Search Unity

Mixamo > Unity does not import any textures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jermerqua03, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jermerqua03

jermerqua03

I am using Fuse>Miximao>Unity pipeline. I download as "unity FBX" even just "FBX" and no material folder is created as part of the download and as soon as I import the FBX file no textures are applied to it. Just a gray solid model.

Create a model in Fuse > Save to Miximo > Click finish and accept rig > Select Download and choose "Unity FBX" > Drag and drop in unity project... Flat Gray. Boo!

2. AdamTegkelidis

AdamTegkelidis

Hey @jermerqua03

I am using the free version of Unity and so far, not matter how many FBX files I have imported (from 3ds max), no texture or material folders have been created.

Did you find any solution to this?

Best,

Adam.

StephanWeber likes this.
  3. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

When you import a model, select it in the project pane, open the Materials tab in the inspector 'Import Settings' pane, select 'Use External Materials (Legacy)' and click apply. Once done, you can set the location option back to 'Use Embedded Materials'.

Let us know if this helps.

4. AdamTegkelidis

AdamTegkelidis

Hello @Vectorbox !

Thank you for the reply. I tried what you suggested but unfortunately, nothing changed.

I feel that it is an issue coming mostly from Autodesk and the fact that they haven't made able to translate Arnold Materials (the in-build render engine) to be exported when saving as FBX.

Again, many thanks,

A.

5. Syriph

Syriph

6. Inxentas

Inxentas

While the solution works, there is another thing that doesn't work, and you end up with this:

https://answers.unity.com/questions/1596321/how-to-fix-texture-and-materiel-import-on-characte.html

There's a fix for it: make all materials Opaque except the hair, which may use Fade. This will ruin any details such as eyelashes as the textures provided are not Unity-ready in the slightest. I found topics regarding this issue as old as 2015 and knowing Adobe's track record, don't ever count on them fixing it for you. There might be shaders around you can use to get around the opacity issues in details such as eyelashes.

I found a topic about how to mix the provided textures into something resembling the intended look with Photoshop yesterday, but I can't find it as quickly. As soon as I have found it again I'll post it here.

7. Inxentas

Inxentas

Over at Steam someone linked a shader for hair and eyelashes. I never got it to work properly but maybe you have more succes with it. You might be better off using a model from another source and retargetting the Mixamo animations.

P_Jong likes this.
  8. tree_arb

tree_arb

I have been using mixamo characters successfully.

Download T-Pose "fbx for unity" from mixamo (materials missing)
    Download. Dae of the same T pose.

Import the dae's materials folder only, to unity (or is it called textures I forget)
    Then import the fbx.
    Agree to the pop up asking to map them together.

Now it works.
    In my case, i swap this character with the standard assets 3rdperson character.

In order to then apply miximo animations, I download mixamo animation "fbx without skin"
    Import to unity.

Set rig to humanoid.
    But you must also then copy avatar from, and use the Tpose avatar.

If you select create from this model, on the mixamo animation clip.. It will have a broken leg. Lol.

Otherwise what I said is working great for me

ZingZangGames, zomvr and gtvx like this.
  9. Inxentas

Inxentas

Wait... Unity is asking you to merge textures and you're using DAE files? I've been using FBX files and Unity only asks if I wish to properly import normal maps. I use the same technique in terms of using a T-pose to play nice with Unity's avatar creation, but have been working with FBX files... I went to Mixamo to download a DAE version of my model.

Same issues. I did not get a popup to merge the textures together. It's the same old transparency issue, the only exception is that importing a DAE file will automaticly extract the texture files. You can still extract the materials and modify them by applying said textures, but they will just have 1 diffuse texture and the other 4 (gloss, specular, normal, opacity) must be added by hand. It never looks right and so far the best fix I've found online is to hack it all together using Photoshop and some external shaders intended for mobile.

Ergo, things like eyelashes, eyeballs, and composite material clothing still look terrible. I'd say Mixamo is only usefull for prototyping and retargetting animation as all the information on importing and hacking together the textures you'll find online is from the 2014-2016 period. Smells like Adobe abandonware to me.

Called it.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/fuse...ends-development-on-fuse/td-p/10617817?page=1

10. tree_arb

tree_arb

First...im SUPER new so be aware of that.

To make sure were on the same page, the issue were talking about is the miximo characer fbx have missing or no textures right?
    (I assume Fuse to mixamo would be the same thing)

I download the DAE file from mixamo in T pose. unzip it, and import *only the textures folder to unity
    Then Download the "fbx for unity" in T pose and import that to unity in the same folder as the texture folder sits

there should be a pop about normal maps (if you imported them in this order) click yes.

The Character should be properly skinned now.

then future animations I download without skin and they apply properly..if you point to that original T pose as the avatar

11. Inxentas

Inxentas

I may have hijacked the original question a bit. Should OP succeed in making his textures appear, there will be additional caveats regarding the Fuse > Mixamo > Unity pipeline. The issue is that once you figure out how to apply those textures, you still end up with your eyelashes and other transparent parts looking like this:

http://i.imgur.com/1vaShI9.png

The character also has matte eyes. You can tell the materials are wonky at closer inspection. Perhaps the characters you can pull from Mixamo itself don't have any transparency applied anywhere. People on Steam were hacking together special shaders for this pipeline back in 2014:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/257400/discussions/0/630800443395998303/

I found a topic yesterday that went in great detail about the how and why of this issue, which came down to the textures in the Fuse > Mixamo > pipeline simply not being the right ones for Unity. Or for Unreal. The author proposed a technique that involved combining the layers in Photoshop, which would end up looking usable as long as you could live with matte eyeballs. It was still a time consuming hack. I found that page again, by the way:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/fuse...n-quot-fbx-for-unity-quot/td-p/7948222?page=1

As you can see it's from 2015 / 2016.

As it happens I have been delving in this issue quite extensively the last few days because I reckoned Fuse would be a nice way to populate a game with NPCs relatively fast, only to discover the whole pipeline is some Adobe experiment that is about to be axed. On top of that the technical mismatch in texturing technique make pumping out as much characters as you can before the hammer drops an exercise in futility. Best to cut OP's enthousiasm short before his beard is as grey as mine :p

12. tree_arb

tree_arb

Yeah the premade mixamo characters look pretty good, but I hadn't done the fuse route *yet* that's disappointing.

I don't think its much of an Adobe experiment... I think they just bought them out and squashed it for whatever reason. That sucks.

Someone here was commenting on "make human" its new to me but looks similar to fuse

13. Inxentas

Inxentas

I tend to be a tad cynical about Adobe, since it's not the first time stuff like this happens.

I too have been experimenting with MakeHuman but I had little time to delve deep into it. There's a plugin for a MakeHuman > Blender > Unity pipeline but I have not been able to set it up right (the plugin keeps telling me to upgrade Blender to the version I am already running). So I have not been able to retarget animations from Mixamo yet.

Sticking a Fuse / Mixamo rig in Blender and blobbing it with metaballs does work, so maybe I am going to make a game about fungus people instead :D

14. tree_arb

tree_arb

Hey, you don't have to tell me about Adobe! I'm just getting started with unity coming from abandoned Adobe Air!

Luckily on day one I realized unity is not even comparable at all. It's infinitely better than what I was doing with Air

15. Inxentas

Inxentas

Oh boy do I understand your pain. I love(d) AS3 as a language and back in the day Flash was still well supported it was fun tinkering with all the frameworks. We were pushing perlin noise into meshes when the HTML5 / JS guys were still struggling with rounded corners. Unity and C# have some "coming to terms with" for me, but as a platform at least you can deploy some stuff people can actually play on their devices.

I'm no Unity veteran either by the way, I started learning last month.

16. Inxentas

Inxentas

By the way, I've been looking into this further using models from various sources. A model I got from the Asset Store has the exact same "eyelashes" transparancy issues, but uses post-processing and it's own shader. I haven't been able to set up any render tests, but I hope to do so this week. I've been a bit too busy with other parts of my game and it's not really my expertise.

Non-Fuse characters from Mixamo seemingly have no transparent parts at all, meaning that post-import you can simply use the sliders in their material for finetuning... but it will apply to the single mesh the model consist of. This is different from Fuse, where you can apply whole materials to individual parts of clothing.

You only get 1 material in Unity for each "part" (top, bottom, skin, hair etc) where the Fuse model consists of multiple meshes per clothing item. So there's some simplification going on between Fuse and Mixamo in regards to meshes and how they are textured. Example: I have a Fuse character with a matte shirt and a reflective jacket. Mixamo will treat it as a single "top" mesh with a single material. It looks off in Mixamo and naturally it looks off in Unity.

Same reasons eyeballs are always matte. They are part of the body mesh, which has only one material. Ironicly enough the eyelashes are on a seperate mesh. If I ever find a way to get those working, I'll let you know. The one model I have from the Asset Store ("Steamgirl") is really cool and I have some motivation to get models working in closeups. Even though my current game uses a zoomed out top down view, I would like the option of zooming in further so the player can see the details of the model / world.

tree_arb likes this.
  17. Inxentas

Inxentas

Work was slow today so I managed to slap together a little test. I started up a 3D project with extra's so it automaticly includes the Post Processing stack. I placed the Steamgirl asset and a Mixamo asset on the Scene and brought the camera closer to their face. I first took screenshots without any tinkering to either models materials / textures.

At first they both look completely opaque, which is not what we want:

Default Steamgirl: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MV5rLrCjc9Betjm18hPOU5sseRec92oh
    Default Mixamo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GUvzj8UGiUe8f6PQnEZkOmlKY1mz841i

I went into their materials and changed the eyelashes material to "fade" and "curout", and then applies the shader that came with the Steamgirl model. This looks reasonable on this model. Disregard the green smudge, it's some weird eyeshadow in the texture itself and not important for this test.

Fade on Steamgirl model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QD6HPwaFNOJv-es-9H61EmEjFlYYoT3D
    Cutout on Steamgirl model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cY_oUljh8gG6iqIXA_t-vXrTUIg2OMZ1

Now I tried the same shader on the Mixamo model with Fade and Cutout settings. That didn't work and looked the same as a standard shader. You can make the shape a little more visible by applying 0.5 smoothness. It then looks like this, so we KNOW those lashes are somewhere buried inside the texture.

Smoothness applied on Mixamo model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nRxKJQhMNSH2HkdeIECOpd6N_1W5o6Jw

So I went into the materials to see if they had different settings elsewhere. They were identical save for some emission on the Steamgirl model, and obviously different texture files. So I checked how those two differ. SteamGirl uses a TGA file where Mixamo uses PNG files. Both support transparency. I tried locating the eyelashes within those textures to look for differences, but couldn't really detect which part of the diffuse textures are supposed to be the eyelashes on the Steamgirl model.

The Mixamo model uses a black square, which lines up with the Opacity texture. That Opacity texture is not used by Unity.

My best guess is that the difference between the two is indeed in the texture itself. Where Steamgirl comes with a special shader and PostProcessing requirements (not to mention seperate eyeballs), Mixamo models come with none of these things since they don't need them... with the exception of detailed models coming from Fuse. Since Fuse is losing support this month I guess there never was much reason for Adobe to spend resources on keeping this pipeline in sync with the way Unity handles materials / textures / shaders.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  18. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Fuse can export textures locally to your hdd. There are several options, but you just have to try them to see what maps are included in each (some have seperate opacity maps, some pack that into the alpha channel on the diffuse).
    The textures that download from Mixamo are wrong for everyone.

19. Inxentas

Inxentas

Thank you! Perhaps these can be used to privide better textures (the ones coming from Mixamo are obviously smaller and less detailed).

I also figured out a quick hack to fix this. If you open up the diffuse texture and the opacity texture, you can see the eyelashes are taken from that black square in the middle. It lines up perfectly with the opacity texture.
    • Make the black square transparent and save this as a seperate file.
    • Invert the colors in the opacity file and make all white pixels transparent. You should be left with just the shape of the eyelashes in black pixels.
    • Paste this shape into the new diffuse texture. Now you should see your eyelashes, colored black, sit in a transparent square.
    Use this texture for the eyelashes. Below my results. I should tell you I did not cleanly reproduce the eyelashes in this example, I hastily scribbled a few black lines instead because I am lazy and bad with Photoshop.

That doesn't take away from the technicalities, it just explains why the next image still doesn't look super. It just serves to illustrate the point that instead of using a seperate file for opacity, we can make the black square transparent and draw back the pixels we need for our eyelashes.

This works for Standard shaders as well, you won't need a seperate shader. Just remember to use either Fade or Cutout on the Eyelashes mesh, and Opaque on the body mesh. It does not fix any of the clothing / eyeball issues discussed earlier, just the eyelashes.

Semi-fixed eyelashes on Mixamo model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Uvof26flxMh03wQIEqQ4TnsjPf2RLCxm

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  20. Zanzikahn

Zanzikahn

Thank you so much!

Vectorbox likes this.
  21. mekgel80

mekgel80

This is the answer: import your fbx into your unity project, then click on the materials pane in the import settings pane and where it says use embedded materials, change it to use external materials and hit apply. Then a few things should be imported into your project and click on the folder with the name of your fbx on it. After that drag the fbx into the scene view, click on it and drag the texture you want on the fbx model

22. htsp

htsp

This worked! Thank you so much

Vectorbox likes this.
  23. SD2000000

SD2000000

Thank you for this suggestion. I had the same problem and tried your fix. It worked! I am very grateful.

Vectorbox likes this.
  24. Jenkinzzz

Jenkinzzz

Worked, thanks

Vectorbox likes this.
  25. Mitch_Heinsenberg

Mitch_Heinsenberg

I used Materials... Material Creation Mode Standard (Legacy)... Location Use External Materials (Legacy)

After a little processing time, all of the textures were assigned correctly.
    At first, I was getting the pink textures when trying to import the Maximo character.

Vectorbox likes this.
  26. ulthien

ulthien

My trick is at the end (if you have a char that has "inverted" teeth and eyes, to replace the body material with a non transparentskin one. This helps by some chars, others have a concave clothing pieces etc eh eh

27. nas121

nas121

thank you!

28. beez-dev

beez-dev

This video might help some future learners:

mclabssgp likes this.
  29. hichemfantar2049

hichemfantar2049

All you have to do is extract the textures and materials from the fbx:
    upload_2022-1-30_4-7-57.png

akeemovic likes this.
  30. drgavin

drgavin

This worked for me as well, thanks Vector

Vectorbox likes this.
  31. htommorow

htommorow

Thx,it worked for me!

Vectorbox likes this.
  32. Itachi28Uchiha

Itachi28Uchiha

Thanks it helped for me

Vectorbox likes this.
  33. Muhammad_Sannan

Muhammad_Sannan

That worked for me as well

Vectorbox likes this.
  34. yesseruseryt

yesseruseryt

@Inxentas, this has been done automatically in the Unity Editor 2021.3.12f1, at least for me, after doing what @Vectorbox said. Also, the "Fade" has been renamed to Transparent in my version of Unity, at least that's what I think since I couldn't find it in the same dropdown as the Opaque setting. It has been automatically changed to Transparent.

35. Inxentas

Inxentas

Quite possible. I think my reply is older then that version of Unity ;)

36. ZenOwl

ZenOwl

2023-Fixed
    1. I downloaded FBX character AJ in "happy idle" pose (with skin, with animation, 30fps) from Mixamo
    2. I imported into my assets folder in Unity (regular right click, import asset), chose max 8 bones, chose humanoid.
    3. He was not "textured" he was gray/no materials were showing so I dragged the 4 texture/material files (the ones with color that show up in the folder outside the actual FBX file labeled facial, diffuse, normal and spec) onto my player in the left scene sidebar.
    Result: Looked perfect, just had to move the light! The animation worked as well once I added an animator.

Side note: I found the four separate jpg material files (facial, diffuse, normal, spec) in a previous attempt at working on this character--I don't remember how I got these...perhaps from downloading the COL or DAE file? I think you can pull from layers if you open in PS or Blender.

37. Inxentas

Inxentas

Not sure about COL or DAE but FBX can have the materials/textures embedded. And Unity has an option to extract or remap these. So I would assume you've extracted the materials some time earlier. I always had issues with texture import settings not always being optimal: when I import something from Mixamo, all of the materials would be set to Opaque... including stuff that should be Transparent, such as eyebrows. It's often just a matter of exporting the materials and cleaning up the import settings.

38. ramonjlongiii

ramonjlongiii

This still works in 2024. For context, I'm tinkering with UFE2.

39. O997udan

O997udan

Yep still does