Search Unity

Mobile Notifications

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GleyGames, Nov 13, 2019.

1. GleyGames

GleyGames

Mobile Push Notifications
    Keep your players engaged
    Gley-Social.png
    Get it from Asset Store - Mobile Push Notifications
    For detailed implementation instructions see the Documentation

Key Features:
    • Increase your game engagement by sending notifications.
    • Schedule local notifications with a single line of code.
    • Click callback with custom message for each notification to track app sessions started by notification press.
    • Custom notification icons.
    • Custom notification text.
    • Device restart support.
    • Works for Android and iOS without any changes..
    • Full code and demo scene included.
    • Works with Unity 2019 and above with Free, Plus or Pro license.
    • Requires Mobile Notifications package from Unity.
    Currently supported platforms:
    • Android
    • iOS
    Simple code that works for supported platforms without any change:
    • Initialize Notification Plugin
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start()
    2. {
    3.         GleyNotifications.Initialize();
    4.         openText.text=GleyNotifications.AppWasOpenFromNotification();
    5. }
    • Preparing Notification

Code (CSharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// Schedule a notification
    3. /// </summary>
    4. /// <param name="title">Title of the notification</param>
    5. /// <param name="text">Content of the notification</param>
    6. /// <param name="timeDelayFromNow">delay to display the notification, this delay will be added to current time</param>
    7. /// <param name="smallIcon">name of the custom small icon from Mobile Notification Settings</param>
    8. /// <param name="largeIcon">name of the custom large icon from Mobile Notification Settings</param>
    9. /// <param name="customData">this data can be retrieved if the users opens app from notification</param>
    11. GleyNotifications.SendNotification("Game Title", "Notification body", new System.TimeSpan(hours, minutes, seconds), "small_icon_name", "large_icon_name", "Optional message if app is opened from notification");
    A step by step integration tutorial is available here:

Manuele8838 likes this.
  2. unitynosf

unitynosf

Hey; looking good!

Aside from what it seems as understanding of what was really needed as plugin I like the effort with details.
    Will buy for sure.

Quick question tho; might be a good first question :D

So, just to be sure, when you say that Initialize() starts up notification channel and cancels all pending notifications, what is then the exact flow or setup that works best if I want to send 1 notification every 24h to the user (or by any similar repeating rule)?

Thank you!

3. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    We have a complete implementation example in our test scene, but i will explain it to you for a better understanding.
    If you schedule a notification in 24 hours, and your user enters in your app before, lets say 23:59 your user will be inside your app and you want to cancel all pending notifications because your user is already in your app, you do not want him to be notified that something happen in you app, a bonus is available, because he is inside your app and it will know.

And the implementation goes something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  private void OnApplicationFocus(bool focus)
    2. {
    3.         if(focus == false)
    4.         {
    5.             //if user left your app schedule all your notifications
    6.             GleyNotifications.SendNotification("Game Title", "App was minimized", new System.TimeSpan(0, 1, 0), null, null, "Opened from Gley Minimized Notification");
    7.         }
    8.         else
    9.         {
    10.             //call initialize when user returns to your app to cancel all pending notifications
    11.             GleyNotifications.Initialize();
    12.         }
    13. }

4. ossang

ossang

Hi,
    How to send noti at certain time every day?

5. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    Since our plugin is not a server side plugin you have to manually compute that time difference from DateTime.now and DateTime you want to send the notification and schedule the notification using that difference.

6. harunuysali

harunuysali

Hello,
    I recently buy you plugin but it seems not working properly,
    I downloaded your example app .apk it's working with it but when I do in my project it's not working (like there is something I should do but not mentionet anywhere)
    I just open a new empty project and just added your plugin and build with your example scene = it's not working
    What am I missing ?

Here is Error code :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. 2020-03-04 17:06:01.890 ? E/Unity: AndroidJavaException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: no static method with name='findResourceidInContextByName' signature='(Ljava/lang/Object;Landroid.app.Application;Lcom.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity;)I' in class Lcom.unity.androidnotifications.UnityNotificationManagerOreo;
    2.     java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: no static method with name='findResourceidInContextByName' signature='(Ljava/lang/Object;Landroid.app.Application;Lcom.unity3d.player.UnityPlayerActivity;)I' in class Lcom.unity.androidnotifications.UnityNotificationManagerOreo;
    3.         at com.unity3d.player.ReflectionHelper.getMethodID(Unknown Source:180)
    4.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeFocusChanged(Native Method)
    5.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.a(Unknown Source:0)
    6.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e$1.handleMessage(Unknown Source:177)
    7.         at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)
    8.         at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:201)
    9.         at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e.run(Unknown Source:20)
    10.       at UnityEngine._AndroidJNIHelper.GetMethodID (System.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    SanketRJDave likes this.
  7. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    Please follow our youtube tutorial ad it should work. If not let us know.

8. HeathC

HeathC

Bought your asset... question: on iOS, there is a setting for requesting authorization when the app starts... I don't want that... how do I request authorization later?

9. GleyGames

GleyGames

10. HeathC

HeathC

11. GleyGames

GleyGames

I will add this into our To Do list and it will be added in our next update.

HeathC likes this.
  12. HeathC

HeathC

Using BOLT I've noticed that when I set up a notification using a time from now unit (as opposed to the timespan unit) it only pushes the last one... is that by design or is that a bug?

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 3.58.33 PM.png

13. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    Are you using the latest version of our plugin?
    Please update the plugin.

14. HeathC

HeathC

I see that this is fixed in an update to the push asset in ver 1.1.2 by itself but I bought the Mobile Tools package... it says I have the latest version and this update is not there

15. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    We will update mobile tools as well on Monday, and it should be live on asset store in a couple of days. If you need it sooner please write us at gley.assets@gmail.com send us your invoice number and we will send it to you sooner.
    Thank you!

HeathC likes this.
  16. HeathC

HeathC

Will this be the update that will include the request authorization for push later as opposed to at app start as we discussed earlier in this thread?

17. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    The authorization is not a priority right now, we have more important and urgent issues to deal with right now.
    Thank you for understanding

18. HeathC

HeathC

Thank you for updating Mobile Tools, that fixed the issue of only one push being scheduled, however, now all my notifications are doubled... two get pushed for every notification

19. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    Please verify your code and make sure it doesn`t run twice.
    If not, you can prepare a test project and send it to us at gley.asset@gmail.com to be able to reproduce your issue. Thank you!

20. HeathC

HeathC

Turns out on iOS if you have OnAppPause and OnAppQuit going to the same set of checks for what to push, it will come twice... I had to put an init/clear after quit and before the check to clear the pause push... works now... thank you for the update!

21. GleyGames

GleyGames

Glad you managed to solve your issue. Good luck with your game!

HeathC likes this.
  22. Lampogolovii_

Lampogolovii_

Hey guys!
    Could you please tell me - can I add a button to a notification? Like play/pause button for my audio player in my game.
    Thanks in advance

23. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    Notification overlaps your current open app, it might be or not your app open.
    I do not know exactly what you are asking.
    If you are asking for custom buttons inside notification popup that is not possible. Inside your game you can do anything you want.
    Please give us more details.

24. Lampogolovii_

Lampogolovii_

Yes, my question was about button inside notification (I've attached an image). You say that it's not possible. I see. Thanks for your reply!

Attached Files:

25. GleyGames

GleyGames

Sorry that is not possible and it will not be in the near future.

26. HeathC

HeathC

If a user doesn't allow push when they first start the app, what checks can we make to see if they ever allow them again so that the system we build will push if they change their mind?

27. GleyGames

GleyGames

You can send the notification as you wish, if the permission is not granted the notification will not show. You do not have to change anything inside your app.

28. BenWilles

BenWilles

Hi, does this support emojis?

29. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    You can only send strings as parameter when scheduling a notification.

30. HeathC

HeathC

on ios i had the setting to ask permission at the start of the app, now that I am working on an android version, this never pops up... do we have to ask manually?

31. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    The permission should be automatically added inside android manifest.
    Please check the demo app on the asset store and see if you are able to receive notifications on your testing device.

32. HeathC

HeathC

what line should I add to the manifest if it isn't there?

33. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    Please send me an email at gley.assets@gmail.com with your invoice number and I will send you a complete working project with notifications integrated.

34. hansadler

hansadler

Does this asset support remote push notifications? It appears to only work with local notifications. Thanks.

35. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,
    This asset only support Local Notifications. You cannot send notifications from a server.

36. kayisoftDev

kayisoftDev

Hello,

The asset is nice, and working well, tested on (Note5 Android 6, Gley Mobile Notifictions
    1.1.3, Unity Mobile Notifictions 1.3.2)
    I've two issues please:

1- On Android, "Reschedule Notifications on Device Restart" is working, and it's sending the Notification after restart

but if in this case, if I clicked on the notification, nothing happens,
    neither the app opens nor the notification disappears
    The Notification is still there even if clicked on it multiple times

2- I wanted to use this method
    GleyNotifications.AppWasOpenFromNotification
    inside OnApplicationFocus (not in start)
    to get the information if the player clicked on the notifiction while the app is runing in the background

the method AppWasOpenFromNotification really returns the correct value if I clicked on a Notifiction while the App is in background

but after that, try to minimize the App, and come back to it without a notification, the method AppWasOpenFromNotification will return the same value returned previously, while to should return empty string in this case

to solve this issue: you should clear the value you return in AppWasOpenFromNotification if the app lost focus (OnApplicationFocus, focus=false)

Best regards

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  37. GleyGames

GleyGames

About issue 1 I cannot help you because that is a Unity plugin issue, and each phone manufacturer has his own security checks and his own android version and on some devices you need additional permissions but that should be fixed by unity guys in the future.

About issue 2, that is not an issue. That method should be called only once exactly when you app opens and never again during your app lifetime. So that method works as intended, the first time your app was launched was launched from the notification so if you minimize your app and maximize it again, it was still originally opened from the notification so in my opinion no action is needed. So if you need the behavior that you described you should apply the solution you proposed using your own local variable that resets when OnFocus is called.

Let me know if you need additional help.

38. unity_tZmCsuMVbRDQmA

unity_tZmCsuMVbRDQmA

Hi. May be somebody know why new line \n displayed in notification body as \n but now new line here :( even if string is verbatim

39. Hadid

Hadid

hi there i got a question regarding the plugin! like how do we bring it to unit test in real scenarios like will it support the manual time changing of the device to show the notification because i have checked and it doesnt work that for multiple projects though other plugins do support such thing

40. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,

The plugin is just a simple wrapper of the official Unity plugin. I just made it more simple to use, not changes are made to the official Unity plugin, so all the functionality of the Unity plugin is the same. The notification time is stored using some external services and some devices might or might not respond correctly to time change, it depends on the manufacturer. Since you are an experienced user that wants to write Unit tests, I think it will be more easy for you to alter the notification time during tests than to change the device time.

Also I am not sure I understand exactly your question.

41. kayisoftDev

kayisoftDev

Hello:
    Using Unity 2019.4.35f1
    Unity's mobile notification: 2.0.0

we are getting this crash on android while initializing

Non-fatal Exception: java.lang.Exception: AndroidJavaException : java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: no static field with name='EXTRA_BIG_TEXT' signature='Ljava/lang/Object;' in class Landroid/app/Notification;
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRender(com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.nativeRender(com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer.access$300(com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e$1.handleMessage(com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e$1)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(android.os.Handler)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(android.os.Looper)
    at com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e.run(com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer$e)
    at UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe.CheckException(UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe)
    at UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe.GetStaticFieldID(UnityEngine.AndroidJNISafe)
    at UnityEngine._AndroidJNIHelper.GetFieldID(UnityEngine._AndroidJNIHelper)
    at UnityEngine.AndroidJNIHelper.GetFieldID(UnityEngine.AndroidJNIHelper)
    at UnityEngine._AndroidJNIHelper.GetFieldID[ReturnType](UnityEngine._AndroidJNIHelper)
    at UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject._GetStatic[FieldType](UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject)
    at Unity.Notifications.Android.AndroidNotificationCenter.Initialize(Unity.Notifications.Android.AndroidNotificationCenter)
    at Unity.Notifications.Android.AndroidNotificationCenter.RegisterNotificationChannel(Unity.Notifications.Android.AndroidNotificationCenter)
    at GleyPushNotifications.NotificationManager.Initialize(GleyPushNotifications.NotificationManager)
    at GleyLocalNotificationPlatform.Init(GleyLocalNotificationPlatform)

42. SangHyun-Park

SangHyun-Park

Hello.
    I used this code.
    GleyNotifications.SendRepeatNotification(title, text
    , new System.TimeSpan(timeSpan.Hours, timeSpan.Minutes, timeSpan.Seconds), new System.TimeSpan(24, 0, 0), null, null, "Test");

I received first notification. (example after 30 minutes)
    But I don't received after 24 hours in iOS.
    Please help me.

43. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,

Your field EXTRA_BIG_TEXT is not properly configured. Please check your implementation

44. GleyGames

GleyGames

Hello,

I just tested and iOS and the Mobile Notification package from unity does not work anymore. I am waiting for a solution from the Unity devs

45. lemonip00

lemonip00

If long Text how does it appear on the screen?
    Is Text cut off?

46. peanut23

peanut23

The text was:
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Massa id neque aliquam vestibulum morbi blandit cursus risus at. Eu volutpat odio facilisis mauris sit amet. Eget egestas purus viverra accumsan in nisl nisi. Integer feugiat scelerisque varius morbi enim nunc faucibus a pellentesque. Id nibh tortor id aliquet. Vitae tempus quam pellentesque nec nam aliquam. Lectus arcu bibendum at varius vel pharetra vel turpis. Quisque id diam vel quam elementum pulvinar etiam non quam. Accumsan in nisl nisi scelerisque. Ipsum a arcu cursus vitae congue mauris rhoncus aenean."

Here's the result:
    Screenshot_20220420_134218.jpg
    and:
    Screenshot_20220420_134050.jpg

47. Zappyy

Zappyy

Hello, I tried to build the example (for Android) with Unity 2021 LTS & Mobile Notifications v. 2.0.2. It does not seem to trigger any notifications...

48. GleyGames

GleyGames

Make sure your selected platform is Android and that you pressed the save button as shown in the image:
    image_2022-08-11_120824992.png

49. Zappyy

Zappyy

Thank you, I tried many things but this did the trick.

GleyGames likes this.
  50. daveinpublic

daveinpublic

Is there a way to make custom noises along with the notifications? For both iOS and Android?