Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Unity 2022.2 is now available as the latest Tech release.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We are making some changes to the DOTS forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Shadows - Anyone got them to work?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by quitebuttery, Dec 26, 2012.

1. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

Does anyone have an example project with working iOS mobile shadows? I can't get them to work in my project at all--in the Editor or on the device. I'm wondering if you need to use specific shaders for it to work? (I'm using custom shaders on most objects). I seem to have the quality, lighting, and gameobject settings (send/receive shadows) correct.

2. GMM

GMM

Are you using dynamic shadows? Dynamic shadows for mobile requires Unity Pro and even then they are very taxing, If not look into using a combination of baked and blob shadows that gives you good performance and decent graphics.

3. quitebuttery

quitebuttery

Yep, I have Unity Pro. Blob shadows look terrible (their performance isn't that great either!), and my game is pretty basic so I think it's a good candidate for mobile shadows. I'd actually like to test it out to see what the perf is like. I figure maybe in more complicated games I'd only enable them on the iPhone 4S or above etc.

4. GMM

GMM

Try seeing if it will work with some of unity's included shaders, I had no trouble in making dynamic shadows work on a project I did a few weeks back for mobile.

5. Horror

Horror

I have them working on an iPhone 4 using normal mapped surfaces. Make sure you:

- Use a directional light (shadows won't cast from any other light type on mobile).
    - Set your directional light to either "Important" or "Auto".
    - Check the mesh renderers you want to receive shadows with "Receive Shadows".
    - Check the mesh renderers you want to cast shadows with "Cast Shadows".
    - Take a look at Edit > Project Settings > Quality (I'm using Hard Shadows, Low Resolution, Stable Fit, No Cascades, Shadow Distance = 12)

6. Be-Rad

Be-Rad

I found shadows did NOT work when OpenGL ES 1.x was selected.
    Make sure OpenGL ES 2.0 is highlighted in the player settings.

Turning shadows on I went from ~30 fps to 12-15 on my iPad 1 and iPod touch 4, with low res shadows.

7. snedgel

snedgel

hi ,
    here is my problem . i work on unity for an AR project . i mad a box with a extrude in it and i put an animation of rotation on the box ... the problem is that when i export an .apk for my android , i don't have any self shadow projected on my box in AR .... and i have dynamic shadow in unity . i don't understand why it doens't export on my android ...

i'm using unity pro , and my player settign are :

minimum API level : android 2.0.1 exlair ( api level 6 )
    device filter : ARMv7 only
    instal location : prfer external
    graphic level : openGL ES 2.0

Can u help me plz ? Thanks

8. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Unity Technologies

9. snedgel

snedgel

i have an sony ericson android , version : 2.3.4

10. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Unity Technologies

You should be more specific about device model, because it highly depends on what GPU it has. From Unity Manual (http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/Shadows.html) : "GL_OES_depth_texture support. Most notably, Tegra-based Android devices do not have it, so shadows are not supported there.". Also you need Pro version of Android license.