Search Unity

Mixamo Contest- Void Pirate

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Origin, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Origin

Origin

Hello everybody. I am trying to come up with something for the Mixamo contest. I am not a character artist so I would appreciate any input on anatomy and the like....

Open in new tab for bigger view.

She will soon get an outfit and junk. And I know the hands are crap, I will hopefully fix that eventually.:D

2. Rya

Rya

I'd do her.

Looks good man! I would suggest maybe slightly less large hips?

3. Origin

Origin

Thanks Rya, I made the hips a bit mor narrow, perhaps not so evident in the render below however....

I got the outfit going a bit, more hopefully later today/tonight. I think I am also going to give her a sort of teched out peg leg, and try to add in some additional techy junk. I am sort of concepting as I go. I am a terrible 2d artist so.....

Any input would be awesome.

4. stefmen

stefmen

yeah just reduce the hips a bit and keep the 8 head units in mind and your good to go

5. nipoco

nipoco

The hips are pretty ok IMO.
    And 8 heads are too much. That idea comes from a decade where people like Loomis were thinking that 8 heads are the ideal height for an heroic appearance. The average woman is about 6.5 to 7 heads tall.

Good work so far!

6. Origin

Origin

Thanks for the input guys. She is about 7 heads tall,

Also have an update. I redid the shirt a bit, added a quick hair concept, and tried to do up some folds on the skirt. The shirt is still WIP, details to come. Input on all of that, especially the folds on the skirt would be very helpful.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. goat

goat

I would make the face more womanly (mostly the jawline but applying the right texture might fix that, no one said she needed to be a supermodel) and the sleeves more form fitting. The toes of the boot I would make pointy as well as the heels but not to pointy on the heels.

The calfs and ankles seem too thick.

I really like the hair, corset, skirt and the direction of the model.

8. Origin

Origin

The calves and ankles are definitely to large. I didn't worry to much about them because I am going to be replacing, probably the right leg, with a sort of teched out "peg leg," and the left leg will probably have a knee high boot of some sort.

I will also see about fixing up her jaw a bit, I want her to be at least somewhat attractive haha.

Thanks for your input man.

9. virror

virror

Yes, face needs some work, looks a bit lice Conan with a skirt now : p
    Folding looks very good i think, but it looks a bit like there is a small airflow from beneath making the skirt stand out a bit from the body.
    But very good overall : )

10. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

great progress ;) I like her hair and the skirt folds look good.

11. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

looks good what you got so far, looking forward to seeing those concept ideas put into play. Right now there is not much Cyborg over it, but I guess that will be taken care of soon. Good luck

12. Origin

Origin

Added in some armor bits and made some adjustments as suggested.

Only 9 days to go and this weekend is my B-day... I hope I have time to finish. :S

13. Origin

Origin

A bit more progress.

14. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looking great, the new gloves work much better than the flared out sleeves. The shoulder/neck armor is very cool too. Nice job :)

15. Origin

Origin

Thanks Nomad.

More work done. Not sure if this is the finished sculpt or not. I will probably go on to adding in some damage detail and see what happens. ....

16. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I really like the design so far but you might run into problems with the T-Stance and/or arm lifting with the really solid lookingshoulder pad.

17. Mixamo

Mixamo

Great news, the Contest has been extended based on contestants requesting more time. We've agreed to end the contest by one week.

The new END DATE is MAY 4th @ 11:59PM PST

If you have already submitted feel free to refine the entry and resubmit! Otherwise, we'll see you at the end of the contest!

18. Origin

Origin

Thanks for the heads up and the extra time, will allow me to make a much better finished product, hopefully. :D

Update: finished the retop, baked maps, and started texturing. I also changed the hair. I think I might change up the corset a bit, and perhaps the gloves as well, in regards to the direction the texture is currently going in. I think they seem a bit uninteresting. Anyway, more updates later.

Open image in new tab for bigger view.

19. Origin

Origin

More progress. :O

EDIT: Last update for the night. Got the specular map started, and some other junk.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  20. Origin

Origin

Tweaked the specular a bit. Would be incredibly helpful to get some input on how the metal, especially, is looking.

Open in new tab.

21. NomadKing

NomadKing

I think the metal looks great, but overall the model looks very red. Red hair, red clothes, red armor etc. The bright part of the dress seems to stand out a little too much, it's the first thing my eye is drawn to - although this could be because of the very dark background your rendering on (which is also hiding the dark brown in the body and making the red stand out).

It's a great model, I just don't think the colour balance of the textures is quite there :)

22. Origin

Origin

Thanks Nomad. I did some color changes, still need to work on some things, but this is where I got tonight. I have been trying to fix the hot spots on the dress here and there, but I think it is mostly due to the lighting. I will fix it somehow.....

Screen grab using Xoliul shader.

23. NomadKing

NomadKing

That's a great shade of purple on the armor, I love the way it slightly reddens in the shadows :)

24. Origin

Origin

Well, I didn't get to make some fixes I wanted to do, but it is the deadline....

Good luck to everybody, but I hope you all lose. :p

Here is what I turned in.

25. NomadKing

NomadKing

Somehow all the little flaws seem less important once you see the final pose. Looks great - good luck with the contest :)

26. therealnoz

therealnoz

The red of that dress makes the image kind of hard to look at. It makes the dress look cartoony and the rest of the model mundane.

27. Origin

Origin

The color makes it look cartoony and mundane? Care to elaborate a bit? I am not sure how the color would make it look this way....

28. win XD

win XD

great work pal! glad you finished it!