Search Unity

MLAPI - HLAPI Replacement

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by TwoTen, Jan 5, 2018.

1. TwoTen

TwoTen

Only if the transport supports it. Most of the time this is achieved by using Unconnected messages in the transport. Ruffles for example supports this feature and I know other libraries does also.

2. Kreshi

Kreshi

i understand.
    is there any other way besides the beforehand mentioned method to achieve direct connections as a fallback with your MLAPI + MLAPI.Puncher librarys?

Also, i think there is a bug within the PuncherClient function ListenForPunches(...) since it doesn't achieve any connection to the host (not for me at least). The PuncherClient function ListenForSinglePunch(...) however works perfectly fine.

I have one, two more questions: Does the MLAPI library support Noble Connect out of the box? If yes, does it work only with UNET as the transport layer or with any transport layer?

Thank you.

3. TwoTen

TwoTen

I am pretty sure Noble Connect does not work with the MLAPI. But you have to speak with them about that.

If the puncher has a bug, file a GitHub issue. But it uses the same code internally.

As for the fallback, I don't quite follow. You can use my MLAPI.Relay if you don't want to use hole punching.

4. Kreshi

Kreshi

I submitted a GitHub issue on the matter. Some stuff went wrong with formatting and clicking the youtube link doesn't work (has to be copy-pasted to the browser addressbar).

I am perfectly fine with hole punching :). I was just thinking about a fallback in case the hole-punching server is down, so that at least people with open NATs can still directly connect to each other. Anyway, i just found a workaround to solve this requirement by catching an exception and executing direct connection from there :).

One more thing... You have done really really great work with the MLAPI! From all the different solutions i tested the last couple of days i liked yours the most. Keep up the good work!

TwoTen likes this.