Search Unity

Modo To Unity Native Import Issues with Material

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Merries, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Merries

Merries

Hey all I am having a problem, I'm using Unity 5 and Modo 901, I have created a object in Modo, set the material names on one UV Map (auto-generated I did not adjust it), then Drag and Dropped the Modo file into the Assets folder in my folder 'My Models'.

What I am getting is the materials are generating but they are all empty/blank.

I read somewhere about having to name the materials just right could someone tell me that naming scheme and are there particular settings I need to select on Import? Or is it the current Unity 5 is not working will with Modo 901.

I would appreciate a bit of a step by step or detailed answer so I don't spend another day getting flustered and pulling my virtual cat fur out thank you!!

2. Merries

Merries

I finally figured this out and just in case something similar comes up Ill list my steps.

What you want in 'Bake to Render'

1 - Create Your Model
    2 - Put a material tag on each object of the model (Assign a material - M)
    3 - Go to Lists tab and under UV, make sure the selection is on 'Texture'
    4 - Go to UV Edit Tab, your model UV should show in the UV window looking quite scrambled.
    5 - Select your whole model in the 3D view then click on UV Protection Tool Button > Atlas.
    6 - Select each piece of your model in the 3D view then click in the UV view with the move tool and move that piece out of the way. Then on that same piece click on UV Projection Tool again > Atlas, the piece should flatten out.
    7 - Do this same thing for each object in your model.
    8- Once you have all the pieces flattened out, click on UV Fit > All pieces, the uv map will sort itself in the upper right UV space. It might come in not using most of the UV space 0-1. Manually select each UV island and move scale them
    till they fit snug but not touching in the upper right hand grid. You can use the UV Fit again.
    9 - Go to the Render tab.
    10 - Click on the Render menu (the menu bar along the top) Make sure the UV map set up above is still showing in the Lists tab.
    11 - Choose Bake to Render Outputs, you will see your texture map processing.
    12 - Save out your model as Luxology format or FBX.
    13 - In the Render window, choose save image, its a small button along the top of the render window. Save as the .tga file.
    14 - Open Unity > Create a folder for your model and open it.
    15 - Drag and drop the model from your saved filed either the FBX or the Luxology file into that asset folder.
    16 - Drag and drop the .tga baked map into that same folder.
    17 - Drag and drop your model into the scene view, drag and drop the texture right onto the model in the scene view.
    This creates just a basic Diffuse map, you will have to repeat the steps and choose other map types you will need in Modo. (Such as spectacular and bump). Check the Modo documentation for information on where to find the dropdown for these different map types.

I hope this helps others.

OllyNicholson likes this.
  3. OllyNicholson

OllyNicholson

Unity Technologies

This is a very useful post, thanks for putting the info back into the community so quickly!