Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixed Mode Fixes and Lighting window preview 2: Mix Harder.

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by willgoldstone, Sep 9, 2016.

1. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

2. moure

moure

Thanks for the new build, is it based on 5.4.0f3 or 5.4.1?

3. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

It's based on 5.4.0f3

4. Geoffrey91

Geoffrey91

Hello,

Is there any way to build a Windows Standalone Executable using this experimental build?

5. Can-Baycay

Can-Baycay

I wonder too. Our development process depends heavily on building asset bundles and executables. Not being able to do these means we can only see static lighting on our maps but we are unable to experiment further in game.

Geoffrey91 likes this.
  6. mh114

mh114

Hey, any update on the progressive path tracing lightmapper build? It was to be released "very soon" about a month ago, just wondering what's the status currently.

7. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We have a build available in a closed advisory board. Like this work it is based on vanilla 5.4 so does not have the new new features discussed here. If you have time to try it out on your scenes please ping me and I can add you to the board. Alternatively, you can wait a little while longer for an open beta of the feature.

KRGraphics and mh114 like this.
  8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oh we would like to try, it. We are working on VR so hi quality lightmap is a must. Should i go to PM?

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Awesome, looking forward to preview 3: Mix with a vengeance :)

10. rubiez64

rubiez64

finally! great work!
    I noticed though that mixed light doesnt work with pointLight :(

11. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

@rubiez64 Can you give us more details? Which light mode are you using exactly? What doesn't seem to work?

12. rubiez64

rubiez64

Okay, so I managed to find out the problem.

My scene has a lot of lights and some of them do cast shadows, while others don't.
    Could it be limited to a number of lights per scene? if so, how can I make it so the lights around the character will cast shadows?

13. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

The shadowmask modes support up to 4 overlapping lights. Lights beyond that fall back to fully baked, so they won't be casting realtime shadows.

14. rubiez64

rubiez64

Okay, for now or forever?

And if forever, is there a way for me to control which lights cast shadows and which don't?

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You can switch lights to fully baked so that they don't cast shadows.

Read the pdf, it's pretty useful.

16. rubiez64

rubiez64

I meant to ask if there is a way to control which mixed lights cast shadows to toggle them around my character on
    run-time?

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

All of them (or whatever you have in your quality settings I guess), as long as more than 4 don't overlap in the same area.

18. Geoffrey91

Geoffrey91

So, really nothing on using this experimental build to make a windows exe? It would make my life much better, as I need to do some serious out-of-editor profiling.

19. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

Installation instructions for standalone support:

Windows
    1. Download https://oc.unity3d.com/index.php/s/XRGsSRir9HChdXj
    2. Create a new folder, e.g. c:\my_xp_unity
    3. Create a new subfolder named Editor, so it looks like c:\my_xp_unity\Editor
    4. Unzip the editor into this Editor folder
    5. Launch the standalone installer that you downloaded in 1. and point it to the folder you created, e.g. c:\my_xp_unity

Mac
    1. Download https://oc.unity3d.com/index.php/s/uHJ6UcQ5tAjiGHz
    2. Create a folder in Applications called Unity
    3. Unpack the editor into this folder
    4. Launch the standalone installer you downloaded in 1.
    5. After installation is complete you can rename the Unity folder again so that you can have multiple Unity installations side by side

Can-Baycay likes this.
  20. mh114

mh114

Forgot to reply, but I can wait for the public beta thanks.

21. djarcas

djarcas

I'd be ecstatic to get in on this; I'm currently looking at holding off shipping a game with 30+ baked levels, due to the sheer amount of iterative time taking to get it right, so pretty, pretty please stick me on that!

22. Erind

Erind

23. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

24. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is a good read... a lot of my levels wholly rely on GI to look as natural as possible...

25. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Will the next builds also solve the nagging problem of losing lightmap information in prefabs? I'm working on my levels and a lot of my lightmaps (set to precomputed GI because the baked maps look horrible) are gone completely... I had to set my reflection probes to custom and bake them that way...

Would be nice to fix this problem once and for all.

26. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

@KRGraphics Can you give us more details about that issue?

27. testure

testure

I know you guys hate giving dates, but any chance the mixed lighting improvements are coming in 5.5? we're really struggling with enlighten this past year and I've been staving off talk of "making the switch" at my studio. I demoed the improvements in the test build and people here seemed generally happy with it, but there's the question of when we'll be able to use it in production

Can-Baycay likes this.
  28. testure

testure

29. djarcas

djarcas

Seconded. The combination of the Progressive Lightmap Baking and the Mixed Mode lighting is pretty much vital to release a number of titles we've got going.

30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am using UFE to make a fighting game and the levels have to be done as a prefab... when I hit play in the editor in a blank scene, the level will launch but I lose all of the GI information... and honestly, it is nagging... I am not on the beta btw... this happens in Unity 5.4 and I hope this gets fixed.

31. Geoffrey91

Geoffrey91

Any chance I could have access to the progressive lightmapping preview as well? I am currently working on an approximated GI screen space method and I need to do comparisons with a 1 bounce solution.

32. mbbmbbmm

mbbmbbmm

Hi, I just want to say thank you, the new mixed lighting is really nice! Especially the distance shadow map mode makes me happy. I am looking forward to the progressive lightmapper as well!
    Oh and also I was wondering in the first thread about the new mixed mode there was a link to an explanatory video, but that seems to be gone. Could you provide a working link or upload it again?

33. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

34. uy3d

uy3d

Unity Technologies

@testure While not giving any specific date, what we can say is that it won't be part of 5.5. The roadmap now also lists Lighting Modes in the experimental previews section.

35. gecko

gecko

What does that mean? It won't be integrated into a main release until some unknown time in the future? So...we can't plan on using it for multi-platform releases in the near or mid-future? So, we should pretend it still doesn't exist at all, for current projects?

36. testure

testure

yup. so the only real solution in Unity 5 is still 100% dynamic or 100% baked.

37. shuao23

shuao23

Is there going to be some sort of support for baking in non static objects? I have a game with a very large space ship and the interior is all static(fixed) relative to the ship. It make sense to bake the lighting in the ships (precomputed GI, fully baked, etc..)

I dont know if this is the right place to ask but it would be nice to be able to override the static tick mark somehow.

38. Dhialub

Dhialub

You can check the "Lightmap static" option without the others.

39. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

When is the next preview scheduled for?

40. RDeluxe

RDeluxe

Downloading the build right now. However not having any information about when you plan to integrate it in Unity makes it hard to use in production (and we desperately need mixed lighting)

41. JonDadley

JonDadley

None of the download links seem to be working for me now (ownCloud is saying 'file not found'). Any chance we could get them re-uploaded?

42. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Maybe there's new version coming up

43. djarcas

djarcas

Indeed, very much this. The incremental lighting bake preview is *absolutely incredible*, but I can't imagine anything but the lowest spec mobile games having purely baked lighting these days.

Even if the answer is 'not for another 6 months', an indication would be extremely useful. Pretty please?

44. Jesper-Mortensen

Jesper-Mortensen

Unity Technologies

We are pushing hard to get Mixed Lighting and the Progressive Lightmapper out to you guys. However, we want to ship stable and polished features. So it is *not* coming in 5.5 - that release window closed a while ago. And since we don't ship features in patch releases the earliest we can hope for is 5.6 or later. We will keep you posted on any developments.

tatoforever, AaronC and Lex4art like this.
  45. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

I don't like this. Is there a way to get the progressive lightmapper separately before 5.6? Enlighten is killing me.

TechDeveloper likes this.
  46. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hey guys,
    Have been following the first preview and second preview of this new Mixed Mode and I want to know if it somehow suits our pseudo-dynamic workflow. Here's what we got:
    1 - We have a custom forward renderer that does up to 20 lights in one pass, with 4 of them casting a blend of dynamic and pre-baked shadows (I'll explain a bit about it down below).
    2 - Every scenes in our project consist of mostly indoor lighting and we want to avoid lightmap baking at all cost.
    3 - Obviously, DistantShadows doesn't work for us as we need to see dynamic shadows from characters on distant lights every time.
    We don't really need static shadows on dynamic characters (even if that is possible with the new mixed mode) but what we really need is to use dynamic lighting with static baked shadows + dynamic shadows casted by dynamic geometry. Soft of pre-baked light depthmaps for static geometry (decode it onto shadows on static geometry and multiply that by the decoded dynamic shadows). Dynamic characters will directly use the dynamic depthmaps for self-shadowing.
    Basically, this is what we do on our custom renderer but in a rigid limited way and artists are screaming in blood and pain right now. :D
    Again, we don't want static light from lightmaps, we want dynamic lights with static shadows from static geometry and dynamic shadows from dynamic geometry. Is this something we can achieve with the new Mixed Mode? If so, then hell yeah you guys rocks! If not, then you guys rocks either way! :)
    [EDIT] Upon browsing the provided documents and threads, looks like Shadowmaks will somehow solve our needs. Only thing left to know is how long does it takes to bake a shadowmasked scene only vs a full lightmapped & shadowed scene? Approximately how fast in % is one vs the other?

About the Subtractive mode. Is there a way to override the dominant light position and projection, so we can have kinda UE3 interpolated-like shadows for dynamic objects? Back in the days, that's how UE3 was doing shadows on every AAA game that was shipped with and it worked really well. You could have 20 lights in a scene, only the most dominant of every light type will cast shadows and the engine handled the interpolation between lights positions itself.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  47. xDavidLeon

xDavidLeon

Hey guys,
    I've been checking out the preview build and it looks impressive, congrats!
    I've got one concern though, my games use a Built-in shader modification for Deferred to get cel shading. I also modify the LamberTerm equation in UnityStandardBRDF.cginc. If I load my custom built-in shader in GraphicSettings all the mixed mode goodness breaks. Can you share your built-in shaders .zip so that I can try adapting my shaders to it? On an unrelated note.. any news about support for PS4 (even as a preview build)?.

Cheers!

48. tatoforever

tatoforever

You should be able to access those files inside "Editor/Data/CGIncludes" on the Mixed Lights Preview Build folder.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  49. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

Hi xDavidLeon,

Unfortunately, there will not be a PS4 player available with this preview build. Currently, code is being pushed to trunk with a view to being included in a near future release, depending on the quality will see which release it makes it in, obviously excluding 5.5 here as this is already out of scope. Post 5.5.

Thanks,
    Chris

tatoforever likes this.
  50. xDavidLeon

xDavidLeon

I understand completely. The new lighting window is self-explanatory and the distance shadowmask would be the perfect solution for our games (lightmap for everything, but realtime shadows for nearby objects/characters).

Will this new pipeline work with progressive lightmaps in the future?