Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Mixed Reality Tracking on Quest Pro?

Discussion in 'XR Interaction Toolkit and Input' started by rmfoley92, Feb 7, 2023.

1. rmfoley92

rmfoley92

Hi All,

Currently developing a Mixed Reality application with Unity for Quest Pro utilising the Passthrough feature. We want to be able to track a real world object and apply a virtual object to it similar to how a Mobile MR app will track a QR code or AR Tag.

We've had success in producing a basic demo by changing the Left Controller model and tracking this, however this won't be practical for our final product.

We've explored the use of VIVE Trackers however it doesn't appear that Steam VR supports Passthrough enabled applications.

Does anyone know of any way to track an object in mixed reality on the Quest, either through use of a QR Code/tag, or a physical tracker like the VIVE 2.0/3.0?

2. Qleenie

Qleenie

AFAIK this is not easily possible. You could mix SteamVR and Quest, but this is a combersome setup using some extra open source tools to align the lighthouse coordinate system with Oculus system. In Quest itself, you don't have access to any camera data, this is not allowed due to security / data privacy reasons.

3. LeonTheisen

LeonTheisen

I know that they have a Meta Quest Developer section in the VR Expert Knowledge Base, maybe you find something there.

4. ericprovencher

ericprovencher

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately as the Quest's passthrough api is setup today, there's no way to access the camera feed to run any kind of CV on top, and there is no api exposed to detect QRs. I recommend going to Meta's VR forums and posting your feedback there if this is functionality you'd like to see in the future from them.

5. peterhou_dk

peterhou_dk

Does anyone know if this will change with the Quest 3? Now that they’re focusing on mixed reality, it would make a lot of sense to support some kind of object tracking.

6. emartino

emartino

Hello @peterhou_dk, I'm interested. Do you have any updates or news on this?

7. korsynx

korsynx

Hello, I'm trying to make a quest 3 mixed reality app that detects a known physical space or object, so that 2 headsets can automatically align the space.

I am not finding any way to detect a real-world location or object, if this isn't possible then i probably have to return the headset, can this be done??

8. unnanego

unnanego

You can use Shared Spatial Anchors https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unity/unity-shared-spatial-anchors-walkthrough/