Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Mixamo rig Blender to Unity Issue

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Andrzej828, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

Hello! I have been having a lot of trouble with exporting rigs from Blender to Unity.

Before I state my current problem, I think the context is pretty important (there seems to be a pattern here): initially I made a custom rig, which, after a lot of forcing, I managed to get the animations looking mostly similar to the way they look in Blender, except for two problems. 1) Unity interpreted the feet bones as not moving, and 2) Unity decided that the entire prefab would get animated as part of the animation, not just the bones of the armature (even though the rig was perfectly zeroed and the armature itself had no animation).
    upload_2023-12-3_23-57-15.png
    So I tried a bunch of stuff. The next thing I tried was a Rigify rig which worked a bit better but the entire rig was still moving. Based on what you see here, you might think this is a weight paint issue, which, yeah sure it probably is, BUT that can be solved, what can't be solved here is that this squashing is happening because the entire prefab is being animated - NOT just the bones of the animation.
    upload_2023-12-4_0-0-11.png

Finally, there was the mixamo rig. There were 2 different issues with it.
    1) At first the movement was considerable, as above, although the weight painting at least seemed to have turned out a bit better.
    2) I tried changing the root motion setting to Armature instead of None, and also tried Root Transform and Armature -> Hips. I also tried these for the rigify rig. When setting to Root Transform, the prefab was no longer moving. However, the hip bone was now moving, even though it wasn't given any motion in the animation, and in Blender it isn't affected by the rig's controls or anything.
    upload_2023-12-4_0-8-58.png
    Does that explain the problem well? TLDR, 1) I don't understand why the prefab moves by default as part of the animation when everything is zeroed in Blender and isn't animation, and 2) I don't understand why bones that I didn't animate are still moving after I tweak some settings in the import. And 3) I am hoping for a solution :S

Thanks greatly for your time!

Attached Files:

2. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

I'm really at a loss with this, if anyone can help me out I would immensely appreciate it :)
    TLDR: No matter what rig I use, bones inside the animation (specifically the Hip bone) will be affected by the animation in Unity even if they are NOT part of the animation in Blender - note this is NOT a weight paint issue.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  3. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

Hi, I need to bump this again because it seems like this is some sort of deep issue that no one knows about... if anyone could at least point me somewhere or even to some sort of consultation service or something (I searched quickly for one, I don't know that any exist)

4. Andrzej828

Andrzej828

I guess I'll bump this one last time, if no one has any insights on this I'll see if I can start from the ground up again, maybe I'll notice something I missed. But if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate any help :)