Search Unity

.::: Mobius of Magic :::. [Android] [iOS]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Catsoft-Studios, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Greeting Unity community;

I'm here to showcase my first release: Mobius of Magic! An story-driven adventure set in a fantasy world were you, as a simple sorcerer apprentice will get involved in an epic journey across the world of Everwind.

After completing your final test with your master, Roku the Sorcerer, he asks you to run an errand and give to Leena, a mistress of White Magic an ancient relic called the Dragon Fang. Meanwhile, a black-hooded mage is seeking for this relic no matter the cost. What secrets does this ancient relic hides?
    • Fight your enemies with an innovative turn-based combat system perfectly adapted for touch-screen devices. All spells are casted using gestures.
    • Explore the world of Everwind! You journey will lead you to deep swamps, dark caves, flamboyant cities, arcane libraries, mountains full of spirits and many more places!
    • Learn the ways of magic! Every guild has their own set of spells and unravel the mysteries of the Dragon Fang.
    • Equip with magical items (rings, necklaces and armbands) and fight with up to two Familiars, mystical creatures that will help you in battle.

If you have any suggestions, I'd gladly hear from it.

Here are some promo-codes for iOS:
    - W33NTTWATMAM
    - TNFJYX6XLYE9
    - APHPWAT937RM

Thanks for your attention and happy coding!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This game looks pretty fun. I like the concept and 2D in game art very much.
    Unfortunately the 3D character only match that excellent concept art in color. There is a disconnect where the 3D art looses all resemblance to the concept art. I believe it is the over simplification of the in game characters - removing there arms and legs and giving them oblong spheres to represent hands and feet.
    The in game characters don't really connect with the quality concept and 2D art, and it looks kind of weird when seeing the 2D representation of the characters in the dialogue system while the simplified 3D hover in the background game environment.

Hopefully the game play will reduce/shadow this fact.

Congratulations on release.

3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi. Thank you for the feedback. Though it is not my intention to give excuses against what you said, the my idea was to create the characters to be some sort of "disconnected" from the environment (both from the quality of backgrounds elements and 2D character's avatars), just like it happened in games such as Final Fantasy VII - IX. Despite this, it seems I didn't manage to reflect this on the video game. My fault, but thanks for point it out ;-)

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I can understand your design decision. Thanks for replying.
    If you release for another platform I'd like to play it. It seems to have some quality game play, so take my artistic reflection above as only a personal preference instead of a slant towards your original design. Overall the game looks fun and solid!

5. ironbellystudios

ironbellystudios

Well, I think it looks good Catsoft, so kudos to you. Looks fun too!

6. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks both of you!

By the way, when I started creating Mobius of Magic, I decided to keep a dev diary that I would later use to write some sort of book. At the end I wrote a free iBook for iPad because of the amazing widgets it allowed me to use (real-time 3D models, videos, etc...).

If any of you is interested on how I created this video-game (since the first prototype till how the character's design process or the enemy AI), check it out! It's completely free ;-)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-making-of-mobius-of-magic/id1024527600?l=es&ls=1&mt=11

rooskie and theANMATOR2b like this.
  7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Good news! Mobius of Magic is now available for iOS and Android devices! To celebrate this, I'm posting 3 promotional codes. You can find them at the very first post of this thread.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. raiden

raiden

Hi Catsoft-Studios, hey great looking game. I'm a big fan of old rpg's, especially the old ones (dare I say Nintendo Dragon Warrior, : ) ). The game looks solid, I really like the art style, I'll def have to give this a go.

I also just finished your iBook, hey thank you for sharing that! I enjoyed reading about the steps you went through making the game, also picked up some good information on some of your programming techniques.

It's pretty amazing to find developers like you who dedicate the time and effort to produce a high quality game.

Congratulations on finishing your game, I really hope it brings you much success.

-Raiden

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Just wanted to echo raidens comments. You are the first I've seen deploy an iBook.
    Though I'm not a coder I'm really interested in reading through it. Thanks for supplying your dev diary.
    Will get a shot at playing this weekend if all goes as planned.

10. rooskie

rooskie

Yeah man, looks pretty good. How many levels does it have? If you have levels that is...

11. Huntar

Huntar

Looks really solid. The trailer is very well done. I really like the detached "Rayman"-esque character design. It works very well for the world and theme and I'm sure it was a godsend in development time saving by eliminating a lot of the cumbersome skin weight painting that comes along with 3D animation.

Out of curiosity, was this a one man development effort or was there a team? Also, how long was this worked on? You don't have to answer these questions, of course. I'm just curious. :)

12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone!
    @raiden thank you very much. Your words really inspired me, and I'll keep working hard trying to deliver the best quality games possible.

Answering the questions:
    @rooskie Yeah man, looks pretty good. How many levels does it have? If you have levels that is...
    It's not structured by levels, but as an interconnected open world (which you can revisit places), even though at the beginning of the adventure you can only have access to the Harbour of Thalmur. As you progress in the game, you'll discover new areas which will be available for the rest of the game. There are about 10 different "zones", each with its own environment (swamps, cities, forests, mountains, caves, etc...)

@Huntar Out of curiosity, was this a one man development effort or was there a team?
    Yes I did this game all by myself. But I also purchased some top-quality products from the assets store, such as @BitGem Fantasy environment and some sound effects. The rest is all done with a Wacom tablet and lots of programming ^^'

@Huntar Also, how long was this worked on?
    It's been a little more than a year. The start-up company I was working on went on red numbers and had to fire the entire dev-team. Then I decided it was time to do something for myself. I expected this project to take me about 4 to 6 months, but you know how this works... You always find something new to add to the game.

@Huntar You don't have to answer these questions, of course. I'm just curious
    After a year questioning everything I've been doing (was it worth? Was the game the right genre for mobile devices? Is it fun? ...) I'm dying to give answers! Don't hesitate to ask!