Search Unity

Mix Directional Light Error in Unity 2017

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by NestorAlgieri, Aug 12, 2017.

1. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

I have attached a sample project to demonstrate a problem with light mapping in Unity 2017

1.) Open it with Unity 5.3.4p3:
    2.) Bake it
    3.) toggle the Directional light in the scene

Result:

Only Shadow gets turned on and off. This is the correct behavior.

1.) Open with Unity 2017.1
    2.) Bake it
    3.) toggle the Directional light in the scene

Result:

Shadow gets turned on and off. BUT the Light probes and Dynamic Object(sphere) also gets toggled.

Why did this change in recent version?

Thx

Attached Files:

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you no longer have a light active how is the sphere going to receive realtime direct light?

3. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Try the sample project in the 2 unity versions. See the different behavior.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I see, I guess this use case is not exactly covered by the modes.

If I understand correctly, what you want is for everything to be fully baked and just have dynamic objects cast subtractive shadows and nothing else.

5. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Yes. How do I achieve that with Unity 2017? Because for mobile, this performance is now degraded....

6. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @nepoez

Currently, the difference you see in behaviour of Subtractive mixed mode is by design (for consistency reasons across dynamic and static objects) but I can see the point in your use case. To clarify: you want your static objects to use baked lightmaps only and your dynamic objects to be lit through light probes?

If this is the case, then you can use a workaround by making your static objects use a shader that ignores direct lighting and dynamic objects sample lighting through light probes with a simple Lambert shader. Is that applicable?

7. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hi @kemalakay

You are slightly off. I believe you are under the impression that the directional(mixed) light is lighting the static objects in real-time. That's not the case. For Unity 2017 The directional(mixed) light is lighting the dynamic objects in real-time, casting shadows in real-time, also the dynamic objects are lit by light probes too. This is using enlighten light mapper. If I used Progressive, then you would be correct. This is why I stopped using Progressive because it's even worse for mobile performance for what I need.

The behavior I want, is what Unity 5.3.4p3 provides where the directional (mixed) light only does one thing in real-time, which is cast shadows from dynamic objects onto static objects. Everything else is baked. So the only thing calculated in real-time is shadows. I use mobile diffuse for shaders for dynamic obj to cast shadow and the static objs to receive shadows.

Hopefully you can help me solve this!

Thank you.