Search Unity

Games MK1 VR Racing Demo for Oculus Quest

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by MK1_Dev, Jul 23, 2021.

1. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

New Logo - White on Black - 50pc.jpg
    Hi! I have just released a demo of my first VR app, MK1 VR Racing, to Itch.io and SideQuest.

https://mk1vrracing.itch.io/mk1-vr-racing

https://sidequestvr.com/app/4902/mk1-vr-racing

I would really appreciate any feedback, ideas etc. from fellow developers.

Also, the demo was developed on a Quest 2 device, so I would be interested to hear from those who have the original Quest headset regarding game responsiveness etc.

My intention is to create more tracks, cars etc. and eventually release as a paid game to AppLab, SideQuest and Itch.io, (depending on the response I get from the demo).

So please take a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  2. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Demo 1.1 now includes 2 new races amongst traffic!

Other updates include
    • improved car aerodynamics
    • less aggressive opponents
    • updated menus
    Cheers!

VRRacing_0007.png

3. Megalogue1

Megalogue1

Ooh, nice! I have the original headset--maybe I'll give it a download tomorrow, if I can remember how to get Sidequest working.

4. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

I would be very grateful if you could do that.

Cheers.

5. Megalogue1

Megalogue1

I played through one race. The game felt just fine in terms of responsiveness, with no frame rate changes that I could notice.

In fact, the thumbstick controls might be a bit too responsive. When I wanted to do gradual turns, I had to instead carefully twitch the thumbstick several times until I had "nudged" the car in the direction I wanted to go. If that makes sense. If there's a steering wheel mode (where you steer by moving the controllers in a circular motion) I didn't have a chance to try it.

6. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Thanks for that. I agree with the thumbstick responsiveness and will look into it. Regarding the steering wheel mode it's something I've been considering but haven't got around to yet. I'll take a look at implementing that. Cheers.

7. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

I have improved the steering responsiveness. This will be in the next update - which will be release in a couple of days and includes automatic and semi-automatic gear shifts. Cheers.

8. Megalogue1

Megalogue1

I just remembered something else. A few times during my race, my car's engine started making "intermittent" noises. It sounded the same as if I was pressing and releasing the accelerate button, even though I had the trigger down the whole time. I also seemed to slow down while this was happening.

Is there a feature where your car can get damaged and start malfunctioning? Or was something else going on here?

9. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

That's unusual - it sounds like the RPM limiter. But with the automatic gearbox it should only happen when the car is in top gear and the RPM goes above its limit. I haven't seen this before with the automatic gearbox - only with the upcoming semi-automatic gearbox when the player hasn't changed gear appropriately. Let me take a look and I'll let you know what I find. Cheers.

10. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

DEMO 1.2
    NEW FEATURES
    • Semi-Automatic gear shifting
      • Choose from Car Selection menu
    semi-automatic.png
      • Use left/right grip buttons to change gear
    race controls.png
    • Race records table
    records.png

ENHANCEMENTS

• Smoother steering – less jerky feeling when attempting smooth turns
    • Improved automatic gear shifting logic
    • Added gear change sounds
    • Update car gear ratios for more realistic feel
    FIXES
    • Fixed RPM cut-off not working for some cars

11. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

DEMO V1.3 sees the introduction of controller haptics and a new Settings menu in the Lobby.

Haptics have been added to all interactive menu items such buttons, toggles etc.
    • All wheel skids, suspension bumps and collisions now have the appropriate haptic feedback.

The Settings menu allows the player to turn off music during racing, and to reset their profile and replay the game.

2021-08-06 18_33_23-Window.jpg

If you have any ideas for further settings I would be very grateful to hear your suggestions.

There have been further tweaks to game aesthetics and code.

Cheers!

https://mk1vrracing.itch.io/mk1-vr-racing

https://sidequestvr.com/app/4902/mk1-vr-racing

12. Megalogue1

Megalogue1

Just the steering wheel style touch controls. I love that stuff. :)

Void Racer Extreme has this functionality if you need something to reference.

13. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Hi! Yep, I'm looking at it and will hopefully have this in a future update. Cheers!

14. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev

Demo 1.4 coming soon. Added virtual steering allowing the player to steer by moving the controllers. This along with using the grip buttons to manually change gear and racing in traffic is a pretty intense experience... Cheers!

15. MK1_Dev

MK1_Dev