Search Unity

MLH Tic-Hac-Noe (Local Hack Day, hackathon project)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by GregPDesUGD, Dec 5, 2016.

1. GregPDesUGD

GregPDesUGD

Yesterday, I participated in a mini-hackathon called Hack Lassonde, recognized as one of the events to be part of Local Hack Day organized by Major League Hacking and hosted by GitHub.

What I built is kind of like a tic-tac-toe game, with the exception that you need to get six in a row, column, or diagonal. You have 36 spaces, and each player can place two tokens for every turn. One player places orange cubes, while the other places blue capsules.

Play against a friend in person, as this is a two-person game.
    The game is available for play right here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/685264

This is where I made my submission for the hackathon: https://devpost.com/software/mlh-tic-hac-noe

I used Unity 5.4.0f3 to build the game with scaled primitive 3D meshes, primitive UI elements, and game logic within scripts. It took me around nine hours to do it, with the hardest part being figuring out how I'm going to respond to mouse clicks and not add up to the call stack even though this is a very small game with not that much execution as to a full-scale video game. Some techniques I used are object pooling, singleton design pattern, and a little bit of the principles behind the model-view-controller design pattern.

What really surprised me overall is how you can simply use OnMouseUp() as a mouse click listener for the spaces of the board rather than raycasting with physics involved. Regardless, I had to use invisible colliders to make them respond to the click and add indices to them in their script component so that when a click is made, it makes a token appear at the right location.

Any constructive criticism / feedback, comments, or complaints, are appreciated.

2. John3D

John3D

Very nice game and you made it in 9 hours! Great job!
    WOW!
    I wish I could do my games faster but my programming skills are very limited. :oops:

3. GregPDesUGD

GregPDesUGD