Search Unity

Question Mixamo walking animations have a slight lateral bias

Discussion in 'Animation' started by trzy, Feb 21, 2023.

1. trzy

trzy

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to properly animate a character using a blend tree and have downloaded a series of simple animations from Mixamo (walk, left strafe, right strafe, etc.). I'm using root motion and have set each animation to use a humanoid rig, enabled loop time (I don't enable loop pose because it seems unnecessary), bake root transform rotation, bake root transform Y position.

However, when in the forward walking state (and whether I have a 1D or 2D blend tree), there is a pretty clear leftward bias to the walking animations. I've tried many of them and they all have this problem. I can see the character's x position decrease as it walks.

Interestingly, with a 1D blend tree, if I create a "walk backwards" state using the forward walking animation with a time scale of -1, both forward and backward walking will not alter the rotation, although the translation along x remains because it is part of the xz root transform motion. With a 2D blend tree, the forward state will *not* rotate (although the character does still translate along x), but the backward state will have varying rotation (meaning the rotation from root motion is being applied rather than baked).

So my questions are:

1. Is the source of this x bias a part of the animation itself or a solvable import problem?
    2. Why does baking root transform rotation seemingly have no effect in *certain* states of the 2D blend tree? This seems like an outright bug (Unity 2021.3.14f1).

Thanks,

Bart

2. granradomyr

granradomyr

Hi,

I'm not using blend tree, but for me the solution was in the animation settings, Root Transform Rotation, set "Based Upon" parameter to Original.