Search Unity

Model changed spontaneously in Unity

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by RoWh0906, Feb 2, 2015.

1. RoWh0906

RoWh0906

Hi everyone!
    Me and one of my friends are started to work on our first game. (Yeah, I know, everybody starts his/her thread like this, but that's just what it is). So I learned programming meanwhile he did the same with modeling. We wanted to make an endless runner (just to keep it small for the first time, just like said), everything was going fine, but when we imported the model from 3DS Max (copyrighted version) the turbo smoothing disappeared in Unity, and the model's left hand and right leg turned 180 degrees. I just can not figure out why did it happened so if somebody could, then I would be very grateful :) (it was an .fbx file)

Attached Files:

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

3. goat

goat

You should build your models for games without turbo smooth and models for entertainment movies with turbo smooth.

When you build your model in Max without turbo smooth if it looks good in Max it will look good in Unity. Generally the number of polygons in one character model shouldn't exceed 10 - 15K (20 - 30 triangles) and for mobile that means fewer onscreen characters, which is fine, the screen isn't large anyway.

I've also been told repeatedly your polygons in total in a game scene for mobile shouldn't exceed 250K.

You also should turn off shadows for mobile until much better mobile HW is available (even better than the current generation of quad CPU / quad GPUs if you don't believe me - maybe in 2 years and adding HW octo CPUs / octo GPUs could conceivably do a modestly good job with shadows and 1 - 3 lights?). If you have shadows then every light after the 1st light will add about the same number of polygons to your scene as it had originally. E.g. 1 light (250K), 2 lights (500K), 3 lights (750K), ...

This is advice if you are wanting to spend your time making game play rather than creating a bunch of specialized textures in Unity for your game by baking light maps and such things to make the mobile HW look more capable that it really is. You could choose to go that path (baking light maps in Unity) too but as a noob I think it's a bit early to get involved in all that. Your modeler would be better spending their time learning modeling and texturing in your 3D modeling app that learning to bake light maps in Unity for the time being.