Search Unity

modo601 just droped and its got CA

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by maxfax2009, Feb 29, 2012.

1. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

2. Morning

Morning

Modo sure is growing. Lets just hope it doesn't get lost in all the features like some other apps do.

3. Codexus

Codexus

Has anybody figured out how to get the character animation into Unity yet? I'm not getting anything in my fbx.

EDIT: I must have made some silly mistake in all the excitement, it now seems to be working well. Just export as FBX. I got the "DinoMan" and "CuteAlien" samples into Unity and they are deforming correctly. It's really a quick test but it seems that I'll be able to do my animations in Modo from now on.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. garyhaus

garyhaus

It will accept native Modo(.lxo) files as well!!!

5. Farfarer

Farfarer

I'm so very happy about this. I can now finally kick 3DSMax out of my pipeline.

Can't wait to try out my copy tomorrow :D

6. goat

goat

I've asked a couple of really good character artists and what did they use?

Lightwave (original developed by the team at Modo) or Modo.

7. Jessy

Jessy

It finally has SpaceNavigator support. I'll take two!

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

And here's me without 395 spare dollars for the upgrade... so sad :(

9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Hahahaha! Well said, friend!!

Time to do some great MODO animations!

Check out the licensing, the say they license the software to the individual, not the computer! That's quite logical!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. giyomu

giyomu

ah finally character animation , i think i am going to burn 395$ too to try that out :D

11. Farfarer

Farfarer

Yep. I run my copy of modo straight off my USB flash drive. License gets carried around with me wherever I go on my flash drive - win :D

Luxology's always been awesome with their licenses.

12. taumel

taumel

Licence related: Luxology always did right what Unity did wrong.

Great update.

The snake is creepy and i love the lazy mode. Let's hope it also crashes less than 501.

13. Metron

Metron

WRONG... I bought Modo501 6 weeks ago... SIX weeks... they didn't announce any upcoming version although a lot of people have asked about this... and you know what? I don't get a free update to 601... That, sir, is NOT right...

I would have waited for another 2 weeks if I a) new that there was a new version coming, and b) their update policy takes only into account the previous 30 days...

14. varedis

varedis

This is fairly standard procedure with updates on software and hardware. If they make an exception for you because you were two weeks over the free upgrade deadline then what's to stop someone else that was 2 and a half weeks over the deadline also complaining add infinitum until all updates have to be made free so no one feels ripped off.

15. Farfarer

Farfarer

To be fair, everyone's known that 601 was nearing launch - it fits with Luxology's release schedule.

Also, this has nothing to do with license freedom, which is what we were talking about.

Not to say I don't feel you pain - it's a crappy situation. But it's just one that happens sometimes.

16. taumel

taumel

@Metron
    No, it's right because they offer a person centric licence and a floating licence instead of licences which are locked to machines which is quite important if you're not only working from one system at a fixed place.

I had no problems regarding upgrading Modo so far and in your case i would try to contact them and describe the problem. When i once described my licence issues to Unity i got bogus eMails by some idiot from the UK and the hint to buy multiple licences. So i'm the wrong person to ask if you want some positive feedback regarding sales and Unity. But you have to differ there also work good and nice people @Unity.

17. vortexilation

vortexilation

Rule of thumb my friend, i also been there couple of times, learn it the hard way, never bought anything off internet in Q1 or Q4 of the year especially Private or goes IPO companies, look around the product's forum, news to get their common release schedule.

18. BSECaleb

BSECaleb

Anyone tried the new CA tools yet? How feature rich are they? Can you do animation retargeting? How about animation layers? Can you bake down animation from a complex rig to a game rig? Are there any texture baking changes? As I recall Modo didn't support cage based baking as of 501... I fell in love with modo just before 301 came out but had to abandon it after 501 because of all of the missing features (CA, shader support, lattice deformers, non-destructive UV editing, viewport transparency, etc).

19. taumel

taumel

Some of the material in the tour is fantastic, both artistically as well as quality wise, Lux knows how to present things in a yummy way.

20. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Not sure! But with the new 601 animation features, I can FINALLY justify using modo! I mean, I do a lot of character animator, so animation is right there in the middle of my workflow!! Before now, if I wanted to use modo, I'd have to model in modo, animate in max, render in modo, that made no sense! I ended up forgetting about modo, which is sad!!! D: *cries*

BUT NOW all that changed!! X)

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

S***, if i didn't have XSI, I would def use this program :)

22. BSECaleb

BSECaleb

After a little more digging it looks like the new CA tools still have a ways to go before I can drop Maya. You can't even import mocap data without writing a custom script 8(. I really like a few of the features like centering a bone/joint in the middle of the mesh and the heatmap based weighting. Oh well, I may still upgrade just for those sweet looking retopology tools.

23. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Meh, do you do a lot of mocap?
    I wouldn't expect for a second this first animation features to cover absolutely everything. But for character animation, it's looks pretty darn sweet, and complete! Should be more than enough to make a successful animation!
    If you start getting picky though, it'll be easy to find plenty of things missing, less than functional, or simply annoying!

Remembers me when I wanted my boss to switch from max to maya a couple of years ago, but he was simply waiting for the smallest excuse not to use maya. I think he got mad because we couldn't find an easy way to make text and extrude it, or some bs like that, lol. And that was it for him. To this day he uses max for everything!

24. kerters

kerters

lol ^^
    just bought 601 on release and it's amazing.. such an artistic way of making motions, very recommendable !!
    atm it feels like the zBrush for animation.

25. n0mad

n0mad

Not trying to stop the general enthusiasm about 601, but I keep seeing people comparing it to 3DS and Maya, like they're the only benchmark ? I really don't get why Cinema 4D is not that recognized ... Using it for 4 years (and did use all the other softwares mentionned before), the tool is cheap (800 €), fast, flexible (I coded my own automation scripts with no headache), the interface is the best I saw for a 3D tool, and the CA tools are incredibly simple, intuitive and complete. And, most of all, it never crash of fail ! I animated very complex char movements with it without any problem, and never did I tell myself while using it "damn, something is missing".
    I couldn't go to any other 3D tool really ...

Generally, why is Cinema 4D so much unrecognized ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  26. kerters

kerters

I think its because the popular studios like Blizzard, Naughty dog etc. using these Autodesk tools.
    People just want to imitate their heroes.

27. Quietus2

Quietus2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdlz66Gmxq

This is what I was hoping 501 was going to be. One tool to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them.

Doesn't just have modolicious CA tools, but a dedicated topology tab to boot!

28. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Nomad - It's not because C4D has bad rigging tools. It's because it's lacking everywhere else really. No vertex painting, Bodypaint horribly outdated, no native retopo tools, no high to low res baking options, horrible uv management, FBX import/export issues for the longest time (up until recently)... I could go on but these are a few problem areas.

I have been working with Cinema 4D for 13 years and frankly Maxon doesn't care much for the game market (I used to be beta tester as well) so I really tried to push hard for better "game artist" tools without much luck (pushed for a good 3 year period and gave up). With that said, Maxon is more focused on "Motion Graphics" and the last updates (last 3 or 4) clearly show that as well.

Maxon's software is overpriced when compared to Max or Maya. In features, C4D is clearly the loser and yet they charge same if not more money than Autodesk for software that is partly horribly outdated due to lack of programmers - they really need to hire more people. Maxon is a small company after all and doesn't stand much of a chance with Autodesk ruling most of the markets. Luxology's Modo however has a fresh and new approach which does appeal to many artists coming from Max, Maya, Lightwave.

Then we have Luxology who seems to be doing a lot of "rights" over the past years and the recent additions and price tag make it a very serious threat to Autodesk and Maxon etc.

29. kerters

kerters

it's a pleasure to work with modo, the new tools are just insane!,.. happy crafting guys ;-)

30. n0mad

n0mad

Thomas - Well except the Vertex Painting missing (I agree it is much needed), I really don't feel everything else is that bad actually :) Sure it seems like C4D wasn't that great a while ago, but from the moment I purchased a license (R11) it looked like a huge improvement.
    As I wrote never did I feel something vital was missing during the making of Kinetic Damage. FBX did export fine for me back in R11, and UV tools are nice and complete imho (move, scale, draw, projections, wrap, etc). In fact, what I praise the most in C4D is its stability compared to Autodesk tools : in 4 years of use, it didn't crash a single time. Maya ? 3DS ? I'm still hearing my pissed off colleague back at the time when we were designing a 3D environment. The stuff crashed all the time. There are also plenty of tools in Maya/3DS, but they're very unintuitively placed. (And did I mention that they crash a lot ? :p)

Modo seems like a good product both with interface and efficiency though.

31. Quietus2

Quietus2

A programmer who when attempting to draw a circle, ends up with a puffy oval or cloud, opens up Max, Maya or (Jesus help us) Blender! He cries inside after the trying to remember the alt-shift-q-o-m hotkey mentioned in the tutorial, or which of the 5000 buttons/submenus he needs to do what seems to be a simple task.

That same programmer opens up Modo, and in short order is able to create acceptable programmer art. Modeling, UV's, baking procedural textures down along with normals, AO, Spec, etc. He's in love with how easy ImageInk is to use. The application's interface and workflow doesn't make them feel as if like they're writing a sed or awk script.

It's not just artists that modo has an appeal to. I'm in that category and I find modo actually fun to use.

32. taumel

taumel

I can draw nice circles, rectangles and other geometric shapes but beside of this, yes.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  33. khellstr

khellstr

I have followed few threads in different forums about 601 release, and they all have come to this pointless discussion about which app is better because what ever.

I like Modo and like to use it!

I don't care your opinions about other apps. I don't care if you don't like Modo or some other software is better for you, instead I'd like to know what is good (or bad) in 601? Especially in this forum I'd like to read how Modo 601 to Unity workflow is working. ( instead of reading what X or Y software was able to do in version from last decade).

If I rig and animate my character in 601, then save file to assets folder as lxo format and open it in Unity, does everything work smoothly or do do I have to bake animations etc. With 501 had some problems with importing smoothing angles, imported fbx had 180 angle and lxo had 0 angle in all polys (I think). But really like to hear your experiences importing animations from Modo to Unity. I'm impatiently waiting for 601 trial version release...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  34. kerters

kerters

35. ryanzec

ryanzec

Finally, this is what I have been waiting for from Modo.

36. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Excellent video! Thanks kerters!

I've been keeping an eye on modo for a couple of years. Now that it has CA tools, I think it's time to jump on the bandwagon. At the moment I use a few smaller specialized apps to get from modeling, to texturing, to rigging/animating. It works okay, but it will be nice to use one app from start to finish. :)

37. goat

goat

I'm doing a demo now with C4D Studio and their website says it costs over $3500. Exports it doesn't do so well and while I was using it to do renders it claimed a program called prman.exe wasn't in the path. A reinstall didn't fix it and a search didn't turn up the missing file. The next day however rendering was working again.

I was also advised by a C4D expert that Max would be better for game engines and C4D was mostly animations.

38. kerters

kerters

All credits goes to Wes McDermott aka the 3d ninja,
    Me just posted the link ;-)
    Yeah, the workflow is very satisfying so far. the new rigging and joint manipulation tech is amazing...

http://www.ikinema.com/?mod=press_release&show=15 .. maya users now what i mean :)

39. Farfarer

Farfarer

So, the rigging and stuff is very nice and very flexible...

...meaning I've spent the last 2 days realising I've completely forgotten how to do character rigs. I think it's been about 9 years since I last did one :/

That video's neat, but having two rigs and baking the animation out is a lot of faffing around... hopefully there's a better way.

40. Quietus2

Quietus2

Check Lux's youtube channel, as Brad Peebler has released videos showcasing the new rigging and animation features.

http://www.youtube.com/user/luxology

Basically, the workflow can basically be basically far simpler basically than the basically other video basically shows, basically. Full body IK, combined with being able to lock nodes and the pose tool is chock full of win.

41. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Wes (3DNinja) already said in his blog that he only cleaned up the scene to lower the file size and.. well, to have it clean :) He definitely didn't *need* to do it. He also didn't use Full Body IK 'coz that was his preference, it's the Maya way he's used to.

Coming from an un-realized love with Lightwave's IKBooster ('coz it wouldn't do true IK, just pose keyframing), Modo's system is a dream come true for me!

42. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Soooo.... fellow Modonauts. Count me in ;)
    I've bought a copy of 601. Coming from C4D .... where do I start? :)

43. giyomu

giyomu

maybe you could grab one of the course pack on modo website , to get you started ..there is several course that teach you a whole set of modo functionnalities through a A to Z project..then you can look at the Fireboy video spotlight that should be available for free with your purchase on your account to see quickly how to use the CA in modo ;)

good modo !

unityunity