Search Unity

Mobile Wifi Direct integration

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by dannyalgorithmic, Jan 24, 2020.

?

Would like Unity to add Wifi Direct to their feature list?

1. I don't care

2. Yes

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

Would Unity be willing to integrate the mobile Wifi Direct into their Networking stack?

It seesm almost insane that such a universally handy feature gets absolutely no attention from the biggest players in the video game space, the space where it would benefit from a hub-free conntection most, especially on mobile. Multiplayer anywhere, from you home via the internat, to the sahara desert via Wifi Direct, the possiblities are endless, yet no one is focusing on that.

If we could seemlessly use Wifi Direct functionality with normal lan and internet connected features, the community would be able to do much more and enable more in-person games. I don't know about you, but I hear a ton of lamenting of the days of old, where you were able to just sit down with a pal, in person, and game together. But you only encourage that play on consoles, minimally on PC, and not at all on mobile.

2. aabramychev_

aabramychev_

It would be nice first, ask apple to implement WIFI Direct according WiFi direct rfc and open API for this, almost the same requirements could be related to Android :( Without this in the Sahara desert peoples must be divided to two groups with iPhone and Android :(

CrandellWS and dannyalgorithmic like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'd rather Unity keep focus on the big ticket items, rather than getting lost in the weeds of niche features. I'd have a different opinion if the new networking system they have been working for 2 years wasn't still in an alpha state. Unity should focus on the primary use cases for networking, get that rock solid and fully released/documented, then when their networking people are bored from lack of bugs to work on they should look at expanding the feature set like this. My opinion

koirat likes this.
  4. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

While I respect that opinion, as I can easily see the logic behind it is reasonable enough, that won't ever happen as far as I can see. They'd always be busy with something. And the only reason that is a niche feature is because everyone wants a live-service game, which require an online connection. While the actualy players are far more naunced than developers, 1000% actual end-users would want the option and I've heard way more than my fair share lament this online obsession.

5. dannyalgorithmic

dannyalgorithmic

My dude. lol