Search Unity

Mobile Game - Do we really need run at native resolution?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by TeohRIK, May 24, 2019.

1. TeohRIK

TeohRIK

Sorry for my english.

Hi guys, I'm a PC game developer before I started a new mobile title with the company and for client.

I done some reading about graphic optimization for mobile device but there 1 particular thing that rarely mention in most of the mobile graphic optimization, which about the screen render resolution.

I understand screen resolution does affect graphic performance even in PC game, then the recent mobile phone tend to promote super high resolution for mid-end devices which actually causing the game to suffer running on mid-end devices.

Questions:
    Do you guys think is a good idea to always start the game with native resolution and provide option for player to turn down the render resolution, or always start the game with lower resolution example 16:9 will always start with 1080p or 720p and don't provide setting to let player to increase the render resolution.

1 thing I found is that the game not really noticeable the different when I run the game at lower resolution compare to native resolution

alexmcgt likes this.
  2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Not many games do that nowadays unfortunately.

Do provide that option if you can. Otherwise - don't bother.
    Or do it in a sneaky way. Nobody will notice 30-20% quality loss anyway.

TeohRIK likes this.
  3. bluescrn

bluescrn

A compromise is to render the 3D scene at a reduced resolution and the UI at full resolution, so text remains nice and sharp.

This can be done by rendering the main camera to a reduced-resolution RenderTexture, then blitting it to the screen before further cameras/overlays are rendered

TeohRIK and xVergilx like this.
  4. TeohRIK

TeohRIK

Thanks, I think I will go for second approach for now