Search Unity

Moderators are needed just like Quora Moderation?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by bhavinbhai2707, Jan 10, 2020.

1. bhavinbhai2707

bhavinbhai2707

I have been answering questions on Unity answers for a long time. I like solving problems others are facing. But, as Unity is getting popular and new people are joining, I have noticed the Unity answers forum is getting worse.
    1. People are asking questions that have been solved before without even trying to search for them.
    2. People are asking very basic and stupid questions like "How to enable/disable a game-object"? These things are meant to be the basics that are provided in documentation but it seems like they don't seem to learn things.
    3. People are asking without questions providing enough information.
    4. People will directly ask for scripts like "I want to make a wall run script". How do I make it? can someone post scripts? without even trying themselves!
    There are a lot of problems just like this. We really need moderators to make unity answers forum clean and helpful for new people. Right now it feels like a mess.

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

5+ years ago, Unity Answers was moderated mostly like StackExchange. We'd reject Qs from your 1), 2) and 4) bullets, with occasional hurt feelings. As those Q's flooded UA, it was taking too long, Unity was slow to make changes that might help, pretty much all the Mods quit (I proposed creating a "HelpRoom" as a dumping ground for bad Q's. It was finally made _after_ the mods all quit, and rules for it were never written).

The situation now is pretty much hopeless. Anyone with 1K+ points is automatically a moderator. That means many UA moderators now got that way by answering the same basic Q's over and over, and think that's the way it should be. They've never seen an actual moderated forum. They don't think UA has any problems.

A few years ago we surrendered even more, by getting rid of the Moderation Queue, which was the main way to screen for bad Q's from new users. Since we had no moderators, Q's were getting stuck there, then mass-approved, which was the worst possible thing.

Finally, Unity seems going towards having help in Unity Learn. The manuals are better, and they don't need UA as much. It's also run by a 3rd party, making it more of a hassle for UnityCo to fix bugs.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

@bhavinbhai2707 I suggest to ignore Unity answers, as it is total mess, and focus own effort here on forum.

You can find multiple discussion here on forum already, regarding Answer state. Just use search tools.

4. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Discussions about UA on Forums tend to have an unhelpful Us vs. Them approach. People on Answers think Forum is for "fuzzy" questions and quickly strays from the topic, but they don't call it a total mess and suggest you never use it.

5. Antypodish

Antypodish

I don't agree.
    Unity don't care about answers and otherwise, they would redirect to Unity forum directly long time ago. And everyone knows about issue, since years ago. So unfortunately is irrelevant what UA user think. I mean, I don't think anything will change anytime soon in this field. This how I see it.

But anyone with some some deeper ability of searching for answers (not UA), eventually land on forum, like OP him/her self.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  6. Baste

Baste

I gave up on moderating UA for the same reasons @Owen-Reynolds pointed out.

I think the Unity person who were in charge at the time also quit Unity in frustration over not getting enough resources to do anything useful with it or anything else on the web, so hey.

7. bhavinbhai2707

bhavinbhai2707

I get it. so it seems like it's UA is now hopeless. I was unaware that this problem has been there for a long time. In fact, I myself stopped answering on UA sometime ago because I was very annoyed by the stupid questions.
    Anyway thanks for the time guys.

8. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

But note, UA was created because Forums was "hopeless": the format and lack of self-grown moderators made it bad at getting clear answers to technical Q's. UA was great at that for a while, but now it's basically unmoderated, the same as Forums.

UA is probably still better at helping new users -- there seem to be more novices responding to 1st timers, staying on point. If you're trying to learn, looking at other people's problems is a good way. I'd rather have a place to ask serious questions, but, oh well.