Search Unity

MMO Basic's

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by thechubbymonkey, Jan 9, 2015.

1. thechubbymonkey

thechubbymonkey

Hello. I have been wanting to make a 2 player game. Where you play on 2 different computers. I want to start with just 2 basic First Person Controllers. Does anyone know how to make it so someone can control one player and then the other person can control the other. I just want them to move, jump, and look around. Thanks so much if you can help. By the way I only have Unity Free, just to let you know.

2. 420BlazeIt

420BlazeIt

JavaScript or C#?

3. thechubbymonkey

thechubbymonkey

I have a few skills with JavaScript. So JavaScript it is.

4. JamesPro

JamesPro

You would have more options for networking with C# then you will have for JavaScript.

5. cariaga

cariaga

unity has a built in networking you can start from their but chances are if you want a dedicate networking you can get photon networking or smartfox networking.

go with c#

6. JamesPro

JamesPro

SmartFox would add Java to the mix because Server Side you would use Java... I would just go with Lidgren and use Headless Unity Servers.

7. Ibzy

Ibzy

I have recently started using Photon's PUN plugin from the asset store. There is a great tutorial for this by Unity on youtube (and probably in the live training archive) that got me up and running very quickly. The only problem it would have for you is the need to switch to C#.

8. JamesPro

JamesPro

The issue with Photon Unity Networking is that one of your Clients acts as the Server for the Game and so there is no official Server where you can do things to prevent hacking. Everything is done client side which is a HUGE security issue.

9. tobiass

tobiass

@JamesPro: You are right. However, in this case there are "a few skill with JavaScript" and a proper security approach might be out of reach in either case. Even if it really becomes a problem, things can be tackled with extra client checks in many cases.