Search Unity

Mixing Unity Versions and Multiple Projects

Discussion in 'Cache Server' started by Claytonious, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

Hello!

In the comments of this blog post, Stephen Palmer says this about hitting the same cache server instance from multiple projects on multiple Unity versions:

Why exactly is that? What goes wrong when you mix and match? What are the bad behaviours we would observe in practice?

And most importantly: isn't using the editor option of the "local" cache server a direct contradiction of this advice by definition? If you set the editor to "local" and then work on multiple projects in multiple Unity versions (with each of them set to "local") - aren't you violating this advice? Again - what side effects should come of this?

I ask mainly because one of my workstations is once again in a semi-crippled state where importing assets is taking hours and they are reimporting spontaneously very often - even after a fresh clone of the repository. So I'm once again preparing to disconnect from the "local" cache server to try to get this cleaned up.

Thanks for any guidance and advice that can be offered here.

roclau0102 likes this.
  2. cruelbob

cruelbob

How to specify cache server ip and port per project? This settings are shared between all projects.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You have to open the Unity editor via command-line, passing the proper cache server address.

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

a year and a quarter have passed. We are at the stage that you can provide command line arguments with a project in the Unity HUB. My question is:
    Will this already start additional cache servers? If not, how is the first one started that starts automatically with the first instance of Unity your launching? If not reproducible, is it possible to automate the startup of additional cache servers via command line arguments or the InitializeOnLoadAttribute?