Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MMO Log-In And Character Management

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Armillary, May 3, 2011.

1. Armillary

Armillary

Our team is currently trying to raise a bit of funding for our project. In light of this we've deiced to sell some of the scripts from this project, customized to meet the need of whoever might use it. The package we'll be selling will include the scripts needed to create a simple log-in screen, a character selection screen, and a character creation screen, also the database arbitrator (a program that manages the database) and instructions on setting up the database for use with this system. This system will let you (by default) have the following for characters - character name, number of characters per account, character location (for persistence should you want to use it, stored as three separate variables on the database locX, locY, and locZ.) Character Rank (we'll be using this for character advancement, it's stored as a string), Character License (same as above), Character Scene (used to store the name of the scene the player is in, also a string), then you have five variables stored on the database that you can use for any information, or never use at all.

In a nutshell the character systems basically set-up a basic method of creating a database record from the client program on a distant database. The log-in system is straightforward - just a username and password stored and used to get the character information. Account registration hasn't been coded yet, but if it's requested often enough I could add a simple script for it.

This package will require the Badumna networking system (free trail license available) and a database installed on the server machine you plan to use (it's made for cubrid but can be modified to work with mySQL upon request).

The nature of this software makes it difficult to just pick up and use, especially if you don't already know a decent amount about programming, thus why I'm a bit hesitant to offer it, but if we get a decent amount of demand for it I'll put it up. It would be a good example of a simple badumna arbitration system - note the the Arbitrator program will not come with a sourcecode unless you pay extra for it. If someone offers $300 I will customize this system for their needs however they want it, within reason and supply the source code for the arbitrator. I'm placing the initial price for the package at $50 without the source for the arbitrator and $75 with the sourcecode. The sourcecode of the arbitrator is in C# and will work with Visual Studio C# 2010 express.

What do you guys think?

2. sebako

sebako

badumna has a very small userbase so i don't think such a thing will sell good enough to raise fundings - all teams which use badumna, will/should be able to do this kind of system themself - but anyway good luck with selling!

3. kheng

kheng

I'm interested in this, but can you make it work for uLink and mySQL? And do you have a demo of the database arbitrator anywhere? even if its just a video capture. I'm willing to pay you $300 bucks for the changes and the sources code of course with a few other changes. PM and your interested. But I would like to see it in action first.

4. Armillary

Armillary

Well for that I'd need to construct a whole different system, but if you are willing to pay $300 I can take the time to look into it and code up a similar system.

5. zumwalt

zumwalt

? Database cross scripting is cake, if you code the client to be seemless regardless of database engine by utilizing a network shell, you have no need for the client to ever talk to the database directly. Point in fact, your game logic server should be the only bridge to the data warehouse. If you have the client talking directly to the database server now, you have recoding to do as it is.

Client should only use network bridge to a distribution server that determines data from a login logic system then bridges out to the application logic system, so those two systems talk to the data warehouse, in an MMO you never want to have the player talking to the databases directly.

Either way, good luck with selling some snippets to help get your project off the ground, decent way to go as long as the code is solid.

6. Armillary

Armillary

Well the way the badumna system works the security in-built utilizes arbitrators to secure certain information - in a way the arbitrator is the server logic as the "server" itself consists of a seedpeer (used to initialize the network) and other modules used for various purposes (dei server/ overload peer/ ect.). The client doesn't connect directly to the database in any way - it sends a request to the IDA which manages the database and sends a reply to the client.

7. Armillary

Armillary

I'm still working on this, I haven't got too many interested parties (in fact only one seems to be interested so far) so I'm not sure how this is going to sell. Nevertheless I'll finish up with the scripts, make a video of what it does and how it does it, then if I get some more interest I'll wrtie up the documentation needed to set up and customize the system and put it on the Unity store for $50. If you want the custom build or sourcecode version (source for the Arbitrator) you'll need to contact me.

8. kadishmal

kadishmal

9. Demostenes

Demostenes

Any progress?

10. Armillary

Armillary

I'll try to submit it, thanks for the information.

Sorry for being so behind on updating, I'm currently working on a project for an art trade and I haven't had much time for this lately, but I think I may get a bit of time this week, I hope to have a video of the system working by friday. I'm still working on the art trade project but I'm hoping that I can find time for both.

11. Armillary

Armillary

It's almost finished, and I'm uploading a video of the basics, I'll make a better video when I finish the final portion of it later this week, the character creation form.