Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Modify Animator Override Controller class to override behaviors as well as animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by undeadknight11, Jul 7, 2021.

1. undeadknight11

undeadknight11

Hello! I've been trying to make creating new enemies for my game as seamless as possible, and I love how the Animator Override Controller works already, but I'd imagine it'd be 10x more powerful with the introduction of adding and removing inherited behaviors. Perhaps this is a naïve feature, but this would allow me to seamlessly extend my enemy workflow by just using the native Unity features.

I've dug into the Unity native code for the Animator Override Controller class but was unable to figure out how to extend it to include behaviors.

Any tips, questions, or discussion is welcome!

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I wouldn't expect them to implement any new features in the Animator Controller system any time soon since they're currently working on the DOTS animation system.

You might be interested in Animancer though (link in my signature). It lets you avoid Animator Controllers and control everything in scripts so you can structure things however you like and the whole concept of override controllers becomes irrelevant.

3. undeadknight11

undeadknight11

Thank you for your reply!

Funnily enough I did actually find your Animancer through a really old forum post that you replied to on this site. I will definitely give it a go if I continue to run into issues or find my current workflow inefficient.