimage up to date. Since I use Unity in OS X as well as Photoshop (texturing) in OS X its a real pain to tweak something in Softimage then move it in and out of the VM over and over and over. Plus the Softimage performance and stability in Parallels is horrible. Using Modo would mean the only part of my pipeline that would be dependent on me booting into windows would be CA.

For those who have worked with Modo are the export tools friendly? Buggy?

7. ryanzec

ryanzec

I am pretty sure you are limited to creating content for XNA 360 games, not just any games but I could be wrong.

8. taumel

taumel

@Jessy
    Yup didn't use the proper term, it's just that i'm way more used saying XSI than Softimage, anyway the statement remains. ;O)

@BSEJames
    Regarding static meshes i'm having no problems with using OBJ and FBX, mostly using OBJ due to that there is less trash in there, but as thylaxene alread pointed out it could be more featurerich.

9. taumel

taumel

10. thylaxene

thylaxene

Modo FBX is very robust in my experience, I'm playing with very large models as well, with dual UV sets and I'm having no issues bringing them into Unity. However, you do need to remember to delete unneeded cameras, lights and texture locators, as they all come into Unity and make things a bit messy (structure wise).

I must admit I'm thinking about finally updating my Maya license to 2009 and getting Mudbox. I like the feel of Mudbox on OSX a lot... it feels like a professional tool and performs very well from what I have garnered from the demo.

So unless modo 401 comes with paint/sculpting/game related updates I'm jumping off that upgrade path for a while and reverting to a Maya/Mudbox/Unity pipeline.

Just my 2c

Cheers.

11. taumel

taumel

But again you have to respect how cool it is that they allow you to upgrade from any version to the latest one for the same price. So a Modo 101 to Modo 501 would still be a normal upgrade.

More as Autodesk planned to make their upgrade paths more expensive. I really loved the first 3ds from Dan Silva and my older 3dsMax licence but somehow Autodesk is making some weird decisions since quite some time.

I wonder how UTEE deals with this. What if someone wants to upgrade from Unity 1.x to Unity 3.x for instance, when the time is ready?

12. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

I think customer loyalty should count for something.

By all means occasionally discount your upgrades so that lapsed customers can step back onto your platform, but the year-round flat pricing scheme is a huge incentive to skip entire update cycles.

13. taumel

taumel

Why?

If you buy the software you can make usage out of the new features, that's what you're paying for. If you don't need it or have something better to do in between then you don't but once you want to come back they don't throw you hurdles between your legs and it's easy and affordable.

Simple and easy, i really love Lux for how they handle these things!

14. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Different strokes for different folks!

15. taumel

taumel

16. Hanford

Hanford

looks like Brad didn't block out the other menus as he did previously; I've not been following the reveal too closely so I'm not sure if all the menus are now revealed, but perhaps there's some new information to be gleaned from studying the UI in the videos ...

17. taumel

taumel

Yep, but why making it so complicated instead of just enjoying this reveal?! :O)

18. taumel

taumel

19. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

The pre-order price will increase dramatically in another week.

There will be no pre-order shortly.

20. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Sooner than that!

21. Scott-M

Scott-M

22. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Just installed! Let's see if I get around to learning how to use this version. :oops:

23. taumel

taumel

Still downloading, i'm looking forward browsing through the presets first. :O)

24. taumel

taumel

Very, very, very cool!

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

what about Character animation?

I 'm looking for good CA sofware to work with Unity.

26. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Close...but not yet.

27. taumel

taumel

Yep, hopefully in 402 and if not, then finally in 501.

But until then i can enjoy quite some of the new functionality in Modo. I think i could pass the time only with putting fur on every model i come around. *<:)O)

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm planning to work with Modo 401 + Zbrush 4 but what could i use for Character Animation?

I have experience only with Cinema 4D

29. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

We had another thread going around at the time that this thread was created asking the same question. It's not easy to answer because each has its strengths and weaknesses.

EDIT: Here's the link to that thread http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=22016

Maya and Softimage are your best character animation options, but they're expensive. The latter is only available on the PC.

The other two options are C4D and Lightwave, but they each have limitations that have been reported by other users.

If you have played with Modo and like its modeling approach, you may feel at home with Lightwave which was created by Modo's authors many years ago.

But if you have experience with Cinema 4D, perhaps you're best off forgetting about Modo and stepping up to C4D's Studio package, which is currently on sale for 50% off.

30. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What keeps you from using Cinema4D, then?

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

2 UV and Joints problems with .fbx

I would evaluate flawless and more efficent pipeline because C4D workarounds not always work. ;)

32. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Okay - that's reasonable ^^

For the 2UV problem you can right now use the plugin from Unity (works great if you haven't tried it yourself). The thing with the joints etc. is annoying, though. I agree on that.
    I found - until Maxon finally delivers a working FBX exporter - that Blender works very well for me on rigs and animations. Mind you - I am modeller and texture artist. By no means a professional rigger or animatior. So don't take my work on the animation thingie. Maybe check out the training DVD on character rigging for Blender - "The Mancandy FAQ" (if you haven't done so). If you are familiar with rigging techiques you can learn a lot on how to set up very advanced rigs in blender.
    And if you're not sure - donwload it. It's Creative Commons and perfectly legal to download even though I always recommend supporting the Blender foundation :)

That's enough Blender advertising, now ^^

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know Blender and i tried it several times, but i really don't like the UI.

For now my choices are still Cinema 4D and ZBrush but i am still Searching something for CA. ( Motion Builder 2009 is not for Mac Now)

And of course i would evaluate Ainimation features in Modo 401.

In any case thank you for your advices. :)

34. n0mad

n0mad

I am actually having no problem with joints exporting to FBX :)

It's seamless, really.
    (R11)

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good news :wink: