Search Unity

MMOs CAN be created with Unity!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by r33lwhiteboy, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r33lwhiteboy

r33lwhiteboy

Just check out Family Guy online! It went into live testing, and guess what? You need the Unity web player to play it! I was already pretty excited to find out that one of my favorite TV shows was made into an MMO, and even more excited that it was an MMO based off of the Unity engine!

The only real issue I have with that is that I've known the web player to lag pretty bad.... When I get my beta key, I guess I'll see if that's the case.

Thoughts from anyone?

2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Everyone knows its possible.

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

GUESS WHAT EVERYONE I FOUND OUT THE MOST AMAZING THING! SIDE SCROLLING GAMES ARE POSSIBLE IN UNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(o_o' It is rather obvious seeing that there are already a few mmo's made using Unity)

4. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Yep, Anything is possible but how long it takes to achieve that final goal depends on not only your skills but the skills of the team. MMOs are often unrealistic because of the huge amount of time and money it takes to build and upkeep one.

5. r33lwhiteboy

r33lwhiteboy

Thank you. To the rest of the commenters, I was being sarcastic. Every thread I see where a guy has a new idea for a big MMO, the commenters bash on him and basically tell him it's impossible. I was trying to prove a point. Sure, it's unrealistic, but is it impossible? No. I have a friend. He's 15 years old and runs a social network. Is it big? No, but it's growing every day. And it's not a bad network, either. He's been working on it for quite a while now- just him. Anyone can create something with dedication.

6. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I found it easier to just ignore rude comments like the ones you describe (I've seen it too). Easier said than done, but sometimes I just have to respond. In any case, I wish you luck.

7. r33lwhiteboy

r33lwhiteboy

Oh, god no, I'm not gonna try for an MMO! That would sponge up too much time, and I've already got two projects I'm working on! (Well, one is on hold- the one in my signature. The one I'm working on now you can find in the collaboration forum.)

8. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

WHY? you just wasted a forum post posting this.

It is impossible its idiots that come hear and expect to make a MMO... you dont qwop into a hospital and tell them that your going to be doing the brain surgery.

NO YOU CANNOT, i tried to make a space rocket out of dedication it did not work it needs skill!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Probably because he has a right to post this in here.

I beg to differ. It's very much possible, but the team leader has to recognize his/her weaknesses and find a way to deal with said weakness.

Dedication and skill isn't everything. If you start building the game, or rocket in this case, the wrong way it's going to fall apart from there. Basically you don't need just dedication and skill. You have to know when, where, and how first. A good way to do this is to plan the right way. Before the flame war starts, I just want to say there is a wrong way to plan, but it depends on the individual. Experiment and you will find the right way.

10. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Oh, I took it for legit lol. People need to start using the snark mark.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Posts exaclty like this have been posted before and there dammn anoying there usaly some kind of ditch effort to get support once there collab projects fell appart... Ding Dong, this is the exact same thing 2 proijects in the colab section why not make a game for yourself R33lWhiteBoy?

His skill being "the idea man"? that is about 99% of the colab posts but seriously every one has ideas and most of them are great... i would only colab with a highly skilled individual. not some dick that though "Oh i like playing games i might make one" What kind of game should i make? that's it a MMOFG because i suck at them and i want to be an administrator.
    1. When: that has nothing to do with skill if you have the skill you can make it whenever you want
    2. Where: close the the equator if your shooting a satellite or anywhere otherwise.
    3. How: You don't become skilled at doing something without first knowing how.

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

We don't tell people it's impossible, we usually just make them aware of how difficult it is.

13. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Indeed. usually this occurs when we see someone with several posts start a topic like "I wanna make an MMO I have many ideas plz where can I learn some programming tips also if you are an artist plz contact". It's usually not this obvious however over the years one can "detect" such people - if a person is willing to pay/has previous finished projects/has a lot already done for the current project these are all good signs.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  14. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

There have been Unity MMO examples before this. Cartoon Network's Fusion Fall and Battlestar Galactica Online have been out there for a while now.

When someone comes to the collab forum and lists he needs help, and in the list he has "programmer" and "artists" as required team members... it is as possible as an armless man with tied feet attempting to swap flies for a living.

Most these people want to be "level designers" or "idea men" and have no money to pay anyone.

Separate technical challenge, but a small social network is extremely easy to do. The only challenges on social networking are 2:

1) Making it popular enough for it to generate enough ad revenue to be economically successful
    2) Have a properly engineered backend that will not collapse the day your servers get hit a 500% workload spike.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown

Meh I have no idea why somebody would want to start a social network.
    That's almost as bad as trying to create a WoW clone.

16. adaman

adaman

Titanty, YOU really shouldn't be criticizing others for posting.

17. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Errr, what have i posted?

18. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

He's probably suggesting you do the same thing, which I have no comment on.

19. AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

OK guys, it's time to lock this down. I'm not convinced that there was a genuine purpose to thread. The capability of a tool, and the skills required to finish a certain type of project are not the same thing. The MMO discussion is one we don't need to add to needlessly ;).

@titanty - You need to stop using profaninty on the forums, we have users who are minors, you included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.