Search Unity

Resolved misunderstanding timeline animation tracks?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by skyser5, Apr 20, 2021.

1. skyser5

skyser5

Hello, I have 3 characters (with Animators) that I want to play the same sequence of anims on simultaneously. I created a Timeline with 3 animation tracks that have identical anims on them. I assigned a different character's Animator to each track (see image).

The problem is that when I scrub the preview or in Run mode only the first (top) character plays, not the other two. What am I not understanding or doing wrong? Thank you! Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 8.59.33 AM.png

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Are the clips valid for these characters?

3. skyser5

skyser5

Yes, all 3 chars are from the same Synty pack. The clips work fine on the first character.

4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Hmm..
    Hard to tell from just a screenshot. That should work.

You can file a bug with your data, and if you paste the bug number here, I'll take a look at it.

5. skyser5

skyser5

SOLVED! Thanks for your quick response David. It helped to know I wasn't nuts. You won't believe the stupid answer. It WAS working. It's just that the 1st char was very large and obscuring the other chars. I applied transform offsets to them so I could see everybody finally!

Could you please explain what applying scene transform does?

6. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

The doc does give a decent explanation of it, but I'll be happy to answer more pointed questions if you need clarifications.

7. skyser5

skyser5

Great. So is it fair to say then that Apply Transform Offset is an absolute value and Apply Scene Transform is a relative value?

8. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

Pretty much.

Transform offsets will give you absolute offsets*. Your Timeline will always play in the same position/rotation.

Scene offsets will give you offsets relative to the starting position of objects at the start of the Timeline. If your object is somehow rotated 90 degrees then the whole track will be rotated 90 degrees.

*If your animated object is parented to another Transform, then the offset will still be relative to that transform.