Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Mix Directional Light Error in Unity 2017

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by nepoez, Aug 12, 2017.

1. nepoez

nepoez

I have attached a sample project to demonstrate a problem with light mapping in Unity 2017

1.) Open it with Unity 5.3.4p3:
    2.) Bake it
    3.) toggle the Directional light in the scene

Result:

Only Shadow gets turned on and off. This is the correct behavior.

1.) Open with Unity 2017.1
    2.) Bake it
    3.) toggle the Directional light in the scene

Result:

Shadow gets turned on and off. BUT the Light probes and Dynamic Object(sphere) also gets toggled.

Why did this change in recent version?

Thx

Attached Files:

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

If you no longer have a light active how is the sphere going to receive realtime direct light?

3. nepoez

nepoez

Try the sample project in the 2 unity versions. See the different behavior.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I see, I guess this use case is not exactly covered by the modes.

If I understand correctly, what you want is for everything to be fully baked and just have dynamic objects cast subtractive shadows and nothing else.

5. nepoez

nepoez

Yes. How do I achieve that with Unity 2017? Because for mobile, this performance is now degraded....

6. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @nepoez

Currently, the difference you see in behaviour of Subtractive mixed mode is by design (for consistency reasons across dynamic and static objects) but I can see the point in your use case. To clarify: you want your static objects to use baked lightmaps only and your dynamic objects to be lit through light probes?

If this is the case, then you can use a workaround by making your static objects use a shader that ignores direct lighting and dynamic objects sample lighting through light probes with a simple Lambert shader. Is that applicable?

7. nepoez

nepoez

Hi @kemalakay

You are slightly off. I believe you are under the impression that the directional(mixed) light is lighting the static objects in real-time. That's not the case. For Unity 2017 The directional(mixed) light is lighting the dynamic objects in real-time, casting shadows in real-time, also the dynamic objects are lit by light probes too. This is using enlighten light mapper. If I used Progressive, then you would be correct. This is why I stopped using Progressive because it's even worse for mobile performance for what I need.

The behavior I want, is what Unity 5.3.4p3 provides where the directional (mixed) light only does one thing in real-time, which is cast shadows from dynamic objects onto static objects. Everything else is baked. So the only thing calculated in real-time is shadows. I use mobile diffuse for shaders for dynamic obj to cast shadow and the static objs to receive shadows.

Hopefully you can help me solve this!

Thank you.

unityunity