Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Modifying Asset Store 3D model counting as plagiarization

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by bisnisman, Aug 1, 2022.

1. bisnisman

bisnisman

I'm using an asset store 3D character model as base for other characters (different faces, different clothes, etc.). They are not copies of other Asset Store or any other models, but they still have the same art style as the original. According to the EULA, I'm able to modify assets I purchased, but wouldn't this count as plagiarization because the art style is basically copied?

2. Gladyon

Gladyon

If I am not mistaken, for most assets (some have specific legal things) you can modify them and include them in a video game which you can sell.
    But you cannot distribute (paid or for free) the modified (or unmodified) asset on its own, it has to be part of something.

Remember that I'm not a lawyer, and that forum isn't specialized in legal counsel.
    You can also ask your question directly to the creator of the asset.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think an "art style" can be plagiarized. If you're in doubt, you can simply credit the artist who "inspired" your derivative work.

4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Are you concerned about using your modified versions in your game?
    In that case you are covered. You are allowed to produce any content you want for your game (and similar media) with the asset.
    In the end applying a shader with certex modofications would already effectively display a "plagiarized" copy of the original, lol.

It does only get tricky if you wanted to resell your version of the asset on its own, or generally publish it in a similar format as the original (like as .obj files etc.). In that case it'll depend a lot on the grade of copying and on the mood of whoever makes a decision on you in that regard.