Search Unity

Modify Package Managers "Default" Packages

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Reddevildragg, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Reddevildragg

Reddevildragg

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows a way to modify the packages that unity will default show in the package manager. Working as park of a team we have several smaller packages of functionality that we carry across a large number or projects. RIght now these are held as Unity Packages as was as Package manager compatible git hub repos.

The annoying thing right now is that when ever we start a new project (basically every other week) we have to go and grab all the git hub links that are needed and add them in 1 by 1 to the manifest etc to get the correct packages in or by using this https://www.patreon.com/posts/upmgitextension-28242996. Which both work but are a bit inconvient.

Is there a config file or something that unity hold all the default packages it is able to download installed somewhere on the computer that i can modify and then send a copy round to the team to have these packages just appear in the package manager without the above messaging around?

Thanks

2. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

I don't know of a way to modify the default packages, but:

Maybe you could have a common manifest.json in a github repo, so upon starting a new project you'd just add the one github reference, pulling the manifest.json into
    PackageName/packages/manifest.json
    and the package manager would automatically pull what was listed in the new version you just pulled down

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  3. JakHussain

JakHussain

Unity mentioned ages ago that we would be able to make our own template projects for the Unity hub. In other words, we'll be able to add to the list of options for a 3d project, 2d project, hdrp project with our own empty project template with a manifest.json set up for it. you'd have to update this for each tech release of unity but it'll save you a lot of headache.

That being said, I haven't heard anything about this feature in Unity hub since they announced it and I'm starting to wonder if they forgot about it.

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

@pablothedolphin , we haven't forgot about it. Still in the plan but I still don't know *when* it will be available :(.

Pascal

5. jeslinger

jeslinger

Having a button on projection creation that has a toggleable list of all the available packages (including user custom defined ones) is a must. It's such a pain to start a new project, remove a package...wait for compile...remove another...wait for compile... add one package... wait for compile.

B4ttleCat, starikcetin and JakHussain like this.
  6. JakHussain

JakHussain

jeslinger raises a really good point. It's a really momentum killer to exitedly jump into unity with a new idea and end up sitting there for ages.