Search Unity

mixing assets?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by super secret, Nov 9, 2015.

1. super secret

super secret

so I'm new, obviously, i just had a general question about assets.

how easy is it to mix multiple assets together? like a couple of the "kits" i was looking at had dialog scripts built in already, but i want to use the pixel crushers dialogue system.

is that something easy to do?

thanks.

2. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That is a good question that we all have to answer.

You should talk to @TonyLi who is the author of dialogue system. He can help you with a specific question about integrating his Dialogue System if you post in his forum section.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...ty-easy-conversations-quests-and-more.204752/

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks, @longroadhwy!

@super secret - It depends on the assets. By design, the Dialogue System for Unity places a high priority on interoperability with other assets. After all, dialogue is great, but it's not usually a game unto itself. It needs to work nicely with other gameplay assets. The Dialogue System provides a lot of hooks to communicate with other assets, and it doesn't take over any of Unity's major systems such as the input system or camera system unless you want it to. This makes it easy to write integration packages for other assets, of which there are a good number. You don't even need specific integration packages to do basic dialogue stuff, but they're handy if you want to really tie the assets together, such as giving and taking items from another kit's inventory system during conversations.

In general, the assets to be most aware of are Complete Projects. A Unity project has project settings files that define input buttons, physics collision layers, GameObject tags, etc. A Complete Project asset will overwrite your project settings files. Unfortunately, there's no built-in merge capability. If you import two Complete Project assets, you'll end up with the project settings from the most recently-imported one, and you'll have to manually add in whatever was lost from the first asset's settings.

Also look for integration information in the asset's description on the Asset Store. If the description doesn't mention integration, it's possible that the developer hasn't considered it in the design.

Devdog's Inventory Pro and all of Opsive's products are examples of excellent interoperability, as the long list of integrations in their product descriptions prove.

(BTW, although Opsive's Third Person Controller is a Complete Project, the developer added special menu items to automatically add missing project settings in case you import another Complete Project asset and overwrite the project settings. It's one of only a few assets I'm aware of this provide his handy feature.)