Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question [MLAPI v0.1.0] Unreliable LAN client/server connections using UNet Transport.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by gxp_mattias, Apr 28, 2022.

1. gxp_mattias

gxp_mattias

Hello all!

I'm currently experiencing a connectivity problem with the game that my organization is currently working on. The game is local multiplayer VR, and we've been using the UNet Transport package for our network transport underlying (what was once) MLAPI. The server is also a host which runs on a PC build, while the clients run on android (or PCVR) builds.

The problem is that on some wifi / router configurations, the clients are not always able to reliably connect to the host once the server is running. This happens randomly, but more often when multiple clients try to connect at the same time. It's still unclear what about these specific router / wifi configurations cause this to happen. I also assume its not firewall related, since this would result in consistent failure, instead of just unreliability.

Above is a photo of the package manifest for the MLAPI version we're using, if this helps at all.

I suppose my main question is whether or not there are specific considerations or requirements to take into mind when doing local lan connections like this.
    Subnet settings, firewall stuff, port accessibility stuff, router vs. repeater stuff, etc.

Thank you for your time and help in advance.