Search Unity

Mixed Reality 250 - No session available for one HoloLens to join with another HoloLens hosting it

Discussion in 'VR' started by GregPD65356T, Apr 23, 2018.

1. GregPD65356T

GregPD65356T

This is the same question as this StackOverflow post right here, but with modified text to avoid spamming.

This week is my last week of a university internship I'm completing.

Earlier today, I worked through the Mixed Reality 250 tutorial. I'm stuck with trying to join a session one HoloLens headset is hosting through a client HoloLens headset, because the option widget in the UIContainer prefab that has info on the hosted session is not in the Available Sessions list.

I followed all of the necessary steps in the tutorial, including adding prefabs and so on. It does deploy successfully through USB, but not through Wi-Fi because of error code 0x8007274C.

However, someone pointed out in a post on the Windows Mixed Reality Developers Forum wrote, it doesn't matter how the app is deployed. The app itself determines how two or more HoloLens headsets will share holograms among one another.

These two HoloLens headsets are connected to the same network on Wi-Fi. On One HoloLens, after deploying the app by USB and starting it up [by selecting Start without Debugging in the Debug menu on Visual Studio 2017], I gaze over to the Start button, then I do an air tap gesture on that button to start a session. As expected, the demo hologram does show up in front of me, and when I do an air tap with the cursor on it, I can move it around with my gaze and see the spatial mapping triangles surrounding it.

On the other HoloLens, I deploy the app by USB and start it up by clicking on [Start without Debugging]. The app does load, except I don't see an option for the hosted session the other HoloLens is running in the Available Sessions list. Even the Join button underneath it has the text completely gray.

I don't understand why the session on the client HoloLens is not visible even if it's on the same network. My two workmates told me that it may have to do with the network itself, but I'm not exactly sure because there may be something that has to do with the HoloLens headsets themselves, or my laptop I'm trying to deploy the solution from. Someone told me further on that I may need a router, but I am not exactly sure on that.

I followed the steps of the setup as is.

Versions of Windows Holographic on both HoloLens headsets are 10.0.14393.2007 and 10.0.14393.448. I don't know if updating the versions would make a difference.

The end goal here is to see if following Mixed Reality 250 can be useful for a project under an NDA where we wanted to deploy it to the HoloLens and enable Spectator View.