Search Unity

Modify a ScriptableObject class without losing the current data

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DSCRD, May 18, 2021.

1. DSCRD

DSCRD

Hello!
    I work with hundreds of scriptable objects and as soon as I modify the class I have to recreate a scriptable object and put all the data back. This is really annoying when you have a lot of scriptable objects. So it would be nice to find a solution for this type of problem! Without dealing with Force Text serialization mode or anything...
    DSCRD.

2. stain2319

stain2319

I'll be surprised if this is possible, but people here often surprise me.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

How are you modifying it? I performed a quick test (Unity 2021.1.6) where I added variables to an SO that already had data in it and none of the data was deleted. Only by deleting the variable, letting it compile the SO, and then re-adding it back did the data get deleted.

4. stain2319

stain2319

Hey, maybe Unity surprised me...

5. spiney199

spiney199

In my experience renaming the variable names will cause any of those particular values entered in your scriptable objects to reset. So needless to say, make sure you get those variable names right. Learned that the hard way once.

Other than that, I've reworked my scriptable object inventory items a number of times (sans renaming variables) and have not lost any data entered.

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

You can migrate your data if you need to rename

7. DSCRD

DSCRD

I'm modifying the class, then it compiles but I have to recreate the SO to actually be able to see the variable I added.

8. DSCRD

DSCRD

I just fixed it, I had to add the
    [SerializeField]
    field to force Unity to serialize it, even tough it was public...

9. DSCRD

DSCRD

With [SerializeField]
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [SerializeField]
    2. public Image thumbnail;
    Result:
    upload_2021-5-18_16-22-39.png

Without [SerializeField]
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public Image thumbnail;
    Result:
    Missing "Thumbnail" field

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, you have to properly serialize your ScriptableObjects. It's a whole thing because they're designed to be serializable data types by the engine.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

There's an attribute you can use if you need to change a name. "FormerlySerializedAs", I think.

12. MDADigital

MDADigital

Problem with that though is that it will only mutate file on disk if you alter the asset.

Its better to migrate all instances of said scriptable object in a controlled fashion and then commit to repo.

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Just imagine how darn near impossible a large project would be if this wasn't possible, though. Having to re-enter a whole system's data because code had to be changed would be untenable.

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, I'm sure that's better in some cases, where both you can do that without interrupting others and it makes a practical difference somehow. You've got to consider the cost on both sides.

It's pretty Cargo Cultish to go around saying what's "better" without explanation, context, or qualification of where it is and isn't the case.

NotaNaN and Ryiah like this.
  15. ippdev

ippdev

Make a new variable and have it equal the old one. Compile and then remove the old variable. It ain't enterprise but it is simple and works. The essence of game dev.

Ony, Ryiah and stain2319 like this.
  16. MDADigital

MDADigital

What you mean? The code change have already happened. I can't see a single use case when it's better to not reflect that right away in the asset files.

You want to keep code change and asset change tight, its easier to maintain repo that way

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ony and angrypenguin like this.
  18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Might make more sense to use SerializedObjects for this instead. While it does involve custom inspectors, it's the easiest way to make them and keep them extensible without having to fight with the awkward mess that is SetDirty/RecordObject stuff. They're automatically flagged as dirty that way, end up with proper undo support, and kinda just offer all sorts of long-term project benefits while SetDirty is the kinda thing I reserve for edge cases and game jams now.

edit: obvious caveats like custom data types apply, of course

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

In a small project where only one thing happens at a time, maybe.

But past that, your idea of "better" seems to be based on very specific scenarios, or a textbook, or some imaginary ideal scenario. My idea of "better" involves maintaining the productivity of a bunch of other people who are also simultaneously working on their own challenging problems in a large project. Content development often happens in parallel to feature development, and often multiple of both are going on at once, so making everyone sync up can be costly.

And, frankly, I don't see the benefit. The computer is perfectly capable of honoring the [FormerlySerializedAs(...)] attribute for as long as needed for assets to catch up with the code. That's exactly the kind of thing computers are good at. Let them do it.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  20. DSCRD

DSCRD

Well if it's a bug I will ;)

karl_jones likes this.