Search Unity

Resolved Mixing button control with interactable

Discussion in 'AR' started by MrChrisAnt, Jul 2, 2021.

1. MrChrisAnt

MrChrisAnt

I’ve been trying for a few weeks to extend the functionality of the ARFoundation samples interaction scene (where you scan the floor, click somewhere and you can place an instance of a prefab then move, scale and rotate with touch gestures. I want to also be able to use button controls to further move and orientate either the object, or even just it’s first child. I have been unsuccessful so far. I have a setup that works with a normal instance but I don’t know how to pass the AR instance to my button/game manager which holds that code.

Same problem with the multi image tracking scene. I want to track and then use buttons to fine tune the placement relative to it hence why I’d consider moving the child node. Either way, I don’t seem to be able to access the placed instance through my button script.

Many thanks.

2. ACWesterberg

ACWesterberg

What i've done to solve the instancing, is I've given the prefab that I wish to place a tag. And that tag could be something like ARObject. In the code for button presses and such I use the FindGameObjectWithTag("ARObject"), and then GetComponent to use the code within scripts on that object.

MrChrisAnt likes this.
  3. MrChrisAnt

MrChrisAnt

Thank you so much. I’ll give that a go. I am currently putting all my button code into the same ARPlacmentInteractable script that I create the instance from. It’s a dirty hack and it’s not working yet but that’s probably me just not really being a developer. Thanks again - good idea!

4. MrChrisAnt

MrChrisAnt

ARScaleInteractable seemed to be overriding my secondary scaling of the instance as controlled by a button. I noticed that it momentarily jumped to the scale and immediately back. The hack I took to that was to just scale up the child of the instance instead of the instance itself. So the interactable scales the instance and the buttons scale a group under the instance. Horrible hack but it’s working for now.