Search Unity

Question Mobile graphics optimization, unplayable game

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by djweaver, Oct 13, 2020.

1. djweaver

djweaver

I can't figure out why I am getting such low fps on my mobile (android) game using URP. Could textures be causing this? I read somewhere that having a lot of textures with transparency can cause issues. I have a couple in my UI (the health bar display, as well as the shader in the background uses transparency)

I'm not looking for ridiculously fast fps... anything at or over 30 would be acceptable. But right now, less than 15 is insane. I downloaded Call of Duty Mobile this afternoon just to test it for comparison and it ran smooth as butter. This? Well... the renderer is super slow... I mean like 30+ms every frame. I can't figure out why... if this is a bug, or if its something I'm doing. I've tried everything. I'm using object pooling. I've traded out a lot of update loop logic for More Effective Coroutines (supposed to be way faster). The app builds in less than a couple of minutes... what could be causing this renderer slowdown?

performance_cpu.png

2. bgolus

bgolus

Gfx.WaitForPresentOnGfxThread is how long the CPU is taking waiting for the GPU to finish rendering the previous frame. In this case that's showing ~50ms, which means you're GPU bound. There's nothing the Unity profiler is going to be able to do to help you here, because it's only showing how long your CPU is taking to do stuff.

Lots of transparency is indeed very bad for mobile, but the only way to know for sure is use a GPU profiler, which you'll have to find the one specific to the GPU on your mobile device to use.

goldcloud144, tree_arb and djweaver like this.
  3. adamgolden

adamgolden

A couple of quick optimizations in the URP asset without changing code - reduce Shadow Resolution (and distance, as any given resolution is spread out over it), uncheck Opaque and Depth textures if you don't need them for anything. Look over lighting, types, numbers of shadow casters, the number of lights per object limit - reduce whatever won't have an impact or will have negligible impact. Think re lightmapping and baking (which I don't know enough about yet to suggest anything specific with confidence).

In build settings make sure Blit Type is set to Auto instead of Always, tinker with other settings and see if any have a positive effect - it's hit or miss, but a few extra frames per second here and there add up. Also, you can override default frame rate with Application.targetFrameRate - just mind the temperature / throttling, you're probably better off leaving it default unless for some reason it's less than 30 on the device you're testing with. Keep batch counts low however possible, distant scenery should be combined within reason (a complex topic I won't touch on here), keep texture resolution realistic, be careful with use of Post Processing, as for transparency try to use alpha clip instead with opaque shaders if it won't make much of a difference where used. Try to keep shaders simple wherever possible. Try to keep poly counts low / put some effort into mesh reduction if you haven't.

Also.. note that comparing your game to a AAA title isn't realistic. Not to discourage you - just saying, neither you nor I have unlimited resources. Anyway, I hope you'll find some of what I mentioned useful.

4. djweaver

djweaver

@polemical

This is with all shadows disabled, no post processing, and roughly 15k tris in scene. I disabled the directional light and have one point light on avatar, so down to a single real time light. I guess my next move is to make a very basic starter scene with like a cube and see what the renderer is doing there.

And yeah, I get that Call of Duty is AAA and my game is not. But this seems to be beyond poor optimization... this is unplayable even at the most basic level.

5. djweaver

djweaver

Gonna look into that, thanks.

Here is a test with the basic Mobile 3d template, just an empty scene w/skybox, no URP
    test_mobile3dtemplate.png

6. djweaver

djweaver

Tried removing vulkan and running with Opengles3, disabling multithreading, among various other settings with the same results... still waiting on GPU to render frames

Been looking around for a GPU profiler, can't seem to find one. There is 2019 Unity documentation that refers to ones existence, but I can't find that and assume it is wrong. I'm not sure if its something that would be specific to my phones gpu (Adreno 506) or if there is some gpu profiler that people are generally using. Can't find any reliable info on this topic.

7. adamgolden

adamgolden

@djweaver I do get the frustration - I've been through the wringer with Android myself, I use an S5 for benchmarking and that is nowhere near a gaming device by any stretch (in fact a quick search says it's discontinued). That has an Adreno 330 GPU, which I'm assuming is older than your 506 - and it's capped at 30fps unless I set Application.targetFrameRate explicitly higher. It might be worth a quick test to see if that's the case with your device as well if you haven't tried already.

djweaver likes this.
  8. djweaver

djweaver

@polemical Well at least I'm on the right track now. I dug out my old galaxy s8 and am gonna try that as soon as I get it updated. If its just an issue with my Blackberry (I'm hoping its some throttling or something related to security or somesuch that is specific to Blackberry) then I'll move on with development and just count that device out.

I tried setting Application.targetFrameRate to 30 fps when I was testing my actual game and not the 3d mobile template. The problem with the game is that it doesn't get anywhere close to 30fps to begin with, so I doubt setting the cap higher would help? I don't know, maybe I will try it after I test with the S8.

JamesArndt and adamgolden like this.
  9. adamgolden

adamgolden

The last thing worth mentioning for now, if you're not already familiar with Adaptive Performance, I'd suggest reading up on it. This isn't something applicable to our phones given it's only supported on Android 10+ iirc, but looking ahead..

https://resources.unity.com/uniteno...er-aaa-mobile-games-with-adaptive-performance
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/04/0...oother-frame-rates-with-adaptive-performance/
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.adaptiveperformance@2.0/manual/user-guide.html
    https://developer.samsung.com/codelab/game/adaptive-performance/overview.html

10. bgolus

bgolus

Understand mobile devices are always Vsynced. That means they always wait for the screen refresh to happen before rendering the next frame. The above example may be taking just longer than 16.6ms to render, or the target frame rate is set to 30, it’ll wait until 33.3ms have passed before starting to render again. If it takes just longer than 33.3ms it’ll wait until 66.6ms have passed.

Again, unless you use a proper GPU profiling tool, you’ll have no idea what’s going on.
    https://developer.qualcomm.com/software/snapdragon-profiler

djweaver likes this.
  11. bgolus

bgolus

Another thing about Call of Duty Mobile. By default it runs with a 720 vertical resolution, which is probably far lower than your screen resolution. I suspect the URP defaults to running at full resolution.

12. djweaver

djweaver

Thank you for this link. I was clueless as to where to get said profiler for the GPU. I'm awaiting approval for registration as we speak.

I ran the same test with the 3d mobile template on the S8 with and without Application.targetFrameRate = 120; with same results. @bgolus if I'm understanding you correctly, the vsync would be the reason for being gpu bound at around the 30 fps mark, however, I expected when I set the targetFrameRate to 120, this would have changed. It did not. Also, you are correct, my original app was running at the max res of the device which was 1080x1620. I will definitely be changing this once I figure out how

heres the galaxy S8 (adreno 540) with targetFrameRate set to 120
    test_mobile3dtemplate_galaxyS8_2.png

13. djweaver

djweaver

I'm running the Snapdragon profiler. Getting green on device and connection status, but no data coming into realtime, trace or snapshot modes when running the app.

14. bgolus

bgolus

Regardless of if you've set it to 120, if it can't make the frame time it'll wait until the next screen refresh. It doesn't matter if you set the target frame rate to 120 if it's taking >16 ms to render a frame. We know it is because the wait for present / present and sync times are above that.

Also if the device can't do 120hz (which the S8 can't, it only has a 60hz display) it'll be still be limited to a max of 60hz. And if it can't complete the frame in the 60hz 16ms window, it'll display at 30 hz, or 20 hz, or 15 hz ... because 16 ms * 2 = 33 ms or 30 hz, 16 ms * 3 = 50 ms or 20 hz, 16 ms * 4 = 66 ms or 15 hz. It's just waiting until the next 60hz frame refresh.

The target frame rate is mainly used to make the game run at a lower frame rate than the device is capable of, for battery savings.

I'm not sure how to set specific resolutions on Android without creating render texture targets and assigning them to the camera. But under the player settings you can set resolution scaling to fixed DPI, set a target DPI, and then there's an additional scale setting you can use from quality settings or script.

djweaver likes this.
  15. djweaver

djweaver

@bgolus I was hoping that I could just set the reference resolution on the camera (set to screen) to the desired resolution and it would upscale or downscale everything according to that. But I have no idea what I'm talking about. I don't even know if when an application is set to run at a particular resolution if it ever really does run at that exact resolution or if that figure is just a means to calculate and scale everything to target devices resolution, and beyond any of that, how much this all correlates to gpu usage.

Question:
    When you profile your gpu using the snapdragon profiler, what exactly does your workflow look like? The way I connected mine was I had to put the adb directory in my PATH env variable (windows) and set the adb and ndk directories in the snapdragon profiler settings. Then I connected my device, ran 'adb devices' command in command prompt to make sure it was connected, then ran the profiler and it connected automatically after a few seconds. Green on the device icon, green on the connection icon. I've tried real time profiling, trace and snapshot... each of which have a section that allows me to launch the app. I choose the app (in my case "com.DefaultCompany.TestApp") from the lists, it launches on my device with a small dialog telling me to wait for the debugger to attach, then it attaches and the app continues to run.... but I get no data from the profiler.

16. bgolus

bgolus

No idea, because I don't do Android dev. ;)

That's not entirely true, I do Oculus Quest dev, but my Android dev environment or my very old engineering sample Quest has issues where I can't connect any profiler, even Unity or our own internal tools. I can only issue ADB and she'll commands from command line. :p

djweaver likes this.
  17. djweaver

djweaver

Lol, lovely. Welp. This is day four of me trying to figure out why my very very basic scrolling shooter game gets 12 fps with no custom shaders, no shadows, 1 light, object pooling, and less than 10 textures. When I add my 3 custom shaders into the mix, my game runs slower than dried dog turds rolling upwards against the wind to the peak of mount everest.

So far I have
    -two unique devices that look virtually the same on paper (unity profiler)
    -A gpu profiler that I can't get working to even begin to understand why I'm having this issue
    -No idea what settings I could change once I determine what said issue is, being that I've tried just about every graphic related setting I have thought of and read about

But give up I wont! There has to be some reasonable explanation here... its gotta be something so simple... so easily overlooked.

18. djweaver

djweaver

I think this is the ticket. I've been experimenting with setting the DPI. I set it to 72 and my fps wasn't dipping much lower than 30 (seems like due to the vsync, 30 fps is the best I can hope for). Obviously it looked like trash, but it allowed me to bring my custom shaders back in with relatively decent performance.

I noticed when playing in the editor that my batches could reach as high as 40ish... does this seem high? It appears to correlate with the amount of projectiles I am firing, which I don't really understand. My projectiles are spheres with a solid color, yet they are emissive. I have some transparent UI elements, as well as sprite gameobjects (item drops) that cascade down the screen, but if I disable all of that, my projectiles can still push the batch number well into the 30's. Could this be a problem? Would using a sprite mesh in any of the situations where I'm using transparency with sprite images (either in UI or in world) help me at all? Or is this likely some negligible thing that probably has little to do with the performance drop I'm facing?

19. Sky77

Sky77

We do a lot of mobile development, albeit on iOS. The first thing you should do if you are GPU bound on mobile in a simple scene is dropping the resolution.
    Android phones tend to have crazy high resolution screens, which means a lot of pixels to push around, a lot of times without an adeguate GPU. You can modify the Render Scale from the URP asset.
    Start from here and then optimize.

Braza and djweaver like this.
  20. djweaver

djweaver

I think you're right about the resolution. The biggest noticeable performance increase I got was when I disabled vsync count setting, and increased the Application.targetFrameRate to 60. (When I increased it to 120, nothing changed... I'm assuming 120 must have been so high it triggered some default reset to 30 or something)

As things are now, I'm gpu bound at 60fps with time/ms being anywhere from 13-18ms which is a big improvement, but this came from disabling the vsync count, explicitly setting the targetFrameRate, and lowering the output DPI in player settings

adamgolden likes this.
  21. adamgolden

adamgolden

If you want to give users the power to tweak their own performance/temper throttling, this might help:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    2. using UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal;
    4. // procedurally changing MSAA, Render Scale, Shadow Distance, whatever else there:
    5. UniversalRenderPipelineAsset urp = (UniversalRenderPipelineAsset)GraphicsSettings.currentRenderPipeline;
    6. urp.msaaSampleCount = _msaa;
    7. urp.renderScale = _renderScale;
    8. urp.shadowDistance = _shadowDistance;
    10. // to enable/disable shadow pass entirely I've been using with shadow casting lights:
    11. light.shadows = _shadowsEnabled ? LightShadows.Soft : LightShadows.None;
    13. // procedural toggle of Post Processing:
    14. Volume volume = ref.GetComponent<Volume>(); // ref being reference to whichever GameObject has the Volume component
    15. if (volume != null) volume.enabled = _postProcessEnabled;
    17. // can disable it for given camera this way (I do this and the above for my toggle):
    18. if (cam != null) // cam being a reference to Camera.main/whichever
    19. {
    20.   UniversalAdditionalCameraData cd = cam.GetComponent<UniversalAdditionalCameraData>();
    21.   if (cd != null) cd.renderPostProcessing = _postProcessEnabled;
    22. }
    Example (some of the graphics options in my Android builds - the above code is the how-to):
    urp_options_.jpg
    Unchecking "Target FPS" sets Application.targetFrameRate value to -1 (uncapped/default), otherwise I allow 15-60.
    Resolution slider is just adjusting urp.renderScale between 0.25f and 1.0f, times 100 ("25%" through "100%")
    MSAA values: 1,2,4,8 (1 being none, followed by 2X, 4X, 8X).

msjoberg, Hellfim, Braza and 2 others like this.
  22. adamgolden

adamgolden

Also note that since OpenGLES2 doesn't support Post Processing, you can add a function like this somewhere:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static bool SupportsPostProcessing()
    2. {
    3. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    4.   return true; // or whatever you want for testing purposes
    5. #else
    6.   return (SystemInfo.graphicsDeviceType != GraphicsDeviceType.OpenGLES2);
    7. #endif
    8. }
    Then you can use that for whatever you'd like - maybe if it's false you change ambient light, make the main light brighter or more dim, or boost a Saturation node in a shader through material.SetFloat.. because not having some effects like Tonemapping or Bloom if you're using them can make a big difference in lighting and color, and if that's ever a problem down the road this is an approach you could take. In my case right now I just use that to hide my Post Processing toggle if it's not supported by the graphics API. Possibly worth noting, in my Project Settings->Player I have "Auto Graphics API" unchecked and have OpenGLES3 at the top, then OpenGLES2 - so it will fall back to the second option if the first won't work and still run. I can't suggest anything related to Vulkan because that's not something I know much about.

djweaver likes this.
  23. djweaver

djweaver

Nice!
    @polemical cant wait to dive into these. My Settings menu was next on the agenda after I fixed these performance issues. Right now I'm refactoring everything and integrating a menu system (this time I'm considering the batch count/draw calls)

adamgolden likes this.
  24. joshuacwilde

joshuacwilde

You said custom shaders? Everything you are saying would lead me to believe your shaders are really expensive. If you lower your screen res and performance improves dramatically, it is usually as a result of poor performing fragment/pixel shaders. Or maybe you have lots of post processing (also shaders).

djweaver likes this.
  25. xVergilx

xVergilx

Not sure if Frame Debugger works under URP, but it might be worth checking total draw calls as well.

If you're using custom shaders, make sure they're SRP Batcher compatible.
    Otherwise you'll end up with too many draw calls.

djweaver likes this.
  26. adamgolden

adamgolden

djweaver likes this.
  27. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

I can tell you as much from my Android Benchmarks with a Galaxy S9+ (Snapdragon 845):
    - Limit your drawcalls to around 300-600 (can be achieved via static batching or combining meshes)
    - Limit your vertices to around 2-3 Million (this is approximately where framerate goes below 30FPS due to vertex processing)
    - Remove Post-Processing Effects Effects (re-enable them one by one), reduce your resolution to half resolution if you want 60FPS (30FPS are possible with FHD+ set in the device settings which is slightly above Full HD)
    - Use Forward Pipeline, Use Multithreaded Rendering. Use GLES3. Don't use Vulkan or Compute Buffers as they produce heavy stutter (at least on the S9+).
    - Use Gamma Color Space
    - Set up your shadows so they don't use cascades - You can use high res soft shadows still.
    - Use IL2CPP for CPU performance profiling
    - You can try "Sustained Performance Mode" to avoid thermal throttling on the device.
    - You can try Dynamic Resolution Mode (however for me it did not really work)

I also experimented with URP SRP Batcher vs No SRP Batcher vs old render pipeline:
    - In general if you have lot's of instances of the same mesh, gpu instancing is still way faster than SRP Batcher (I',m talking about >100 instances)
    - The old pipeline is still a little faster for me than the new one without SRP Batcher (around 10%)

Also, if you have a Samsung device their is an on device GPU Profiler (see Developer Options) that acually shows you some real-time data.

Once you want to change any of the above mentioned settings (i.e. switching from Gamma to Linear) you should make a new build after changing a single setting to see it's impact (for some settings it is huge)

novicecode, EminemJ, Sebasxs and 3 others like this.
  28. EminemJ

EminemJ

Thanks for your sharing ! Any suggestions about shader complexity, such as how many texture sampling operation is reasonable? I have around 30k vertex and 200+ drawcalls in my scene , and it causes overheating problems.

29. joshuacwilde

joshuacwilde

30k is nothing for any mobile GPU, even old ones. I would look into those 200+ draw calls. Unless you have very expensive shaders, those draw calls are probably your problem, which would mean it is the CPU, not the GPU that is the bottleneck. Remember to profile and look at your frame timings.

30. EminemJ

EminemJ

Thanks for the reply.Actually, the time spending on rendering in main thread is relatively acceptable(around 10ms ) while GPU(Adreno 630) temperature is reaching 60C in a couple of minutes(even when I disabled all PostProcessing),So I'm wondering if the shaders are too expensive for GPU and causing the overheating problem
    upload_2021-2-25_10-59-32.png

31. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

Have you tried enabling Sustained Performance Mode. Also when using a case and when charging the phone the temperatures will be higher.
    In my experience even up to a 600 draw calls should be no big problem on a Snapdragon 845. I always only use the Unity Standard Shaders with usually Main Texture + Normal Channel being used.

However if you don't enable sustained performance mode and you don't reach your framerate lock of i.e. 30FPS than the device will usually overheat no matter what

So say your goal is 60FPS (16.67ms) but you have 17ms each frame the device will overheat at some point. However with sustained performance mode this should not happen

Another thing you can try is to run your scene with all scripts disabled (to test the raw performance used by your scene)

32. RafaelGomes00

RafaelGomes00

That's a pretty old thread.
    I'm having basically the same issue as @djweaver, I have 80-90 batches and about 70k tris, with occlusion culling, lightmap, and static batching, and the only thing that seemed to resolve was to lower the Render scale inside the URP asset, and only if I reduce to something like 0.5/0.7

And what got my attention to this thread was that my phone GPU is a Adreno 506 (The same as @djweaver), and it seems like only my phone is the one who have the most perfomance issues :(, testing with another device with the same launch year (2018), it got 5-8 more fps. (we are talking about 18-20 fps)

Any advices?

Edit: I found the solution to my own problem, what was causing the performance issue was that Universal Render Pipeline/Lit shader is too heavy for mobile, changing to Simple Lit solves it

Edit 2: Just to clarify about the "Adreno 506" graphics card, it is a graphic card used in lower end mobile devices, and that's what is causing the issue. I advice to anyone who are making a mobile game to optimize all your shaders, I do not recommend ShaderGraph, because it is harder to manipulate the memory usage, If you can, always use C for graph shaders. And remember OPTIMIZE THE MOST YOU CAN

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    MatosEncoreMatos and tmonestudio like this.