Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ML-Agents Release 1 (April 30, 2020) - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by jeffrey_unity538, May 4, 2020.

1. jeffrey_unity538

jeffrey_unity538

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We are very excited to have released ML-Agents Release 1 on April 30, 2020. This is a huge release in so many ways, specifically that we are moving the C# and communicator to v1.0!

In the following days, we will be publishing a blog post on all the changes on ML-Agents Release 1 and what it means.

In the meantime, please refer to the release notes for ML-Agents Release 1 here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ml-agents/releases/tag/release_1

As usual, please follow our guidelines on where to open issues, bugs, discussion. All feedback welcome and thank you again for your support of ML-Agents.

Jeff

2. bobben

bobben

Come on, work hard

3. SSS135

SSS135

Hi,
    I am working with ML Agents for some time now. I like this project, it improved much since early versions. But I always end up modifying package's C# source code, throught not as much as I did before.
    For example, now I'm working on multi-goal reinforcement learning (goals are fixed actually, so there is just multiple rewards, one for each goal). I need to send multiple rewards to python side, so I've made a subclass of SideChannel. But there is a problem: I can't accurately synchronize these side rewards with main one without modifying C# package source. To solve this I modified Agent.SendInfoToBrain to call another function which generates and sends auxiliary rewards to python code.
    Before that, there was another problem, when I needed to disable ending of episode when agent's GameObject is deactivated. Also haven't found a way besides modifying C# source.
    Maybe these are just my specific problems and workaround isn't that bad, but I still decided to share.
    Keep up good work.

4. TransformsDante

TransformsDante

Congratulations! Thank you for your hard work, each release has attacked major pain points, and it's great to see the project reaching a stable point.

celion_unity likes this.
  5. deeznugglets

deeznugglets

Hey, I am having issues after the update to get Curriculum training to work...

from terminal:
    mlagents-learn ~/ml-agents/config/ppo/trainer_config.yaml --run-id=some_id-curriculum

I tried following the migration page on github but it still does not work:

Added this to trianer_config.yaml, instead of having it in seperate file:
    curriculum:
    measure: reward
    thresholds: [0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5]
    min_lesson_length: 100
    signal_smoothing: true
    parameters:
    add_obstacle: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]

Previously, my thresholds were at 0,9 for all of them and would reach the first after around 300k steps. Now it does not even seem to reach 0.1..

I use:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  stage = (int)Academy.Instance.EnvironmentParameters.GetWithDefault("add_obstacle", 0);
    to retrieve the values, and later have a switch statements that initiate different obstacle GameOcjects.

It worked perfectly fine before the update, but now it does not work at all.

6. jeffrey_unity538

jeffrey_unity538

Unity Technologies

Can you open up a Github issue with the above?

7. paypaytr

paypaytr

Since removal of notebooks ( which in my opinion sucks for beginners) I have updated all of my syntax for Rainbow DQN and made a repo about it.

If any starter looking to just jump to it & use as reference here's it. No PG /AC algorithm yet but I will add as soon as possible.

https://github.com/ugurkanates/MLAgents-Google-Collab

8. vu1can

vu1can

Installation instructions don't seem to work
    after flowing the directions from "Installation.md" in the Release1 branch Docs folder
    - created a separate conda env
    - cloned Release1 branch
    - "pip3 install mlagents"

>the command "mlagents-learn --help" reports "not recognized as an internal or external command"

DId I miss something?

9. vu1can

vu1can

humm.. worked second time. But, the config file has been changed. no PPO directory. looks like you have to specify "trainer_config.yaml" instead. Guess the user docs haven't caught up to release

10. ilaydanil

ilaydanil

Hi, currently I am working on a Space Shooter game and I created an agent for it. But whenever I try to build it gives this error:
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+BuildMethodException: 4 errors
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow+DefaultBuildMethods.BuildPlayer (UnityEditor.BuildPlayerOptions options) [0x002bb] in <17b72532ee2c4da1b6f632d3f1705fe0>:0
    at UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.CallBuildMethods (System.Boolean askForBuildLocation, UnityEditor.BuildOptions defaultBuildOptions) [0x00080] in <17b72532ee2c4da1b6f632d3f1705fe0>:0

here is my code
    [code=CSharp]using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    using Unity.MLAgents;

public class SpaceshipAI : Agent
    {

public static SpaceshipAI Instance;
    SpaceshipMovement movement;

public void OnEpisodeBeginFunction()
    {
    OnEpisodeBegin();
    }

private void Awake()
    {
    Instance = this;
    }

private void Start()
    {
    movement = GetComponent<SpaceshipMovement>();
    }

public override void OnActionReceived(float[] act)
    {
    Vector2 temp = new Vector2(act[0], act[1]);
    movement.movement = temp;

}

public void AddRewardFunction(float reward)
    {
    AddReward(reward);
    }

public void EndEpisodeFunction()
    {
    EndEpisode();
    }

}
    [/code]

11. asatrian

asatrian

I did not see the docs explaining the tensorflowsharp.. does it mean it was not supported ?

12. jeffrey_unity538

jeffrey_unity538

Unity Technologies

Correct, we no longer support TF# but support Barracuda inference instead.

13. asatrian

asatrian

I see thanks!

14. oleg_v

oleg_v

Thank you for great product!
    Can't catch whats happening with online_bc/offline_bc trainers. There is no any mention in migration logs nor in docs. Are their not supported anymore? Are there any alternatives via gail or behavioral_cloning?