Search Unity

Modeling within Unity? (vs. Blender)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by 3, Mar 16, 2013.

1. 3

I don't want to spend the time to learn blender, because after trying it out it looks quite complicated. I'm just wondering, theoretically, If I made a house in Unity using lots of basic cube gameobjects, would it be much different than modeling a house in Blender? Thanks,

Something kind of like this:
    $bnhouse.jpg

And I assume it would be near impossible, but what about making a car, or something crazy like a person? Would Blender be required? Because of as right now, I've just been downloading models, but I need to start making my own if I want to get farther with game development.

Just a quick question,
    Thanks again

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You need to learn Blender, sorry. ;) You can't model effectively in Unity; it's not remotely a 3D modelling app, nor intended as such, and using a bunch of box primitives is quite different from a proper model and not nearly as efficient. Just do some Blender tutorials to get used to it...while initially appearing intimidating (as all 3D apps do if you've never used one), it's not that hard once you understand the basics.

--Eric

3. 3

Alright, Thanks. Oh well, shortcuts never do work.

A random question, Sketch Up wouldn't suffice either by any chance, would it? Just for structures.

Thanks again,

4. carking1996

carking1996

Use Blender. It's just good.

5. 3

Ah Well, I hate learning new things. Thanks for all the advice, I'll just pick up blender then. I certainly hope its worth it.

6. goat

goat

Also if you want a house that detailed for a game potential game player need to be running the game in a console or one of those high-speed dual video card PC gaming rigs.

Otherwise that house needs to be a minimal amount of cubes with detailed textures in as low a resolution that still look passable as possible.

7. calabi

calabi

8. propapandagames

propapandagames

Sketchup works just fine. The meshes will need some cleanup after export, but it's great for quickly churning out models.

9. Emre

Emre

If you don't want to learn how to use a dedicated 3D modeling tool, then don't do it. Hire an artist and order some models. Considering the learning curve of these tools, hiring a freelancer definitely costs much less in terms of money and time.

10. kablammyman

kablammyman

+100

11. chrisall76

chrisall76

SKetchup may work, but won't have all the advanced features you need (UV mapping, more exporting options, support from Unity, etc.).

12. Annihlator

Annihlator

For anything else then use within Google World or SketchUp itself, i certainly wouldn't advice SketchUp at all for game-development (even if someone is not familiar with 3d software at all)

While being incredibly user-friendly in how easily you can create and modify models;
    Sketchup's mesh layouts are so filthy that even to experienced modelers it could usually be better just to model again, especially if you want to apply things like UV-mapping or animation, which (by the way) SketchUp both can't.

Blender honestly is a great free solution, personally i also use the Maya PLE (Personal Learning Edition), which should allow you to produce assets in as long as you use them non-commercially. (Downside being while Maya is a great tool (In my Opinion, also Cinema4D is a favorite, but not available for free.) that if you want to use assets in anything else then a non-commercial way... you'd have to purchase a quite expensive piece of software.)

Blender will take more effort to learn then SketchUp, but you can make much "cleaner" models and probably also take some problems away that else would have popped up further down your pipeline, like the Animation(/"Rigging") and UV-mapping.

However, mainly straight and simple shapes like semi-cuboids can be drawn with SketchUp quite fine. More complicated shapes (may) end up "dirty" and with too many tri's/polygons, thus slowing down your game without need.
    If you manage to pick up blender quite easily you'll have earned back your time that otherwise would have to be spent in switching you rmodel back-and-forth between multiple programs.
    Also since blender would be a more integrated tool, you'd be less prone to export problems, wrongly scaled UV's and more of such horrors.

Hope you can see the pro's in learning the programme. :)

13. 3

Thanks, sorry I've been away, so I couldn't respond, but this helped a lot.