Search Unity

ML Agents Google Colab Virtual Display

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by AntonOhammar, Feb 14, 2020.

1. AntonOhammar

AntonOhammar

Hi.

I have been trying to get my environment to run on google colab for a few days now. I am using visual observation and therefore can't use headless (which I have gotten to work). To get the visual observations to work I need the environment GUI to work. I can get it to work locally on a windows pc, but not on google colab. I have tried both X Server (which shouldn't work from what I understand?) and also xvfb (which should work).

I am using Unity 2019.2.18f1 and ML Agents 0.13.1 or 0.14.0 (not sure how I check). The build is exported to Linux.

All I get is: "The Unity environment took too long to respond."
    At line: 16 env = UnityEnv(env_name, worker_id=0, use_visual=True, uint8_visual=False)

I have gone through almost all results I can find on google and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any updated instructions that work for current releases and google colab?

The notebook I have so far:
    https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1ekFKrQ3vCmM4R4SzTjlWb06wMMxGSOjl

Thank you in advance.

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

We'll forward this to the team for you, @AntonOhammar - which version of C# & Python are you using?

3. AntonOhammar

AntonOhammar

Thank you so much. From what I can find I am using C# 7.3 and Python 3.7.0 on my local machine. On Google Colab they are using Python 3.6.9.

BR, Anton.

4. kvlm

kvlm

Hi @AntonOhammar
    I got the same error. Did you solve this problem?

5. AntonOhammar

AntonOhammar

Hi! No unfortunately not. I've tried many different tips, but can't get it to work.

6. vincentgao88

vincentgao88

Unity Technologies

Hi AntonOhammar, I think someone had already tried this and made it work. You can refer to here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ml-agents/issues/2684