Search Unity

Models turn white if fog disabled

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by GrayedFox, Nov 10, 2020.

1. GrayedFox

GrayedFox

Hi all, I'm having trouble with the new HDRP lighting in my scene. I have search for answers to why models turn up white (like here and here have) but I still can't figure out how to get the lighting right to make the model look "normal" (for the sake of argument let's say normal is an overcast day).

As soon as I disable fog in my scene, my character becomes a hot white (as if he is way too close the sun).

I've tried moving the directional light far away and tweaking many different settings - disabling fog seems to make my character a hot white no matter what.

Is there a way to have no fog and still have HDRP lighting in the scene?

The model I am using is this guy from the asset store and I updated the shader to HDRP/Lit myself.

I am using Cinemachine (may be relevant?) and the angle of the camera also drastically effects the model brightness/colour too. This is important since this game will be a dungeon crawler and the camera distance will sometimes change based on where the player is standing in the scene - would be good to not have drastic light changes just because the camera zooms in or out a little.

I've attached screens of the scene with fog, without fog, and the model preview (where it looks the best).

Thanks for your time.

Scene with fog:
    scene-with-fog.png

Scene without fog:
    scene-without-fog.png

Prefab preview:
    mutant-prefab-preview.png

2. GrayedFox

GrayedFox

Hey so I figured this one out. Turns out the exposure setting of the emission tab of the character textures was set at 1. Tuning that way, way, way down to 0.005 did the trick.

Also I didn't realise that the X and Y rotation of the direct (sun) light play such a massive role. Tweaking those values has given me control of the lighting in the scene again :) hopefully future eyeballs comes across this comment and get put on the right path.