Search Unity

Mod preventing sharing of solutions?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by swedishfisk, Apr 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swedishfisk

swedishfisk

Hey, whenever I find a top ranked Unity forum post that only has posts with some variation of "This is not possible" - I try to always go back to that thread if I do end up do discovering a simple solution to that specific problem.

Just a couple of minutes ago I shared a solution to a broad and generic problem in a thread that's top ranked for those keywords.

But I quickly get a notification saying "pointless necro" (ouch), and not only that but the solution was actually removed and thread was locked.

This seems kind of crazy to actively prevent members spreading useful information in highly ranked threads that probably years from now will still be the go to place for people looking for those keywords.

I mean should I simply stop sharing the solutions, or was the moderator out of line?

atomicjoe likes this.
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

The reason for it may be, that problem was the case let's say 5-8 years ago.
    Now with latest tool, such problem is no more the case, or solution is inadequate.
    Mind, because something works today, doesn't meant same solution would work 5 years ago.

Obviously I haven't seen the thread that OP is discussing, but these are my best assumptions, why necro has been flagged.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

All mods have different flavours. Some mods and Unity staff prefer to clamp down on necro posting, and others feel that it depends on the reason for bumping, as some subjects are long-term and aren't yet redundant.

For example I'd only lock a necro thread if the API was stale, or it's no longer a problem in modern Unity.

Do you have a link to the thread? It could be a well-solved problem already.

4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.