Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixed mode light cast light straight through dynamic object

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by AndersMalmgren, Jul 21, 2017.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hey, we have a door thats a dynamic object you can interact with. The doorway and wall is static and thus baked (Shadowmask mode). The dynamic door does not block all light from the mixed mode point light

upload_2017-7-21_22-31-0.png

We are on 2017.1

2. Amitgp

Amitgp

I don't have time to run tests this time around but it looks like your door is higher up with a gap, so the light will get through under it. IF that isn't the case then, for now, I would suggest adding a unity plane in front, hide it and allow it to cast shadow thus blocking light from reaching another side.

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hi there.
    No, its like Unity belives this is the correct darkness of the shadow being cast, If I place a dynamic cube you can see it does not cast any shadow because unity things there is no light to cast, which is correct, but the darknesslevel is wrong.

upload_2017-7-25_11-58-31.png

Here with the door removed, and the cube casts a shadow

upload_2017-7-25_11-59-18.png

4. Amitgp

Amitgp

Is it because the mixed mode already baked the light and that is why there is light, have you tried re-baking it? And if you do, try the plane in front like I suggested. If possible, send me the files and I can have a quick look.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

No, the light was not baked while in baked mode, its in mixed mode, if I turn off the mixed light I get the correct shadow level. Any dynamic object, plane or cube etc gives the same result, the shadow is too bright

6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Hey, here is my settings

upload_2017-7-26_13-7-34.png

7. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

I tried a similar basic setup but couldn't observe the issue:
    MixedSpot.gif

Here is why I think you're encountering this problem: You have many mixed or realtime lights that affect dynamic objects. One of the light sources could be contributing additional lighting, thus increasing the brightness of your shadowmap. Make sure that you've something like this in your shadowmask debug view and I'm pretty sure about that but ensure that your light source behind the door is set to mixed as well

shadowmask.JPG

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Is that a point light? I use point lights. Anyway, there are 3 mixed mode lights in this entire scene plus the dir.light but its disable here becasue we are underground

Here is the shadow mask mode tells me nothing to be honest :D

upload_2017-7-27_14-32-21.png

9. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Well, I mean it's pretty clear why it's not working then :)

I was using a spotlight but changed it to point light and got the same result, something in relation to shadowmasks is not working obviously in your scene. Shadowmask mode shouldn't be completely black :/

10. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Maybe it's my ambient settings? Shouldn't the Realtime shadow use the same ambient settings? I will try some to repro in a smaller scene

11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Manged to reproduce in small scene, not as apperent with default ambient settings, but the bug is still there, will Pm you in a second

upload_2017-7-28_0-2-19.png

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Found the problem, its a property called strengh on the real time shadow, it was not set to 1.0 for some reason! :D

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

upload_2017-7-28_0-16-30.png

Much better :D

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Still not 100% though
    upload_2017-7-28_0-18-11.png

15. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

The section under the shadow looks correct but I assume you're referring to light leaks at the corners? Tweaking bias or normal bias didn't help?

No. Ambient lighting is realtime when you enable realtime GI. Otherwise you can see that Ambient Mode becomes "Baked" and it is baked into lightmaps. And in your lighting settings, I can see that realtime GI is disabled.