Search Unity

Mlapi Relevency

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Bonkahe, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Bonkahe

Bonkahe

I would like to ask around to see if anyone has done any research into this? In ue4's networking there is a system for relevancy, (ie users only receive updates for things nearby them, and when they go into a region they are updated with the state of objects in that region). If you look at this blog post: https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/12/0...gameobjects-multiplayer-networking-framework/ you can find about half of the way down this line:
    • Network relevance model: Sending the right data to each player enables developers to minimize their bandwidth costs and maximize players gameplay experiences. We’ll change MLAPI so new methods can be used to increase performance, lower the likelihood of cheating, and lower operating costs by lowering the amount of data sent.
    However this is the only location I can find any information on the subject, and it seems to be just a nebulous "we're working on it", now that being said I'm not adverse at all to simply doing it myself with a spatial hash grid, so is this something that I would need to build a new transport for?

Side note: I also remember there being some kind of roadmap/vote on what you would like them to develop next, but I was unable to find it when making this post, so if someone has a link to it and it contains something about this, that would be super helpful.

PutridEx likes this.
  2. JesOb

JesOb

3. Bonkahe

Bonkahe

Thank you very much! Yea I found it down at the bottom,

Interest management system:
    When you have players spread out across a large map, or your simulation data is very large -- it's good to have only relevant data be sent to your players. The Interest Management System would allow developers to configure network relevancy based on different criteria. This may be spatialization, dormancy, or property subscriptions.

Looks like it's just theory at this time, I'll probably have to build my own, thank you again.

4. luke-unity

luke-unity

It is nebolous on purpose. Frankly we don't known yet exactly how our visibility system will look like. We have already done some exploration but are nowhere near a point where we have have everything down on paper. We want something that can support a wide variety of use cases but also performs well and a lot of research and development will be needed to achieve that.

In the meantime if you want to build your own visibility system with a spatial hash grid you can do that by using the `NetworkShow` and `NetworkHide` functions provided by MLAPI.

5. Bonkahe

Bonkahe

This might just work without me having to do anything crazy complex, thank you for the tip!

To whoever may come after the page is https://mp-docs.dl.it.unity3d.com/docs/mlapi-api/MLAPI.NetworkObject/index.html and you can find what Luke recommended there, I'm probably gonna work in something on the server end with a check every few seconds to get the grid of the users and update their hidden or shown objects, thank you again!