Search Unity

Mixamo - SpacePirate Contest WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by the_motionblur, Apr 20, 2012.

1. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

So I've noticed that there's a contest, too. Ah well - I still have about a week to go *cough*. :eek:

Seeing as there are quite a few really good entries so far I don't get my hopes up too high as I am not really a seasoned realistic character artist (more of an environment guy and 3D techical generalist). Still I want this to be good - so here's the concept I've made last weekend. I hope I'll still find the time to finish this one.

Any feedback appretiated :)

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

I like the militant-space-punk feel of it, and the crude looking robot arm (especially the hand). Not sure about the combat boots and knee pads - but maybe they'll look better in 3D. The face markings, and the tech on the human arm are a nice touch too. Maybe she could have some on the side/back of the bald part of her head :)

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm not yet sure what to do with the design of the hand. :D

For the tech part. I think I'll put some more of those tech-y things on her. I have an idea but don't know how it will play out, yet. We'll see. As much as I like the general direction of the concept I'm not TOO attached to most of the details so I might rework one thing or another as I go.
    The little knob on her head is actually a tech part as well but I sloppily colored over it. So - it's not a tattoo. ;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. NomadKing

NomadKing

Depends how 'mean' you want her to look, but you could forgot the hand and go with a Gun or Blade based arm (Blade would be more piratey!). A lot of the entries I've seen for this contest look a little bit like rogue-ish anti-heroes (Hans Solo like) so it might be a nice change to see a truly evil and violent looking real pirate ;)

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Some sort of Samus Aran arm cannon would have been my stab at it but a blade could be pretty cool as well.

Anyways - here's the sculpt of the body so far. Legs won't be visible anyways so I'll spare these and jump right to the boots. I hate modeling feet :D
    I'll improve on the hands a little and then it's time to retopo.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

the arms are too long and for my taste she has a bit too much muscles.

7. NomadKing

NomadKing

Why not combo them and have a big gun with a large blade underneath (like a really big bayonet). That could be pretty cool :)

Clearly she works out :p

8. Origin

Origin

The ears are way to big, I think they are supposed to be from brow ridge to bottom of nose. The arms are to long, tip of finger should reach to about mid thigh, and I think you should bring the shoulders up a bit. And the lower legs look like they are to thin, width wise.

9. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I've reworked the ears as well as the hands and forearms. Model retopologized and starting with the clothes now.
    I like the idea witht the sort of gunblade arm. Let's see what I can make out of this.

Here's the current status:

Attached Files:

10. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looking good, the cyborg spine is a nice touch :)

11. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Thank you :)

One more update for today.
    The belt and one glove are still to go and then I can tackle the mechanical arm.

12. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I've reworked the shoulders and also shortened the lower arm length a bit. Since I'm really really running out of time it will probably have to do how it is now. I'll post the sculpt later on.

For now I've finally moved on to the arm.
    Here's the concept, and part sculpt with a paint over for the hand:

13. NomadKing

NomadKing

I suppose having a hand might make using a knife and fork a little easier ;)

The concept looks nice, I like the way you've split the plates up on the armor and the cable in the elbow joint is a nice touch!

14. Mixamo

Mixamo

Wow, this is coming along! Keep it up!

So many great artists entering!

15. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@NomadKing: Yes. I like the idea of a gunblade really much but it would unfortunately require more time than I have left.
    I see that I need practise in character modeling anyways. So maybe I'll do another one after this one is finished. Then with a gunblade and/or other nice gadets. :)

@Mixamo3DAnimation: Thank you. And of course I'll try to keep up after all I really want that Unity Pro license. ;)
    There's really strong competition but not trying is the safest way to failure ^^

16. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Indeed!!

Its looking great so far good luck on making deadline.

17. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Nearly finished the model. I'll only do the hand and the belt and the go over to topo and texturing.

Damnit - finishing that will really be a close one!

18. stefano001

stefano001

oh man, this model looks amazing, can't wait to see the finished result!

19. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Here we go. I'm running out of time so badly ....
    Retopology done and maps are baked. This screenshot is directly from within Unity with nothing more than the normals and an AO in the color channel.

I wish I had seen this contest earlier. I've learned a lot already, though.

So let's wrap this thing up, tomorrow. Is there a time of day deadline as well or simply "before tomorrow ends" (which I'll hope).

@stefano001:
    Thank you very much :)

20. Mixamo

Mixamo

Great news, the Contest has been extended based on contestants requesting more time. We've agreed to end the contest by one week.

The new END DATE is MAY 4th @ 11:59PM PST

If you have already submitted feel free to refine the entry and resubmit! Otherwise, we'll see you at the end of the contest!

21. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome - that'll give me the time to work over the hair once more and also have a few days to let the texture work rest and maybe go over one or two areas I would have wanted to have more detail in already.
    Thank you guys :)

22. Mixamo

Mixamo

Your welcome glad this could help you!

23. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Working on the texture ...

PS - please don't kille me for using Marmoset for the screens, ATM. It's just more convenient than fumbling together my own shaders, right now.

24. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Specular map to go and then posing .... the extended deadline was worth it, I think. :)

25. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks good :) My one criticism would be the the green combat pants - I'm not sure they work so well with the space theme. Maybe urban camo would work better?

26. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

looking good , love the red eye! I will say from the side view the ear looks a bit low but not a train smash.

27. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Finished!!!! w00t! \o/

@NomadKing: Done. :)
    @tictox: thanks

28. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks sinister and sexy! Great job motionblur :)

29. win XD

win XD

you got a nice piece! congrats!

30. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@NomadKing: Thank you. And thanks for all the suggestions over the last few days. It really helped :)
    @win XD: Wow thank you. I just checked your portfolio - some pretty sweet stuff there. :)

31. thegreyman1

thegreyman1

This game scared the S*** out of me!

If I have some spare time I'd love to do some work, when you get a list of what you need together and rough prices for things let me know :)

32. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

Skrillex, is that you? xD

33. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What?