Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted Mobile performance: bigger scene VS multiple scenes?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Jihaysse, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Jihaysse

Jihaysse

Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on a mobile game (iOS/Android) and I was wondering if there is a difference between using less big scenes or more small scenes.

My game is an open-world, offline RPG. My initial plan was to:
    - Have one terrain per scene (small, the player can walk from one end to another in 20 - 30 seconds)
    - Have loading screens between each scene (thus each terrain)

I thought it would be better for performance as less Game Objects would be loaded and displayed.

Now I've thought I could also use bigger scene (bigger terrain, for e.g. 4 times bigger) and activate/deactivate GameObjects based on distance with the player (using Raycast or a BoxTrigger around the player?).

Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Kind regards

Attached Files:

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You will not be able to answer your performance questions until you can define what "better for performance" means, and until you have actual code running on actual hardware, and you attach the profiler.

Faster startup? Less battery drain? Easier to maintain project? Higher frame rate? Lack of spikes as you move from area to area? Less memory use? Less GPU use? Less CPU use??

Hitting limitations in any of these areas will require a completely different engineering approach for each one. There is no magic spray bottle of performance.

3. Jihaysse

Jihaysse

Thank you for your answer.

Is there a way I can test on an iOS device without an Apple Developer account?
    If I'm not wrong, Unity Remote only displays the game on the device screen so I can't test my game using it.

Kind regards

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I don't think there is.

unityunity