Search Unity

MMO Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cookimage, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Taintix

Taintix

Hi Cookimage,

Every time I try to download the Atavism Unity Client it fails after a few minutes and gets reset and not completing. I have tried different browser, OS, browsers and connections with same result. I am running out of remaining downloads. Anything I have overlooked?
    Thanks in advance

2. cookimage

cookimage

Hmm Taintix, Ill have to have a look tonight. Just waiting for Sooms to come online and try and figure out whats wrong. If we cant fix it Ill send you a email with other option for you as no one else has that problem.

3. Zelious

Zelious

Thanks cookimage, have another question though, I just upgraded from Starter to Veteran, at first I just tried connecting to see if the "Account Type" in the Atavism plugin would change, it still says "Account Type: Starter", does it always say that and it just comes with the plugin files? (Or am I doing something wrong?)

Also, I re-installed by downloading the packages again (but the download count didn't reset, so I didn't think they'd be the Veteran files and was hoping that I wouldn't have to re-install every time there was an upgrade.) - that didn't work either.

4. cookimage

cookimage

The package is the same , but you will see now you have server source code package as well, AGIS package which comes with veteran. As for it not changing will have to look into it as it should have changed.

5. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

i bought the veteran license but not sure if i can test the game too. Btw, i am stil not sure how atavism server works? Does it use the same logic in unity such as network view and network instantiate. I think we need more demos or examples so we can fully understand the server.

6. cookimage

cookimage

Not sure if you have looked yet at our wiki, it has some information that might help

Atavism Wiki How Server Works

We can get you in to test the game once we do our next test run.

7. cookimage

cookimage

8. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

This looks really cool. So are you providing pretty much a working full demo of a working MMORPG that we can run out of the box and from there we can make our game from that? I myself don't know C# and being trying to learns bits here and there. One thing I been looking into is more MMORPG Creators. But most the ones out there offer a really good base to make one but provide 0 assets to use at all. Meaning I have not even basic movement animation or using a pick or heck even chopping a tree down.

I like the Neos Dev Diary that was really cool looking. It reminds me of Landmarks and your saying that is what you do terrain editing with or can Collaboratively?

9. Teila

Teila

So far, and I have had my license since March, we have not received any original assets. Yes, some came with the Terrain package but those are not original and are from Axis Game Factory, which you can buy on Steam for much less than Atavism. I don't think we actually own the license to those assets purchasing Axis Game Factory and I don't believe you can port those assets to other projects unless we actually purchase a license. I would check with Axis Game Factory before doing so.

The promised assets have not yet materialized. I do believe at least one asset has been released to a testing group but the rest have not been seen or heard from so have no idea if they even exist. If they are released and they are well done and usable, I will come back here and praise the developers and even post pretty pictures. However, I am skeptical that it will every happen. I think I have been promised "next week" now for months.

So..if that is your reason for buying Atavism, I suggest you wait. :) I have hundreds of dollars invested into this product and am still waiting.

10. cookimage

cookimage

Atavism has a full demo setup for you with all the features working with UI so you can start it and see how it works, its hard if you don't have the systems in place already in a working game to see how they work together. As for assets that's another package available for pre-sale which has not been released yet as it has all the assets as in models and so on we are doing for Neos Land and when we release them we will be taking that package of our store as the reason it was sold at a extremely low price was for the fact that you would have had to wait for its release. We are still busy with Neos Lands development as its still in Alpha thus the assets has not yet been released to all.

11. Teila

Teila

I have heard this before, several times! Problem is, you say it enough and it is hard to believe it when it actually happens. Might be better not to raise expectations. I do hope you surprise and delight me with a new asset package soon. :)

12. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

Sounds really amazing. So Essentially you are making a RPG Maker with all the bells and whistles. I think that is what a lot of people been looking for for a while now :) Great job. I will keep my eye on it for now as I'm not sure I'm confident enough yet in my skills and knowledge to get it.

13. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

In a few weeks, multiple times, then states when beta is out, then states over the next year... THAT should have been stated up-front that it would be such a long time coming, Its already nearing a year in dev, then another year on top of that?

I have pretty much given up on Atavism for at least anther 6 months and started work on a side project, this thing is barely an alpha let alone a Beta and so many things still need to be done its pointless to do any work on it outside of assets which since I am coming from another engine I pretty much have most of my assets aside from UMA armor and clothing.

14. cookimage

cookimage

We are working on releasing asset for the asset package right now, like it has been stated above testers has started testing some packages already.

15. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

Things take time and there is always delays. You are for sure in the wrong industry if you can't accept this. Even more so for something even related to a MMORPG in scale.

16. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

That has nothing to do with it, it is the promises, stating a delivery then not even stating as to why it was not met until someone asks about it, rinse and repeat. I am glad you know me so well to judge what industry I am in or should be in. Actually this is a hobby for me, although a rather expensive one.

I understand delays, BUT having said that I would expect the professionalism of at the minimum of a simple status update. I have been in IT for over 20 years working on multi-million dollar networks and have always found that keeping people informed goes a long way.

17. neff11

neff11

well 2 years and not in the asset store yet...
    have 2 questions
    1 - why can connect unlimited users to my game?
    2 - If there are limited users, i can change the network? because if there are a maximum it means its a S***.. thats why i'll put another

18. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

Because this is not ready yet. There are ccu licenses like photon. There is unlimited ccu license too.

19. cookimage

cookimage

Trying to understand your questions, there is different licenses with a limit on CCU which means users online in your game at any specific time. Reason we did it this way was so we can give developers a chance to build their game with a lower entry cost and build their users up to a point at which they would be financially able to buy the unlimited license which is our actual selling price we want to sell the product at. That way the cost is low while you are in development and only need the better license if you have enough players playing your game at which point you should be able to afford it. It will be available on the asset store within the next few days as its being reviewed right now.

20. neff11

neff11

well thx for the reply but im thinking yet about if we can use our own network, i was going to buy atavism but i see it 'll be in the asset store in few days

21. JamesPro

JamesPro

Neff, you can't add your own Networking to Atavism... The whole point of Atavism IS it's networking... The only reason there is a limit on the number of connected users is because that's their licensing choices. There is a Licensing Option to give you unlimited connected users ONLY limited by the hardware and amount of Hardware you run the Server on. Once they get it setup so you can host your world across multiple Servers then there will pretty much be no limit to the amount of users you can have connected with the right License.

22. neff11

neff11

it's not fair...

23. JamesPro

JamesPro

lol what's not fair?

24. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

Like 75% of the asset of this is to be able to create a MMO easier without as much programming if any besides changes you want to make and such. I assume by what I'm reading its designed more of a MMO Maker then anything. Because of the way it works and is designed the net coding etc is all built from the ground up...

That being said I'm sure you could easily add your own net code... But you would have to I assume edit 1000's of lines of source code just to remove and replace it. That and I think the server is compiled? That being said if your designing your own netcode you would also be making your own server anyways from scratch to handle the packets and such..

So there is no excuse really to be asking to do your own unless your just wanting to modify the max users that can connect. Then the good news is most people who buy this kit will never have more then a dozen players at one time.

I think it will be worth it once its released with the assets.

25. Kane C Hart

Kane C Hart

Thought I make a new post for this but I hope once its all released the asset pack not to crazy for the models/items and such. Do you think we could easily make new items, quests, mobs, levels, terrain, dungeons, etc without any programming? Is that sort of the goal with it? Or at least how basic it can be or will we need to learn C# or Java still?

26. cookimage

cookimage

The goal is to make it easy enough that you can make your own stuff with limited coding experience. The plugins is setup in that why that you basically use drop down choices to make new quests and so forth. That being said it has the option to code your own plugins as well. I'm not a programer so I always hammer on it that I need it simple enough that I can create new things myself and not wait for it to be coded.

27. neff11

neff11

i have 2k people registered in my forum where i post my mmorpg progress and more followers, if i wanna make a free game (non-comercial). in my case its not important how much people i'll have conected in my game, its importonat how much benefits i'll have (0 €)

28. JamesPro

JamesPro

The ONLY people who get access to the Assets are those that purchased the assets... Once the Assets are released they will no longer be available for purchase with Atavism. The Assets aren't a Packaged deal that comes standard with Atavism.

29. JamesPro

JamesPro

Just because you have 2,000 people on your forum doesn't mean you will have 2,000 people on your game all the time. Stats indicate that only about 10% of your active users are ever online at any one time. You always have spikes in traffic though during your busy times of the day and during special Events and stuff.

30. neff11

neff11

we 'll se that

31. MrMassively

MrMassively

100% agree with this,

these are proven stats confirmed by already existing and existed mmo games outhere. so take it as a true fact.

only 10% out of your active members may be online at any given time more or less. but you got to know and be realistic, "ACTIVE" members
    meaning:
    if you have a total registered 2000 members in your forum, and as everyone knows members come and go and automated bot signups are pretty much unavoidable, so lets assume you only have 100 really "ACTIVE" forum members , so pretty much 10% out of those active 100 members will or may be online at any given time,

meaning around 10 ccu ingame.

here is an example and a true fact since it is a forum i own and been running it since 2003,
    more than 10 years none stop by now, my forum stats indicate i have registered: Total members 498,085 including automated bots signups.
    while the true human registered members in my case is around 20%
    so pretty much around 100k real human signups, now that does not mean they are all active, a guestimate i may say around 10 % are active so around 10k may be active but does not mean they are online all the time,
    so around 10% out of those may be online, meaning around 1k may or may not be online at any given time.

results may vary but for my case this are facts.

32. neff11

neff11

dude i said i have more followers, lets see if i reach the max. conected in my game un pay my upgrade? if no dont talk about it

33. MrMassively

MrMassively

is it 12? Dude!!!

34. cookimage

cookimage

If you have the amount of players that exceeds your CCU max then you can easily upgrade to next level and have more CCU until you reach the unlimited Level.

35. Octo-Games

Octo-Games

hi,

i tried to sign up on your support forum but i don't work so i came here to tell you that i have some problem to login when i do the demo setup

in the console it say that mastertcpconnectfailure when i login and i got a popup wich say "unable to login"

i checked my router and my firewall all the port are open tcp and udp ...

i don't understand where is the problem...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  36. cookimage

cookimage

Send me a email to info@neojac.com and we can get it sorted for you. There are a few reasons this can happen. Also can you send me your server Log files to find the problem faster.

37. cookimage

cookimage

38. Octo-Games

Octo-Games

email sent

39. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

did you register an account?

40. neff11

neff11

i buy atavism at the end... and i got the same problem unable to login... i emailed logs.. and the solution not works...

41. taichiu727magnus

taichiu727magnus

are you sure you set it up correctly? like the databases and etc

42. neff11

neff11

did u can add me on skype for help? sule.tunkara1 i make everything

43. Moerk75

Moerk75

Hi Cookimage and Sooms.

I've got some technical questions concerning Atavism mostly about physics.

How many characters are you aiming for onscreen in combat at the same time?

How many lighting sources/effects are you aiming for supporting onscreen at one time?

Will texture resolution be scaleable based on lets say distance?

Can you give examples of what physics are done server-side and client-side? I mean are the server handling character movement and collision simulations?

And finally what can you tell us about support for SLI , Multi-screen, GPU core usage?

These are for different reasons very important questions so I hope you are able to give some clarification.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  44. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The one area I have some insight on (mainly because I kept asking about it a few months back) is server-side physics. Currently, server-side collision and movement is not in the engine. It is a feature that was put on a roadmap, but was constantly delayed.

Part of the blame was put on the fact that NeoJac added more "plugins" related to gameplay systems, but quite honestly, I wonder if at least part of the untold story is that there are issues with suddenly implementing server-side physics this far into development and crippling performance--not to mention what needs to be rewritten to make the server authoritative in those aspects.

45. radar089

radar089

i am curious about how the collision issue as well. don’t get me wrong i fully support atavism and am not here to flame anyone. but some light shed on the subject would be nice.

46. Moerk75

Moerk75

I fail to see how asking this very important question can be considered flaming. I would not ask questions if I did not support this project. This is however the most important question I need answered to continue supporting and eventually buy this product.

47. cookimage

cookimage

Please move all your questions to our main thread for answers as this thread is closed now for us as we want all to move to main one. And most of the current questions has already been answered there.

48. Moerk75

Moerk75

Link please :)

49. cookimage

cookimage

50. boco

boco

Quick question I have for you guys I'm working on a team here and we're using Atavism for the MMO portion. How do I instantiate scene items into the world? I was curious as I'm creating a custom script to allow admins to place objects into the world. I been trying to get my script working but not sure how Atavism handles scene object creation.