Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Model doesnt change after reimport

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deleted User, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok correct me if im wrong but if i change a model shouldnt the change be reflected into unity? I am using blender and unity standard, and every time I make a addition to one of the sections of my ships interior i have to delete it within unity then reimport it the files are exported via fbx in blender then reimported in unity and yes i am over writing the fbx file

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Are you breaking the Prefab connection by adding scripts to the object in the Hierarchy?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

no. all it is are sections of halls such as corner straight and t peices as well as cargo and bridge. No scripts no nuthing just Duplicates within Unity. What im saying is the preview of the mesh when you import isnt even updating its allmost like the "Reimport" option is broken, and even if I reimport all it doesnt work and im sure that even if i restarted it wouldnt even do anything. I have to delete it from the assets then import it again

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

does anyone even know what im talking about?

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

We know what you're talking about but to be honest I have never seen this happen in Unity. Are you positive that no warning comes up at any time warning you are "Losing prefab"? If not then please file a bug report by going to "Help/Report a Problem" and attach the Project that is exhibiting this problem. If the Project is too large then please just send us the Blender file and we will try to reproduce the issue on our end.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

im using fbx files but even after reexporting it should update in unity. Should i just use blender files all together?

7. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

It doesn't matter which one you use, they both get converted to FBX before being imported into Unity. File a bug report if you're still having issues.

8. Odini

Odini

I'm having the same problem here actually.

Whenever I do changes to my mesh on the 3d Studio Max side, then export it as an FBX again (overwriting the previous FBX file), the mesh doesn't instantly update in Unity.

In fact, I am forced to delete the asset along with its dependencies and do a 'Import New Asset' all over again (hence losing my material settings)...

vandim likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

yeap thats it. I remember someone saying that any changes that were made was suppose to be updated. I guess i need to break down and do a bug report

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

ok i think that i found a solution to this problem. When using blender SAVE YOUR BLEND FILES IN YOUR ASSETS FOLDER FOR YOUR PROJECT. Sorry :p wanted to make sure the kiddies understood, but when i do it like that it works. I was using blend to export the fbx files then goin in unity and importing them manualy. when doing it like that it doesnt work.

Bingo675 likes this.
  11. GhettoVR

GhettoVR

Saving the models to the ASSETS folder work perfectly. Thank you much. :)

12. superme2012

superme2012

lol, yeah otherwise its has to be re-imported as its not within the project. I had the same problem, think its a common thing to do.

13. hubecube_

hubecube_

I am having the same problem - I will try what was mentioned here - saving the FBX to the asset folder but lets say I don't want to do that - the answer seems logical: "Reimport"

So that is what I do - I click re-import, unity churns for 2-3 seconds, and nothing. No update. Thoughts?

I found a solution - The animations are re-imported they are just not made into clips visibel in the inspector.

The clips list (under the FBX Import Animations tab) allows you to add and remove clips with the + and - signs. You have to add a new clip, then from the "source" dropdown box select your animation - you will find that all the newly updated animations will be in the source dropdown, they will just not be present in the clips until you add them.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    klesun likes this.
  14. nastasache

nastasache

Thanks, hubecube_
    You saved a lot of time for me.
    My only option until your reply was to change the exported model name again and again to see animations refreshed.
    Thanks again!

klesun likes this.
  15. ibaburn

ibaburn

same issue, 3ds max to unity workflow.

16. TorQueMoD

TorQueMoD

I'm having the same issue. I noticed that when creating the project there was an option to choose a folder where you keep your source files. I didn't choose one at the time because I didn't know what I was going to be doing. Is it possible to assign one after the fact? I'm guessing this is the issue? Unity doesn't know where to find the files. I don't want to save directly to the Unity assets folder in case I lose files. My source files are on another HD.

17. filibis

filibis

I am having the same problem. How to encounter this?
    I use SketchUp and auto-refresh feature works as it should in the beginning. However after i make some progress in Unity and then change my model in SketchUp & save, Unity 'appears to be auto-refreshing' but model looks unchanged. Thus i have to delete and manually import again which break every adjustments i made (scripts etc.).

Yes. How one add scripts without breaking the prefab connection? Below image shows hierarchy tab when i first import SketchUp (.skp) file. But after a while when i add scripts or make some 'proper prefabs' to work as instances (windows for example, they all come as individual prefabs), all objects become no longer in blue color (broken prefab?).

HierarchyTab.JPG

18. olejuer

olejuer

I can plus-one hubecube_'s solution. The same goes for .blend files (and probably any other format, as I assume this is something just missed in the automatic re-import by Unity. Still until today (Aug. 2017))

19. Krill18

Krill18

I don't know if someone is gonna read this but I am possible to edit files in blender and the model is immediately changed in unity, just make sure the .blend is saved to the file unity uses to add models/ assets to the scene

20. Ace1DesignsTeam

Ace1DesignsTeam

Reimport option has NEVER worked for me. Models, textures, you name it. Does absolutely nothing! I've had several versions of Unity and it's been the same for me, every version.

GixG17 likes this.
  21. Flexyke

Flexyke

Ace1DesignsTeam it is because you think it to be working like it is working in Unreal. If you overwrite the file in the unity project folder reimport is working. Not like in Unreal where you can export the assets to folder x, use them in unreal where they still point to folder x, and reimport gets it from folder x. Unity does not work that way.

22. Flavelius

Flavelius

I'm also encountering this issue, reimport of an overwritten fbx doesn't change the material count in my case, where i initially had 2 materials assigned, then removed all, reimported the overwritten fbx with 0 materials. But the imported object still displays 2. The objects in question are subobjects of the asset, as unity imports them this way.
    Is there a known solution to this problem apart from doing a fresh (different name) import/breaking scene references?

23. Flavelius

Flavelius

Ok, using the context menü 'Reset' option works, although it requires reconfiguring everything in the importer..

bearcoree likes this.