Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Modernizing Vertical Shoot'em Ups

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by PiscesStudios, Sep 22, 2021.

1. PiscesStudios

PiscesStudios

So, in order to make a modern vertical shmup that reinvents the genre I've come up with a list of musts and gameplay mechanics.

What I have so far...
    • Healthbars ( no more one shot dead )
    • Online leaderboards
    • Area of effect weapons ( bombs )
    • Targeting torpedo weapon
    • 3d Ortho playing field with 3d perspective background
    • Environmental hazards
    • Upgradeable lasers
    • Give enemies AI ( not just scripted predictable moves )
    • Power-Ups
    I was thinking of a stop time for 5s powerup.

What else could a scroll shooter have that we'd all like to see?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

start with that. much easier to work with paint on the canvas

angrypenguin and JoeStrout like this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Who is "we"?

I've made a scrolling shooter before, and it divided audiences significantly. Casual newcomers thought it was great, enthusiasts of the genre were... uh... displeased. For instance, you're talking about dodging as if it's a problem, but to fans of the genre it's a defining element.

The idea of "bringing the genre back" suggests that you want fans to play it. If that's the case then I suggest chatting to a few and seeing what's important to them.

Alternatively, if you're just making a game for fun, make whatever is fun. :) I think a directional shield could be cool. Protect yourself from projectiles, but only from one direction at a time.

Martin_H likes this.
  4. PiscesStudios

PiscesStudios

I guess I should say reinvent the genre to appeal to fans and newcomers alike. Thanks for the tip.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Shooters with health bars are not a new thing, they're just a sub-genre usually called "euro shmups", since it was a common feature in 2D shooters from European devs.

PiscesStudios likes this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Has that ever worked? Got any examples in other genres?

7. Zaerick

Zaerick

I think the closest thing to a vertical / sidescroll shooter that has modernized the genre was the few times you did it in Nier: Automata. Shmups is a very niche genre. I think the easiest way to truly modernize it and revitalize the genre is to pull a Nier. Have it be a part of a larger game that combines elements of both. This will bring people not familiar to the genre in because they like the other game play. I hadn't played a bullethell or shmup in 10 years before playing Nier. After it I went and played 2 or 3 because I had fun.

PiscesStudios and Martin_H like this.
  8. ADNCG

ADNCG

Super Mario 64! That's all I got.

9. PiscesStudios

PiscesStudios

Martin_H and Zaerick like this.
  10. Zaerick

Zaerick

This actually looks really good. I need a few new games that are my can't think of anything else let me play this one. About done with my 100 in a row win on Hades so ill pick this up.

11. kdgalla

kdgalla

The trouble with making a vertical shooter for desktop is that everyone has a horizontal monitor.

12. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

You’re making The mistake of jotting down a feature list that are just things slap on to the core concept, rather than innovating it.

Also, a lot of that stuff you just mentioned has already been done already done.

try instead to look at what a shmup is.

It’s moving and shooting.

now how can you innovate that?

previously people have done so by ramping up the projectiles, and making it a “bullet hell”.

Here’s just a few ideas off the top of my head that I would do to change that core concept.

-Pull some dark souls elements. Dodge, perry, block, etc

-Make it an open map and push back a horde while completing objectives

-I had a third one, but honestly I don’t want to share it because I haven’t seen it done yet. And I want it for myself.

PiscesStudios and angrypenguin like this.
  13. Marrt

Marrt

Just some ideas, Give it a Spin, introduce a little Hook

For example, introduce a Time reverse mechanic like that super time force game.

Or make it like Lylat Wars(Starfox on N64) where some specific decisions/kills will change the path of the mission

Or add subgame like an infiltration where your ship latches onto another demolished ship when it is low. Your ship gets a shield and you enter that ship with your pilot in a very short jetpack sidescroller shmup (like 10, 15 seconds) and if you succeed destroying the powercore before getting sucked out the holes the ship will drop additional powerups. If you get sucked out, your ship picks you up, so that little side spectacle is only for additional gains with lower stakes.

14. PiscesStudios

PiscesStudios

that’s probably what I’ll be going for

15. GimmyDev

GimmyDev

If you give me some times and I can find many game with many of the combinaisons suggested in this forum, Shootmup are a mature genre, so much it's blending and crossing with other genre if you try to push it too far, because semantic start to blur.

The last innovative shootmup I remember was chalk:

http://gamecrazy.com/blog/top-5-free-indie-games/
    http://www.konjak.org/index.php?folder=4&file=9

Also have you seen Sin and punishment on n64?

EDIT: does enter the Gungeon qualify?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021