Search Unity

[mobile] How does "Quality" reduce LOD?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by kmk68, Jun 11, 2018.

1. kmk68

kmk68

Hello.

Im struggling with a lot of objects on the mobilephone.
    Several hundred moving animated objects in the field of view of the camera.
    Too slow. 6-10 frames for quality: fastest. But I noticed that in the tab
    "Stats" (all the time for the quality "fastest") the number of triangles to render falls
    if the group of objects moves away. Only that the amount decreases too slowly.

What is responsible for the "disappearing" of parts of the triangles?
    Can I modify some parameters to speed up the disappearance of triangles?

Reducing the quality of objects only gives effect when the nearest ones look terrible.
    I can use several types with different LOD and replace depending on the distance
    from the camera ... But maybe there is another way?

Best regards,
    Kajetan

2. Stardog

Stardog

Try reducing the camera view distance.

3. kmk68

kmk68

Scaling and changing the distance of the camera helped a bit. FPS increased to 15-17.
    I downloaded 'Automatic LOD' - afrer use - it fell back to 8 FPS. :-(

I am at the stage of performance testing, if I need to fit the story to the possibilities,
    but I am still looking for solutions to increase efficiency.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Have you used the profiler?

5. kmk68

kmk68

Yes. But 90% of the time is drawing. 2 million triangles in the scene.
    I noticed only that the distance to the "fastest" quality decreases the number of triangles. Not much. I would like to strengthen this effect.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Apologies if I'm wrong but it doesn't sound very scientific what you are doing.

You have not been specific anywhere and have totally assumed it's just triangles, so you should just LOD them if that's what you really believe.

% is meaningless (really, it's meaningless). Show screenshots or millisecs of what is taking time. Figure out your setpass and drawcall count.

7. kmk68

kmk68

OKAY. I can but later, I do not have a computer with Unity here, but:

I'm only analyzing the display of objects. The scene contains only 800 instances of one object, without any scripts. For 200 instances, FPS is ok. I am adding more quantities: 100 ... 200 ... 300, FPS drops.

I tried to reduce the texture. It gives little. I have reduced the quality to "Fastests". It has grown, but not enough.

I generated objects with fewer triangles (by half) and it was ok, but the quality for those standing closest was too weak.

The objects are divided into 11 equal groups standing at different distances from the camera. I saw that the quality of "Fastest" drops the number of triangles in the farthest groups. Cool! This solution would be enough for me. But it falls too slowly and too little.

But if LOD falls, then somewhere in the Unity must be a parameter - how close and how much the LOD is supposed to fall. And I'm looking for that.